care of the metal on metal tuning slide?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

care of the metal on metal tuning slide?

Post by Tommy »

I have noticed that differant makers of wood instruments have a differant time frame for putting oil in the wood bore. Varies from about one to three months. The care for the metal tuning slide varies also. Some have a case that requires the instrument to be taken apart before putting it in. To me that seems like it would cause excessive wear if it were done every day. And then the slide would be loose and need something to hold it. Seems to me that just keeping the slide clean and turning it a little each month to keep it from getting stuck would be enough?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Storing whistles with metal tuning slides in two pieces is a great idea. Moisture from your breath gets between the two halves of the slide will eventually cause corrosion which can effectively weld the tuning slide together. A loose slide is not difficult to tighten, but a frozen one is a killer to separate. I just received one of Glenn Schultz's whistles for a repair and I had to totally replace the slide.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
syn whistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

A smear of vasoline on the male fitting on a regular basis is also recommended.
So good it has to be a SYN!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

syn whistles wrote:A smear of vasoline on the male fitting on a regular basis is also recommended.
How about just plain old cork grease?

--James
norseman

Post by norseman »

syn whistles wrote:A smear of vasoline on the male fitting on a regular basis is also recommended.
Are we still talking about whistles? :D
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

norseman wrote:
Are we still talking about whistles? :D
I hope so.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Grease to prevent seizing is a good idea, but it can make the connection too loose. I've had success using dental floss to tighten it up again. It's made to spread under pressure.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I usually put some tuning slide grease made for Trumpets, Tubas, Baritones, and the like on it which works fine. Don't use Cork Grease it is made for Cork ad will get sticky on metal.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

If necessary, vaseline or chap stick work best. To keep a slide in good working order, wipe down once in a while with 0000 (ultra fine) steel wool.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

So, is dental floss a generally agreed upon remedy if it's too loose? Or are there other solutions to that problem?
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

Jon-M wrote:So, is dental floss a generally agreed upon remedy if it's too loose? Or are there other solutions to that problem?
If a good coating of beeswax doesn't fill the gaps of a tuning slide that is too loose, I use teflon tape.

Best, John