Whistling Psychology, Part II-- Dreams

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlingSouthpaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingSouthpaw »

Hey, do any of you people have recurring "Whistle Dreams"? I keep having this dream where I find all these whistles, either for sale at a shop of just hiding somewhere in my house. I course, I just have to try them all out, but somehow I wake up before I have a chance!
Is this a common experience, or should I see a psychiatrist?
A Whistling Southpaw (and proud of it!)
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

I have dreams, but not recurring ones.

One was a war about whistles. I was dressed as an American soldier in france in a D-Day like operation. Every enemey soldier that fell had their whistles taken from them. I think there was a bigger purpose, but all I could focus on was whistles.

I have a recurring theme in some of the dreams. People are trying to take or destroy my whistles.

I never get to play my whistles in my dreams.
WhistlingSouthpaw

Wow. How sad.
Actually,the other night I had this dream that C&F was about to go bankrupt. As a last ditch effort to save the "company" Dale had put advertisements and billboards everywhere.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Speaking of bankruptcy and billboards. A year or two ago as a April fools joke a local radio station and the then governor of North Dakota played a prank. A story was aired with an anouncement by the governor that in order to generate revenue for the state billboards would be attached to the state capitol. People fell for it and the radio station was blasted with irate callers.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I had some weird dream where I was going through my pile of whistles looking for my Generation G and kept finding really weird keys (most that don't even exist or make any sense at all)

It was part of a rather strange nightmare. The whistle thing wasn't what made it a nightmare, but it didn't exactly help. Blech.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Rarely does a night go by without me dreaming something about whistles. Usually, there's some kind of frustration involved. Once I found myself wearing baggy latex gloves while trying to play. (I used to wear them at work a lot.) I've picked up what started out as whistles, having them morph into bizarre, wobbly, multi-keyed, countless-holed devices I couldn't get my fingers onto properly. Once, recently, I looked at my feadog and it had holes the entire length of the tube and all the way around. Frequently, I count 8 holes and have to place all my fingers on holes. This makes playing confusing. Occasionally, I kick butt on the whistle and play well. Then, I know I'm dreaming.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Man, I thought I had the whistle "Jones" bad. You guys are crazy (he said in a friendly manner)!

I hear the melodies in my dreams of songs that I have been practicing or more accurately, i wake up sounding them out in my head. That's what I love about playing a single-note instrument (compared to guitar), you can really focus and hear it clearly.

At least we don;t hurt anybody with our obsessions (except their ears?). And for the record, i will never take medication stronger than over-the-counter alcohol, no matter how many whistles, CDs, tunebooks and irish music books I buy.

more whistles, Renfield!
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I always dream tunes I'm learning in my dreams. Sometimes it even gets me over tricky spots on tunes where I get stuck. And then there are some that just keep going on and on and then I end up sticking the wrong second phrases on 'em anyhow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-04-05 15:51 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Geez I never have whistle dreams.
Just this recurring dream of working
in the donut factory punching holes
in donuts. What could it mean, anyway?
dd

Post by dd »

Trust me Jim........YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW!!!
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

I never have whistle dreams, either. I wish I could. No matter how much I play the whistle I only have dreams of playing a flamenco guitar with a group of gypsies in southern Spain. Maybe there really is something to the idea of reincarnation and I am having visions of a past life! Maybe the dreams of playing a whistle will come in my next life when I am a Bodhran player!

Best wishes, Tom
psychih
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by psychih »

i keep having this recurring dream where i'm in a shopping mall, and there's this basket full of low whistles with a sign hanging overhead that says "please take one". you can imagine how tempting that looked. so i walk over only to have everything disappear before me :sad:
WhistlingSouthpaw

Last night I dreamed I found a very small whistle (about 6" long) for sale at some kind of antique mall. What could this mean?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Last night, when I had my recurring
dream of working in the donut
factory punching holes in donuts,
there was a new wrinkle; probably
from reading this thread.

A man approached and handed
me an Overton low D. 'Use this!'
he said. I looked up at him, but
he had no face; yet of course
I recognized him--he was my father.

An odd dream really, as I always
hated my father. Lust for my
mother, you know.
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

The only recurring dream was when I was little I kept dreaming that the freakin Statue of Liberty was chasing me down the street and I kept trying to hide.
I don't dream about things that I like a lot. Like, I've been riding horses and working with them for half of my life, and I've only dreamed about horses maybe twice. I never dream about musical stuff, even though I play music every day.