Yummy Fruit Bats

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Yummy Fruit Bats

Post by peteinmn »

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/30/scien ... virus.html

It seems that the source of the Ebola virus may have been found at long last. This has been a mystery for many years. I won’t be having fried bat for dinner any more!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

It says I have to register to read the article.

Well, forget that! :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Bugmenot.com will give you a pre-registered fake login/passwd so you
don't have to register.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Here's another article from another source.

Fruit Bats Likely Hosts of Deadly Ebola Virus
Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
November 30, 2005

Bats eaten by people in central Africa may host the deadly Ebola virus, according to new research.

The wild reservoir of the killer virus has long been a mystery, despite a number of deadly outbreaks in humans and great apes.

Researchers have now found evidence of Ebola infection in three species of fruit bats. The bats show no symptoms of the disease, indicating that they might be spreading it.

"Fruit bats are likely the reservoirs [of Ebola]," said Eric Leroy of the Centre International de Recherches Médicales de Franceville in Gabon, who led the research. "But we can not exclude definitively that other species may harbor the Ebola virus [too]."

Understanding where the disease hides between outbreaks and how it is spread should help protect both humans and great apes from the virus.

The findings appear tomorrow in the science journal Nature.

Trapping Expeditions

The Ebola virus was named after the Ebola River in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the site of a 1976 outbreak.

The pathogen kills anywhere from 50 to 90 percent of its human victims through massive internal bleeding. A simple handshake can transmit the disease, which has no known cure.

In the past five years, Ebola outbreaks in Gabon and the Democratic Republic of the Congo have killed 263 people in total. The outbreaks also devastated local gorilla and chimpanzee populations.

No one knows how the disease entered the first human or ape, but scientists have long suspected that bats may be spreading the virus. Earlier experiments have shown that bats survive after being injected with the Ebola virus.

In the new study, researchers went on three trapping expeditions between 2001 and 2003 in Gabon and the Republic of Congo in areas close to infected gorilla and chimpanzee carcasses.

The scientists captured and tested more than a thousand small animals, mostly bats but also some birds and small land-based vertebrates, for evidence of Ebola infection.

The researchers found that bats of three species—Hypsignathus monstrosus, Epomops franqueti, and Myonycteris torquata—had either genetic material from the Ebola virus, known as RNA sequences, or evidence of an immune response to the disease. The bats showed no symptoms themselves.

The tests indicated that "Ebola probably has spent a long time within bats … suggesting that bats might be the origin" of the virus, Leroy said.

However, the amout of viral RNA found in the bats was extremely low, and the scientists were unable to isolate the virus itself.

Wide Range

Ebola spreads rapidly and easily among humans. A typical outbreak involves a person contracting the disease from some source in the forest and then infecting family members and neighbors.

Similar transmission probably occurs among chimps and gorillas.

The 2001 and 2003 outbreaks took place over a vast area—more than 150 square miles (400 square kilometers). This suggests that the natural Ebola host could also be active over a large area.

Each of the three bat species that tested positive for Ebola has a broad geographical range that includes regions of Africa where human Ebola outbreaks occur. People in these areas are known to eat bats.

"With our findings on Ebola we hope that bat taxonomy and bio-ecology will finally develop and be funded," said Jean Paul Gonzalez of the Research Center for Emerging Viral Diseases in Nakhonpathom, Thailand.

"This group has been neglected for years because [of] the lack of funding," said Gonzalez, who co-authored the study. "The consequence is that we were not able to do efficient research on bats as a potential reservoir of emerging viral diseases, in particular."

Although there is no evidence of Ebola infection in other animals that show no symptoms of the disease, researchers say they cannot exclude the possibility that some species other than fruit bats may be the reservoir.

There is also speculation that bats could be intermediate hosts.

Leroy, the study team leader, notes that if the bats carry the virus and can spread it, the number of human cases could be reduced by educating local residents about the dangers of eating the animals.

But he says bats should not be culled because of their suspected involvement in spreading the disease.

"Absolutely not," he said. "They play an important role in the ecological chain. The risk of direct contamination is very weak. We just have to know the potential risks in the contact of bats … and take some prevention measures."
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'm not going to shake hands with any fruit bats ever again.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

My mom used to warn me about "hanging" around with fruit bats.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

TelegramSam wrote:It says I have to register to read the article.

Well, forget that! :lol:
It's free, then you can read most of the Times every day.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

What the article and the research have yet to tell is how Ebola gets from bat host to human victim. Eating it? (HIGHLY unlikely) Getting bitten while catching the bat? Inhaling aerosolized bat dung or urine (possible...this is the primary vector for the Hantavirus).

Still so much to find out about emerging diseases.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Tyg, you didn't read the artice properly!
peteinmn wrote:A simple handshake can transmit the disease.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fearfaoin wrote:Bugmenot.com will give you a pre-registered fake login/passwd so you
don't have to register.
Butmenot also has a Firefox plugin..so when you get a page like that, all you have to do is right-click, choose Bugmenot, and it fetches an ID fills it in for you. I haven't registered at a news site in a long long time.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Martin Milner wrote:Tyg, you didn't read the artice properly!
peteinmn wrote:A simple handshake can transmit the disease.
I didn't realize that it was customary to shake hands with one's dinner there. :wink:
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

''Now that I've answered all of your questions, mind if I ask one of my own? If the moon were made out of corked bats, would you eat it? 'Cuz I know I would...''

from
http://www.msbaseball.com
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tyler Morris wrote:Image
''Now that I've answered all of your questions, mind if I ask one of my own? If the moon were made out of corked bats, would you eat it? 'Cuz I know I would...''

from
http://www.msbaseball.com
Oooooo, harsh! Oh well, Sammy's gone.

But regarding the topic of fruit bats, and abstaining from ingesting them, I honestly feel that it is really not going to be much of an issue.... as I never thought their flavor was very fruity to begin with. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

They're really sweet looking critters.
Eating them seems inadvisable regardless.
djm

Post by djm »

The seeds get stuck in my teeth.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.