Speed Demon!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
oskan_oskula
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Speed Demon!

Post by oskan_oskula »

It seems the best (and only?) way for me to progress with any endeavor is to get myself into a tidy fix about it. Introspection and philosophies aside, whistling is no exception.

So I've been playing (not often enough! stupid coursework!) for about two months now, and having a background in flute (concert and Irish) and piccolo, I've had a decent go of it so far. My one concern (at the moment) is speed.

In the exceedingly under-musical town in which I live, I have endeavored to join the pit orchestra for my college's production of Brigadoon. I'll play whatever they want me to, but I would LOVE to get up to snuff and bring a little Celtic flair to the score.

This is turning into a rant-- what I mean to ask is, are there any particular theories in how to build speed efficiently? Any particular exercises I could do? Tunes I could work on? (aside from the score itself)?

Any advice would be more than welcome!
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

The way to build speed is to use a metronome.

You run the metronome as fast as you can play the tune accurately. When you are comfortable playing at that speed increase the metronome one bpm. Repeat process until you are comfortable again and increase again.

Do not increase more than 1 bpm per day, and only increase when you can play the tune comfortably well at that speed.

It works, but like anything it takes time.

?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

This is what I have been doing, so take with a grain of salt, please....

I signed up for the Amazing SlowDowner.

I put in a CD (like WFO #2) and start with a tune I like at about 60 - 65 % speed.
When I get comfortable, I start increasing the speed incrementally.
It helps me keep the tempo, plus the swing etc.

Last night, I was able to play Roscommon/Sweet Flowers of Milltown at full speed (not, I might add, with all the ornamentation, but I'm workin' on it)

That's a good one for me to practice, because of the lift that tune has.
:-)
Lot's of room for improvement, though!

YMMV
And I play flute preferentially

Mary
tommyk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tommyk »

I second the ASD comment and would like to add that, while physical memory certainly does require more time to learn and must be learned by playing the tune slower than you really want to repeatedly, I have had great success increasing the speed rather faster than 1 bpm per day.
(although I'm not exactly a beginner on whislte)

I learned Cooley's Reel cold in 30 minutes - at speed.
ASD.

[Strict traditionalists be damned; in some areas of the world, it's standard practice to be able to walk into a session several times per day.
I cannot; ASD affords me the ability to get the vast amount of repetition necessary to be able to handle the basic tune comfortably at a session-ready speed, allowing me to focus on ornamentation at a session.]

I played the tune a few times at 50% speed.
Then at 75%; then at 90%, then at 100%.
Worked quite well.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

To play rapidly with precision, practice slowly and deliberately.

In addition to the amazing slowdowner, which I believe costs money, there is an open-source alternative,

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

which has the abilities to slow down a recording, is a working recording studio, can change the pitch of a recording, and is free.

--James
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I would like to agree with the above BUT....

I always had a problem with the beat and breathing being thrown off when I sloooow down a tune.
Also, I dont like to learn a tune EXACTLY as played, necessarily. I like to add what I call the SmootStyle, if you wee-ill. I dont want to sound like Mary Bergin; I want to sound like Smoot.
Consequently I prefer to learn a tune in real-time, concentrating on finger-speed and beat and basic tune, and use a sloooow down tool to learn small passages.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Playing fast on the whistle is just so much fun! I call it "the electric typewriter of all wind instruments." One way I've found to be helpful in practicing for speed is to take a tune and play one passage very fast, interspersed with holding out a note in the next passage. Yes--you are distorting the rhythm to double time--but it sounds OK if you do it evenly. Obviously, you could only do this when playing by yourself. And it's not meant to take the place of the finished playing of the tune. You can repeat the tune, holding out different measures and playing different one fast. Pretty soon you'll find that you can play the whole tune continuously fast.

Also, I find that it helps to think about kind of ripping your fingers off in a scale or arpeggio formation, rather than playing the notes one by one. I mean, you've got to be able to play every note clearly, or it just turns into a mess... I find that it's true, practice slowly to play it fast. But you've also got to practice fast to play it fast, because it feels really different.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

I know for a fact that there are judicious people out there getting heart attacks just reading this thread. Anyway, don't forget the need to be able to rip off descending or ascending series of triplets at blinding speed.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Wanna hear perfect triplets played lightning fast, listen to Mary Bergen do 'em. I never thought anyone could improve upon the triplet.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Yes, but Laurence Nugent is right up there with her.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Again, another glowing endorsment of "Transcribe!" by Seventh String Software. I've been using it for years, its the way I learn nearly all my tunes, and I highly highly highly recommend it. If I could force everyone on this board to use this program, I would.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Emrys wrote:
Also, I find that it helps to think about kind of ripping your fingers off in a scale or arpeggio formation, rather than playing the notes one by one. I mean, you've got to be able to play every note clearly, or it just turns into a mess... I find that it's true, practice slowly to play it fast. But you've also got to practice fast to play it fast, because it feels really different.
I agree and a lot has to do with which whistle I play it on. I have a Freeman Tweaked E-flat Gen that is exceptionally responsive to playing along with Ms. Bergin.
I have a Freeman tweaked D Gen that I have tried to play along with Senor Nugent, but doesnt seem as responsive. Actually all of my whistles seemed muddy when playing along with Herr Nugent.... Until I got a wood Busman. Holy Smoke, this Sucker has snap. I have a Delrin Busman and it is sweet and pure, but the wooden model I recently purchased is like a dance partner who knows all my steps naturally.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
oskan_oskula

Post by oskan_oskula »

Hm. That brings up another interesting question...
This is probably just my WhOA speaking, but should I purchase another whistle to practice on that might yeild more pleasing results? I mean, I love my little Clarke, it's my first-- but I was thinking about getting something tuneable, since I'm going to be playing with a group.
Any suggestions, bearing in mind that I am a very broke University student?
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I'd get a Jerry Freeman Tweaked MellowDog D. For $36.50 you get a whistle as good as any you can buy. Then I'd get on the Sindt list and wait the 11 months for a John Sindt high D for $90.00. You won't need any other whistles. I keep my Tweaked in the Suburban and my Sindt at my desk.

Jon :D
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Strict traditionalist here. Oskan, do you care about the music you wish to play at sessions (which implies that you're interested in playing Irish traditional)? If you do, then speed be damned until you've learned the music. I mean really learned it by listening, listening, and more listening... practicing, reading what you can about the background of Irish music, practicing, listening, listening, practicing, listening... Speed will come with time, but if you care only for playing notes fast, it will show in your music.

Susan
(edited to add: I combined a couple of the posts above and didn't read your posts carefully enough--you aren't the one who mentioned sessions. Sorry about that. IF you are interested in Irish music, my post applies, I believe. If not, then just go for the speed, I guess.)