your first Chieftain?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

your first Chieftain?

Post by Tommy »

I just received in the mail my first Chieftain. It is a pre owned older Low C. It is easy for me to supply the air needed since my first low whistle was a howard, and then also an Overton low d. When I laid them side by side there is only about 1/4'' extra finger reach top and bottom but I do not notice it when playing. I use the pipers grip on all three. The tone of the Chieftain is close to the Overton. I have played Copeland and Burkes but I will not try to say one whistle is better than the other. That is what whoa is for when you like them all. The praise band I play with prefers my low whistle to the highs and I use highs when I do not have a low in the right key. Now with the Chieftain low c I will be able to play also in f.
So when did you buy your first Chieftain?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I bought my first and only Cheiftain from a board member a while ago. It's a high E, and I don't much like it. LOADS of backpressure (the most of any whistle I own), and the sound is... odd.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

My first Chieftain was an OS high D. When I found out that phil had made whistle in Brass (Golds) I bought everyone I could get me hands on, but have since sold all but a Gold Low D.

Great whistles!
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Wilsing

Post by Wilsing »

First Chieftains purchased were "Golds". I now have Chieftain "Golds" in the keys of:

High D
High C
B Flat
Low A
Low G
Low F
Low D

The latest purchase was a new Chieftain Tunable Mezzo A. A fabulous
whistle, beautiful full tone, tuning is dead on.

James
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

NS Low F purchased on this board in June or July.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I bought a multi-colored OS high D Chieftain in late 2001. I later bought the same multi-colored OS in Low D in 2002.

To be frank, I didnt like the Chieftain high D much the first few years because I never mastered the high notes on it. It is now one of my favorites. Whistle control is a wonderful thing to achieve.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I got my first chieftain low D in early 1996...I was still living in the apartment I shared with the girlfriend who I later broke up with, but it was after the girl I later married had given me my first tinwhistle...so that helps me remember when it was ;)

I got it from Lark in the Morning. I was so excited, I opened it at the apartment office and dropped it and dinged the head taking it back to my apartment. ;)

I ended up geting a couple of Chieftain high whistles (Eb and D) from McCabe's Guitar shop a few years later when I was in California on business, but I didn't like the high breath requirements at the time, and ended up selling them. If I'd have kept them, I'd probably be able to do a lot more with them now.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

A ways back I got 3 of them (all non-tuneable) around the same time probably all from Lark in the AM. The Low F was really good, the G sucked more than any whistle I can recall, and the high C was fine, but real loud. I sold 2 and gave 1 (G) away.

Recently I had the opportunity to try out a new Chieftain tuneable high D at a shop in Manhattan - just not my cup of tea.

Are the Gold ones that much different?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
markbell

Post by markbell »

Tommy,

My first Chieftain was (and is) an older low D. It's a workhorse, and I love the sound. It has the usual warming and condensation issues that aluminum whistles do - I soap the windway from time to time. I like this whistle very much.

I briefly owned a newer brass Chieftain in A, that was out of tune, and didn't ever come into tune, no matter how warm it was or how long I played it. That one went back to the seller.

If you haven't yet, check out www.praisewhistlers.com and the board at http://praisewhistlers.proboards57.com/index.cgi

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Jetpiper

Post by Jetpiper »

I just ordered a low D tuneable from Lark in the AM. It will be my first quality whistle. I've been playing a Generation d, and Clarke d pennywhistle, as well as one I can't identify, again in d. They were great for whetting my appetite for this instrument at a super affordable price, but it was time to step it up a notch! I can't wait to get this! Right now they're out of stock. Hopefully it won't be too long before they get 'em in.
Mickey McNamara

Post by Mickey McNamara »

I got a non-tunable low F from Lark in the AM a couple of months ago. Couldn't be happier with it--it's a beautiful whistle and well worth what I paid for it.
tim-hart

Post by tim-hart »

I got my low D about 9 years ago. Nice, throaty sound with a healthy dynamic range. Not the most pristine sound but it's certainly Old Faithful and we've bonded quite nicely over the years... :)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

[quote="Unseen122"]NS Low F purchased on this board in June or July.[/quote

Have you played it in its other key of Bb? And how does it compare to a Generation Bb?