Big Daddy Bass Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
picardy third
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Big Daddy Bass Whistles

Post by picardy third »

Hi everyone,

Long time no see.

A few days ago there was a link to Tony Hinnigan's website. After seeing his demonstration of the bass A Chieftain, I got to thinking...I want one!

So I was wondering how many have taken the plunge and play whistles below tenor C? I'm very comfortable on my Overton D and think I would like to go a little lower.

Anyone here have experience with these monsters?

nate
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield has mentioned them recently. See his posts in these threads:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=451393
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... c&start=24
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I've had low Ds for a long time of course, but just recently got three (Bernard) Overton low lows: A C, a Bb, and an A.

All terrific fun to play, if you can play them: I am not pretending that a mutated, slime-dwelling. 4-foot hobbit with short fingers can play these things.

If you are fairly handy, you'll get used to them fairly quickly. The sound is just stunning. But I don't pretend that these are much more than novelty items. I do have plans to use mine at gigs, though.
/Bloomfield
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield wrote:If you are fairly handy...
Well played.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have a few Overtons includingBass A and a Tenor C. I like them both. The Bass A is at about my finger limit right now, but that is what I thought about my Tenor D when I first got it. After playing the A for a while (v e r y slowly to be sure!) it sure makes my D seem like a Low F!!!! Really stretches the fingers out, it does.

Bloom, where did you get your Bb from? I really NEED one of those!!!! :P
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

The Bb it nice... and you'll be interested to know that while I bought it from someone in Illinois, she in turn had not bought the whistle directly from the maker. The whistle is engraved "T St C".

Of course, I have no idea what those letters could possibly stand for. :)
/Bloomfield
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Bloomfield wrote:The Bb it nice... and you'll be interested to know that while I bought it from someone in Illinois, she in turn had not bought the whistle directly from the maker. The whistle is engraved "T St C".

Of course, I have no idea what those letters could possibly stand for. :)
Thanks, I was just hoping that Colin had the batch done. :cry:

And don't say things like that while I am trying to swallow!!! :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bloom, where did you get your Bb from? I really NEED one of those!!!! :P[/quote]

I have asked him several times to sell. But he would not say yes or no. :)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Alba makes a Bb. Daniel Bingamon makes them down to Low Low Bass C of course it has keys to cover the holes.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tommy wrote:Bloom, where did you get your Bb from? I really NEED one of those!!!! :P
I have asked him several times to sell. But he would not say yes or no. :)[/quote]
Do you really need it? I might be able to do just with low C and low low A... Hmmmm. I do like the Bb, though. :)
/Bloomfield
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bloomfield wrote:
Tommy wrote:Bloom, where did you get your Bb from? I really NEED one of those!!!! :P
I have asked him several times to sell. But he would not say yes or no. :)
Do you really need it? I might be able to do just with low C and low low A... Hmmmm. I do like the Bb, though. :)[/quote]

Well at least you replied, in the finest of Bloomfield style. Nothing definitive, perhaps something inferred, and a question with a question.
Similarities of an english professor of the gifted and talented.

Do we want what we need or, need what we want? Of course the answer to the compound question here, in America is yes. Buy and sell to keep the economy intact. However I could live on bread and wine alone and just sing, with no whistles?......

Happy Holidays :)
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Bass A whistle eh... What's next, a Bass D whistle with keys? :o My hands, are more designed for the higher end, I can barely cover the holes on a low D. Ah well, here's to people with big hands!
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Bloomfield wrote: "I am not pretending that a mutated, slime-dwelling. 4-foot hobbit with short fingers can play these things."

On behalf of myself and all others similarly situated--due to no fault of our own--in this already downtrodden class, I cannot help but be offended. The absence of additional disparaging remarks about thinning and graying hair is, however, duly noted.

Tom D.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Key_of_D wrote:Bass A whistle eh... What's next, a Bass D whistle with keys? :o My hands, are more designed for the higher end, I can barely cover the holes on a low D. Ah well, here's to people with big hands!
Daniel Bingamon of www.tinwhistles.us will any make any size with keys.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Look. I beg you people to come to your senses. With all due respect to Bernard Overton and Colin Goldie, doesn't anyone else see that the phrase "Bass Whistle" is an oxymoron?