New Tipple Headjoint

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New Tipple Headjoint

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I am introducing a new Tipple headjoint with a lip plate. The extra thickness of the lip plate allows me to cut an embouchure with a greater chimney depth, making my flutes play more like a standard wooden Irish flute. For details, verbal comments, and comparison audio clips, please visit my website. here

Since this is a commercial announcement, please send any questions or comments to me by PM or email. Thank you.
talasiga

Re: New Tipple Headjoint

Post by talasiga »

Doug_Tipple wrote:......

Since this is a commercial announcement, please send any questions or comments to me by PM or email. Thank you.

It would be pretty hard for me to make a commercial post.
Most of my posts are priceless .....
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New Tipple Headjoint

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

talasiga wrote:

It would be pretty hard for me to make a commercial post.
Most of my posts are priceless .....

Eeeeeeeeuuuuuwwww !.......that one certainly was ! :lol: :o
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

You are certainly getting to the top end of plastic flute makers Doug. I think it's a good innovation and am a little surprised by Michael saying the shallow chimney is easier for newbies, but bow to his better knowledge.
Some makers file away a lot of the body of the lip plate on the far side from the mouth, presumably to let the air flow (escape) more easily, I see this on some Healy's and others even on Boehm system very expensive exotic metal headjoints, I don't know if it has any real effect but easy enough to do on yours I would think, just another idea to find you something to do.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
Dana

Post by Dana »

Wow, the clips really sound good. Your "improved" flutes are sounding more and more like wood to me. 'May have to try one sometime...

Dana
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Doug, that's pretty brilliant. Sounds beautiful :)
William Bajzek
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Hi Doug,
that is a great development! Better and better!

Have you tried to make a head with the wedge, and drill the emb. hole through the wedge? That way you get extra depth without adding a lip plate.
Just an idea.

All the best,
Hans
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

hans' signature wrote:The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here and you are out there. -Yasutani Roshi
The fundamental humanity of delusion is the supposition of differences that evince relationalities - Talasiga Sabu
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

hans wrote:Have you tried to make a head with the wedge, and drill the emb. hole through the wedge? That way you get extra depth without adding a lip plate.
My Tipple flute is one with all-copper tenons, which can't be upgraded with a lip plate.

I tried to sort of simulate the extra depth of a lip plate by moving the wedge up until it almost touched the blow edge of the embouchure hole. Originally, I had the wedge positioned far edge and this change necessitated a change in my embouchure. For 1st octave notes, my lips are stretched more in that flutey frown. The lip opening became rounded to sound the second octave.

For this mod, I put double-sided tape along the full-length of the bottom of the wedge for the extra tack so that it would stay put (during play, the wedge is hanging upside down). The wedge must be positioned carefully. If it sticks out over the blow edge at all, the sound is weakened. Popping the wedge to reposition is easy, however.

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yeah, we're all out there, me included.

Looks awfully good, Doug.