Internet sharing of chords, lyrics targeted..sheet music thi

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

Internet sharing of chords, lyrics targeted..sheet music thi

Post by MarkB »

this time in the next round in the internet music fight: From the CBC:

Internet sharing of chords, lyrics targeted
Last Updated Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:06:15 EST
CBC Arts
The U.S.-based Music Publishers Association is calling for a halt to websites that share song chords and lyrics.

The move is an escalation in the copyright war against file-sharing on the internet.

Guitar licks and song scores are widely available on the internet but are "completely illegal," association president Lauren Keiser told the BBC.

The sites seldom have sheet music, such as a music publisher would print, but outline guitar chords for amateur musicians trying to pick out their favourite songs. They also have text of the lyrics.

Amateur guitarists and bass players have long copied popular songs by ear. The internet has become an alternative source for when they can't figure out a chord.

Keiser called for closing of sites that share guitar licks and lyrics and recommended jail time for site administrators who don't comply.

A U.S. Supreme Court decision in June opened the door for lawsuits against file-sharing websites, especially those that encourage sharing of songs and movies.

The recording industry has begun taking action against websites and software developers, but this is the first salvo by music publishers.

"The Xerox machine was the big usurper of our potential income," Keiser said. "But now the internet is taking more of a bite out of sheet music and printed music sales so we're taking a more proactive stance."

This week U.K. music publisher Warner/Chappell sent a cease-and-desist letter to the developer of song-lyric search software, pearLyrics.

The company claims pearLyrics "enables people to copy and download lyrics" and that is a copyright infringement equivalent to copying songs online.

PearLyrics worked with Apple's iTunes, searching the internet to find lyrics for songs in a user's collection.

"I just don't see why pearLyrics should infringe the copyright of Warner Chappell because all I'm doing is searching publicly available websites," pearLyrics developer Walter Ritter said.

Ritter has complied and killed the application. However, there are dozens of other search engines, including general-use search engines such as Explorer, that can be used to search for song lyrics.

The MPA plans a co-ordinated legal campaign in 2006, targeting the largest, most popular sites that carry song scores and lyrics, according to Keiser. The association has not said which sites it intends to shut down, but says it will pursue strong legal action.

Copyright ©2005 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

So get what you can when you can get it!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Internet sharing of chords, lyrics targeted..sheet music

Post by chas »

MarkB wrote:
Copyright ©2005 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved
Geez, Mark, maybe the next thing they'll go after is people copying newswire stories. :lol:

I never understood the complaint about copying lyrics. I can't think of any way in which it hurts the artist or publishing company. Maybe they're better off if someone sings it with the wrong lyrics or doesn't like it because he hears the wrong lyrics or can't understand a damn word that comes out of the singer's mouth??
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Internet sharing of chords, lyrics targeted..sheet music

Post by peteinmn »

chas wrote:
...... can't understand a damn word that comes out of the singer's mouth??
Louie Louie !!
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

This development is sick. Interested, involved consumers consume more, not less (I didn't steal anything in my whistle collection, but I shamelessly copied a few designs for DIY's!). When I learn a tune off an internet tab that was thoughtfully and generously created by another interested amature, I am far more likely to spend $$ on concert tix and CDs.

I saw some recent data that addresses the issue of (audio) downloading vs. consumerism - anyone got that handy?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
missy

Post by missy »

I'll go along with all this police crap when I know that everyone artist that belongs to ASCAP, BMI, etc. actually gets some type of re-embursement from all this collecting of fees (and not just the lawyers).
I won't hold my breath, however............
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The Globe and Mail already have enough on their plate right now, with a case going to the Canadian Supreme Court. The problem is if you just post the link, very few people go and read it, if I post the story without references then I could be accused of just making it up. So I go for the full citation of an article.

The music recording industry, music publishing industry don't seem to understand that the cat is out of the bag, and the barn door is wide open.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
djm

Post by djm »

Those b@$t@rd f^x. This really gets me going. If I knew how to organize an international protest I would stage a one-month no music purchases of any kind through legal channels. That includes iPods and mp3's, etc. We can live without them a lot more than they can live without us. This is just gouging by the reptiles. Most of the stuff people share in lyrics and notes/tablature isn't even available from the music publishing industry.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

djm wrote:Those b@$t@rd f^x. This really gets me going. If I knew how to organize an international protest I would stage a one-month no music purchases of any kind through legal channels. That includes iPods and mp3's, etc. We can live without them a lot more than they can live without us. This is just gouging by the reptiles. Most of the stuff people share in lyrics and notes/tablature isn't even available from the music publishing industry.

djm
Yeah! I'll donate my last SOCAN cheque to the cause ($2.73 Canadian).

(Please forgive my hyperbole)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I wounder what the implications are for our public library system. Seems like a universal book burning to me. I am with you djm, stop supporting the entertainment industry for a month or two and see if they change there tone.

Take care

Tom
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Great idea. But how to make it happen.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

one thing I try to do is purchase all CD's directly from the artist, if possible. Other than Elderly Music, I can't think of the last time I purchased a CD through a store or third person vendor (I only did the Elderly because I couldn't find a website for the CD I wanted).
Missy

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Imagine a world where all culture needs royalties. What if you had to pay to sing the "Happy Birthday to You" song? Imagine telling a class room that they could not sing that song on a friend’s birthday. Because the royalties were not paid.

Oh wait, you don't have to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You

This pales to the Australian Copyright laws that effectively makes it so that there is no public domain
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
missy

Post by missy »

yeah- "Happy Birthday" is the song I refer to when talking about the stupidness of this stuff. Most people think that restaurants sing their own little versions to be "cute" - not realizing it's because of the copyright laws.

FYI - I have nothing against paying someone for intellectual property use, and we paid all our fees to Harry Fox for our CD, or directly to the composer in one case.
I have a problem paying lawyers, and the artist getting little or nothing of the payments. One friend told me he's been a member of either ASCAP or BMI (I forget which) for over 25 years, and has gotten one check for $22 in all that time. He still thinks that one was a mistake.
Missy

MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

This is so bizarre :o

Whats next? The Music Publishers Association will lead a small squad of pub spies taking notes of buskers and live musicians playing anything not in public domain?

Will it be legal to learn a tune by ear without first making a purchace?

I wonder how long it will take before the artists them selves get fed up with this exorbitant behaviour and distribute their work with some sort of GNU license?

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
djm

Post by djm »

MarcusR wrote:Whats next? The Music Publishers Association will lead a small squad of pub spies taking notes of buskers and live musicians playing anything not in public domain?
I have heard that this is exactly what has been happening in some bars in Ireland and England, but I don't know if it is true or just scaremongering. Apparently these guys go in looking for sessions or bands playing what may have been thought to be public domain music. The owners must pay licensing fees to be allowed to have the music played there at all.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.