UILLEANN PIPE PRACTICE SET by BRIAN HOWARD on Ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Fergmaun
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

UILLEANN PIPE PRACTICE SET by BRIAN HOWARD on Ebay

Post by Fergmaun »

UILLEANN PIPE PRACTICE SET by BRIAN HOWARD on Ebay.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

......Why am I selling? I continue to be passionate about the sound of other people playing UP’s but I’m not too keen on my own playing! And while nowhere near as loud as the Great Highland Bagpipe, the volume of Uilleann Pipes is rather antisocial and doesn’t fit in with my circumstances too well, I find. Plus, truth be told, I’ve found my trad music soulmate at last – I’ve fallen head over heels in love with the fiddle and want to be single-minded in pursuit of perfection!
maw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maw »

S'pose it can't be helped if some poeple just want to fiddle around... :lol:
Anyway, having said that, I've seen and played Brian's work and it is very nice indeed, a good buy for the winning bidder IMHO.
:party:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

ebay seller wrote:...the volume of Uilleann Pipes is rather antisocial...
Surely he's kidding right?!

And is it just me, or does that blow pipe seem tied in awfuly high up on the bag? (Appears to be one of S. Gallagher's L&M designs)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brian Lee wrote:
ebay seller wrote:...the volume of Uilleann Pipes is rather antisocial...
Surely he's kidding right?!

And is it just me, or does that blow pipe seem tied in awfuly high up on the bag? (Appears to be one of S. Gallagher's L&M designs)

The blow pipe does seem a little higher than I like it.
As for the volume, some UPs can be loud... that, or this fellow has ears as sensitive as a new born baby. :D
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

The seller goes on to say:
ebay seller wrote:...I found them very easily played with only a light bag pressure required across the octaves. No feeling like you've just been for a work out - they really do play on a whisper!
Apparently, there are three reeds with the set also - two of which made by Howard. I would think that at least one of the three could be made to play well in tune without much volume - certainly equal to or LESS than the fiddle, which would be normal for any up chanter anyway yes?
Joseph E. Smith

Brian Lee wrote:The seller goes on to say:
ebay seller wrote:...I found them very easily played with only a light bag pressure required across the octaves. No feeling like you've just been for a work out - they really do play on a whisper!
Apparently, there are three reeds with the set also - two of which made by Howard. I would think that at least one of the three could be made to play well in tune without much volume - certainly equal to or LESS than the fiddle, which would be normal for any up chanter anyway yes?
Yes. I am guessing this fellow is a novice piper, and does not possess the knowledge necessary for tuning and/or adjusting the volume of his reeds. It is a good thing he hasn't messed with them (I am guessing here) and as such, the practice set will be that much nicer to get going for its new caretaker.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

He does state that one of the reeds he (or she?) made themself. Also stated was the fact that it was about as good as the ones Howard made. I'll guess then that either they have a pretty decent knowledge of reeds and adjustments to reach that ability, or Brian Howard is a clutz with no knowledge himself. I'd guess the latter is highly unlikely. :wink: The comments made in that description still seem odd to me, as does that darn placement of the blowpipe.
Joseph E. Smith

Brian Lee wrote:He does state that one of the reeds he (or she?) made themself. Also stated was the fact that it was about as good as the ones Howard made. I'll guess then that either they have a pretty decent knowledge of reeds and adjustments to reach that ability, or Brian Howard is a clutz with no knowledge himself. I'd guess the latter is highly unlikely. :wink: The comments made in that description still seem odd to me, as does that darn placement of the blowpipe.
Odd indeed.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Having a reed there should not be a concern. EVERYONE wants to make their own reed or take it to their favorite reed maker. If an item is reedable, it is OK to take a 'chance'.
Joseph E. Smith

To put this issue of odd comments to rest, I have it on good authority that the seller of this set is indeed inexperienced at both piping and reed making. They are also a former member of this forum... I will not divulge their identity.

Their comments should not in any way reflect the good quality of Brian Howard's pipes or craftsmanship. Let us try and avoid commentary that could spawn another fiasco over set and maker.

Thanks,

JES
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Jim McGuire wrote:If an item is reedable, it is OK to take a 'chance'.
so if I can't reed, doesn't that mean I'm uilliterate?
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Brian Lee wrote: Apparently, there are three reeds with the set also - two of which made by Howard. I would think that at least one of the three could be made to play well in tune without much volume - certainly equal to or LESS than the fiddle, which would be normal for any up chanter anyway yes?
Less than a fiddle?

I frequently play my fiddle (with a mute) during insomniac episodes, say at 3 or 4am, without disturbing or waking anyone else in the house.

Does anyone have a set of uilleann pipes with these same capabilities? I'd be willing to wager a large case of Jamieson's on a contest!
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Jay-eye wrote:Less than a fiddle?

I frequently play my fiddle (with a mute) during insomniac episodes, say at 3 or 4am, without disturbing or waking anyone else in the house.

Does anyone have a set of uilleann pipes with these same capabilities? I'd be willing to wager a large case of Jamieson's on a contest!
I'll take ye bet me boyo!

Certainly a fiddle can be played quietly as well - and with much more ease than the adjustment of a UP reed - simply lighten one's touch with the bow and you'll soften the volume a bit. Of course, on the other hand, I've also heard the very same fiddle roar when the tune caught the player.

I'm talking an average fiddle, played by a typical session or folk player. Most (granted not *all*, but certainly MOST) of the pipes I've played or heard played stood up very well against a solo fiddle - and weren't so loud as to be overbearing or blast the hairs from listeners ears. The balance has always struck me as very pleasing.