Missing them.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gerrymceltic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Missing them.

Post by gerrymceltic »

Had to leave my pratise-set with Eamonn Curran as they needed an overhaul.The thing is,after all the heartache you get with only starting off,I'm missing them!!Is this normal,if not what should I do. :-?
Slán Gerry.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Gerry this is normal so don't worry too much. It's only natural that after so much time that you two have spent together that your seperation will have this effect.
Try visualisation and perhaps some role play, (you could invite several close friends to participate in this)
If all else fails and only as a last resort you could try this

Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

im sure this short separation will be good for both of ye. absense makes the heart grow fonder. yours pipes will be much improved. eamonn's a great man, ur pipes are in good hands.
Big Time
Thies

Post by Thies »

benwalker wrote:[...]
If all else fails and only as a last resort you could try this
What's wrong with a Bohemian Bock? They are not too bad ... :wink:
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

benwalker wrote:Gerry this is normal so don't worry too much. It's only natural that after so much time that you two have spent together that your seperation will have this effect.
Try visualisation and perhaps some role play, (you could invite several close friends to participate in this).
... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... time to clean of the screen of my PC monitor, blow my nose and pour another cuppa. :lol:
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

if you don't have one already, get a penywhistle & jam until they're back!
:party:
gerrymceltic

Missing them

Post by gerrymceltic »

Can't play the whistle,but thankfully we hope to be reunited this weekend,as you say,absense does make the heart fonder and from now on I'm going to pratice even harder. :)
Gerry.
P.S.Ben,what is that.
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

Do any of you notice the set screws on the chanter of that Bock Pipe, next to the tone holes? This is where Andreas Rogge gets the set screw idea for narrowing the tone holes on his UP regulators.
My Bock (and my Slask Gajdy from S.W. Poland) only has one screw on the chanter, to tune the lowest note of the scale, and it works very well!
In the old days it was just beeswax over the hole and reshaped everytime it was played, as that bottom note changed (see my Wielkopolski Duda).
I don't know WHEN the Czechs went to set screws, but I saw a Czech Bock back in the 1970s, that had the same idea as the one in the photo, a set screw for each note of the scale. It belonged to the Scots piper Jamie Reid, of Edinburgh, and made by the famous Czech Piper and Maker, Jakob Konrady(RIP). Just thought you would like to know that DEE TAIL!
Cheers to everybody in Belfast! Sean Folsom
djm

Post by djm »

GerryMcC wrote:Can't play the whistle
If you can play UPs you can play whistle (unless you're missing a lip or a lung). I find it easier to pick out tunes on the whistle first, without the distraction of bags and bellows, and then transferring everything to the pipes later.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
gerrymceltic

missing them

Post by gerrymceltic »

The pipes are the first instrument I every tried apart from the recorder which I had to do in school.I asked a couple of pipers if it was ok to start on the pipes and they said yes, but I also asked about learning the whistle at the same time,but they told me to stick to the pipes.I think there thinking was just go for the pipes.I'll be interested in your thoughts.
Gerry
djm

Post by djm »

Whistle is dirt easy for just picking out tunes. You don't have to become Mary Bergin just to play a simple tune (but wouldn't your parents be surprised if you did!). I think you will find most pipers play the whistle. It doesn't have to be your prime instrument.

BTW, pipers make fine whistlers. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
gerrymceltic

missing them

Post by gerrymceltic »

I know this might sound strange but I'm the first person in my family to play and like Irish music.My wife says it's all down to her but I've always liked the music.It's surprising how many people,how should I put it,from my side of the fence don't like Irish music.