Benedict Kohler's ingenious reedmaking method

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbowmusic
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Benedict Kohler's ingenious reedmaking method

Post by elbowmusic »

I am loking for any and all information from others that have decided to throw their hats in with Benedict's new (old?) method of Reedmaking. I am tooling up right now, so specifically i need the measurements and specifications of these tools (and any other's I've forgotten):

1. Gouger
-Benedict uses a specially made little gouger that is made from rectangular tool steel.

2. Scraper
-An eggish shaped scraper made from (I believe) an old hand saw.

3. knife
-he uses a blade that is sharpened on the straight (not curved) part of the steel of a knife. I think a shoemaker's knife? He said it was sharpened a certain way that made it easy to cut through the meat of a piece of cane. That it wasn't a straight angle kind of edge?

4. reed holding set-up.
-I guess this is straight forward. Benedict finishes the inside of the reed from the tip of the reed, toward the tail ends, so needs a special holding set-up.

5. gauge
-possibly a converted micrometer? A gauge that measures the inside curve (as opposed to the usual manner of measuring the thickness of the slip. So, what has been removed, rather than what remains.

6. chisel
-he uses some kind of wood chisel to cut the tails, but this is probably the least critical tool.

I think that's it. I don't have my notes from his class in front of me. So, if I forgot anything . . . I hope to ask him directly where to find some of these items, but in the class it seemed like he sort of happened upon many of these (especially the knife) and had no idea where a like tool might be found. As for the gouge and scraper, i think I have the right tool steel for the gouge, but if anyone has the dimensions I like to compare, and the scaper . . . anyone had any luck?

Nate
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

What you want is the NPU DVD "Heart of the Instrument". As well, I believe someone posted their notes from a BK workshop. Do a search. I'm sure the link is here somewhere.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

On this thread:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... hop#167389
fancypiper posted this URL for what looks like the workshop djm is talking about. It was in 1996 though, quite a while ago. I haven't looked at it so I don't know if it has the information you are looking for.

http://naomisfancy.virtualave.net/reedmake.html
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

That's the one.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

Post by elbowmusic »

Well, that's very helpful, and thanks. I read through it all and David Daye's notes within it were very interesting. But at that time Benedict was still using the sanding cylinder-based method of achieving the inside curve, which he has abandoned for a scaper-based method.
elbowmusic

Post by elbowmusic »

scraper not Scaper, sorry
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

A gooseneck scraper will do what you want, although it's a bit larger than the purpose-made one that Benedict has. If you wanted to you could cut a gooseneck scraper down to the size you need much more easily than cutting up an old saw. They're pretty cheap too.

Here's a page with a good description of the technique used to sharpen and turn a hook on the edge of both flat and gooseneck scrapers:

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_materials_ ... 29,00.html

The tool Benedict uses for measuring the depth of the gouge in a cane slip is called a dial indicator. His has a 1" travel, and has a block of wood attached to the stem to allow it to be used as a depth gage. The indicator dial is set so that the needle reads zero when the plunger is flush with the face of the wood block, such as when it is placed against a flat surface.

You can buy a Chinese one on eBay for about US$20, and make your own block to fit the stem.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
glands

Post by glands »

I've always thought that if I could paint portraits with the same styled brushes that John Singer Sargent used that mine would be just as captivating (not really but you'll get the point in a minute). I realize, however, that the tools of the trade do not matter......my brushes are better than his were. My paints are better as are my canvases and also I have predictable indoor light with which to see to paint. I've got to develop my skills to improve and there is no way to do this but to paint...paint more ....and then paint some more.

Likewise, the only way to even approximate the sweet reeds that are similar to those of the great master reedmaker, Benedict Koehler, is to make tens of thousands of them. The tools will not matter after one has made that quantity of functional reeds. One will simply be familiar with or prefer what they have grown accustomed to. Besides, you may even acquire some better tools. Mr. Koehler uses what he has employed due to a mix of practicality.... in using or altering what was on hand.... trial and error, and whatever else endeared him to a tool...which is usually homemade in the first place.

Now...go cut some cane!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

glands wrote:I've always thought that if I could paint portraits with the same styled brushes that John Singer Sargent used that mine would be just as captivating (not really but you'll get the point in a minute). I realize, however, that the tools of the trade do not matter......my brushes are better than his were. My paints are better as are my canvases and also I have predictable indoor light with which to see to paint. I've got to develop my skills to improve and there is no way to do this but to paint...paint more ....and then paint some more.

Likewise, the only way to even approximate the sweet reeds that are similar to those of the great master reedmaker, Benedict Koehler, is to make tens of thousands of them. The tools will not matter after one has made that quantity of functional reeds. One will simply be familiar with or prefer what they have grown accustomed to. Besides, you may even acquire some better tools. Mr. Koehler uses what he has employed due to a mix of practicality.... in using or altering what was on hand.... trial and error, and whatever else endeared him to a tool...which is usually homemade in the first place.

Now...go cut some cane!
Well put! :thumbsup:
elbowmusic

Post by elbowmusic »

I almost completely agree as well. I cannot make reeds like Benedict until thousands of reeds from now. However, Benedict's method of making reeds is enough of a different angle of looking at reeds (I would argue, from anyone else professionally making reeds now) that I prefer to attempt to recreate his manner of making them now, rather than starting from the contemporary way of making reeds and adjusting later. I can make reeds the gouging, sanding cylinder, plumber's tape way, but not very well. I'm not really invested in that way of doing it, so to change now won't be a big deal for me.

it really isn't a whose paintbrush is better idea. His way of doing reeds is too radically different from the contempary idea of making reeds to make a metaphor like that.

But thanks to who gave the post for the dial indicator. I'm on ebay now making my purchase. And the article about the goose neck scraper is very informative. i think going that route may save me a lot of sawing through steel.

Nate
glands

Post by glands »

Of course, I was speaking rhetorically. I, too, want exact copies of Benedict Koehlers tools. They're great!! I'd suppose theat he could make a fair amount of easy money by putting together reedmaking kits of sorts.

And, Blevins will come clean here.....a few days back I asked my wife to get me a set of paint brushes for Christmas. Ummmmmm.......a set of fancy brushes that is identical to those used by my artist friend and probable mentor who will teach me portraiture.....who learned to paint portraits from this guy.... who learned to paint portraits from this guy.... who learned to paint portraits from John Singer Sargent himself!! Dang...that's a "papal succession" of sorts!!

The issue here is......my brushes are too soft in bristle and don't hold the amount of paint I need them to. So, I know what is wrong with my "tools," why I need different ones, and why the new ones will work. Will they make me a better painter? Doubtful. I'll probably just waste that much more paint! Ahhhhh......
glands

Post by glands »

I'm not really invested in that way of doing it, so to change now won't be a big deal for me.
Excellent! It sounds like you know what you want to do and why. The timing is good for you as your brain has not been polluted by other methods. Make sure that the method and approach works for your particular chanter. What sort of set do you play?
elbowmusic

Post by elbowmusic »

A Mr. Gallagher Bore.
glands

Post by glands »

Well now....I'd say Mr. Gallagher is anything but a bore!!!

I'd suspect that you would have to talk to Koehler and Gallagher as to whether your plan would result in success. While at it, get yourself on the list (if there is one) for a bonafide Koehler chanter!
elbowmusic

Post by elbowmusic »

Does anyone know if Koehler has a waiting list?