With only a few weeks to go . . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

With only a few weeks to go . . .

Post by Lambchop »

. . . until tourist season begins . . . and now you know why we call it tourist "season." Yum!

Teen Surfer Bitten by Shark Off Fla. Coast
From Associated Press
November 13, 2005 6:22 AM EST

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. - A surfer dangling his feet into the Atlantic Ocean on Florida's east coast was bitten by a shark, authorities said.

The 18-year-old man was surfing in water up to 8 feet deep near the New Smyrna Beach jetty Saturday when the shark swam up and bit him, said Scott Petersohn, spokesman for the Volusia County Beach Patrol.

"This was a case of mistaken identity," Petersohn told the Daytona Beach News-Journal. "The guy's foot dangling in the water looks a lot like a fish."

The man, who was not identified, suffered puncture wounds on his right foot, Petersohn said. He was taken to a hospital by ambulance in stable condition, officials said.

The size of the shark was not known.

The incident was the second confirmed shark bite off a beach in this county in less than a month, authorities said. A 15-year-old boy suffered minor injuries when he stepped on a shark Oct. 15 at the Ponce Inlet jetty.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

These types of reports really vex me. Nowhere does it say whether counselling was offered to the shark to overcome the trauma, or if any steps were taken to help rid it of the taste of this guy's foot. Clearly a case of more animal abuse in sunny Florida. :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

djm wrote:.. or if any steps were taken...

djm
:wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:
djm wrote:.. or if any steps were taken...

djm
:wink:

Slan,
D.
where'is the outrage! :o :lol:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Kill all sharks!!!!! By golly we'll teach them not to act like....well...um...SHARKS!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The water up north is cold, but at least there aren't sharks and alligators in it. :o :boggle: :o :boggle: In Cuba, there is an alligator that actually leaps up out of the water to catch animals in trees. I saw that on Nature. Okay, I know sharks are the topic. Honestly, I don't know how people in Florida even dare to leave the house. If you can step on a shark!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You may think that the cold water up north means no sharks but having lived in Newport, RI for a few years I can tell you there is a sizable population of Great Whites right off Block Island. It was not unusual to catch sharks while fishing off the beach. My 12 year old caught a lot of sharks there. It is true there are no alligators but be careful taking a large bluefish off the hook. :D

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hmm. Okay, how about large inland lakes up north? I know Northern Pike get big, but do they attack?

I do remember surfers getting attacked by sharks in the Monterey Bay and even farther north than that actually. But I sure never had to steer clear of stepping on one!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:These types of reports really vex me. Nowhere does it say whether counselling was offered to the shark to overcome the trauma, or if any steps were taken to help rid it of the taste of this guy's foot. Clearly a case of more animal abuse in sunny Florida. :x

djm
Really. He didn't even get a snack out of it. And did anybody think to check and see if maybe he lost a tooth or something?

I kind of felt bad for the one that got stepped on.

Cynth wrote:Honestly, I don't know how people in Florida even dare to leave the house. If you can step on a shark!
Well, that's why we wear shoes outside. Really, Florida is not the kind of place where you can frolic barefoot in the grass.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Cynth wrote:Hmm. Okay, how about large inland lakes up north? I know Northern Pike get big, but do they attack?
Well, I don't think they actually attack, but my family used to vacation up in the UP of Michigan and my brothers would tell me stories of the man-eating 12 foot pike that lived in the lake we would go swim at - I fell for that hook, line, and sinker ( :wink: ) and was terrified to go more than a few feet out into the lake.

I wasn't gullible enough to believe them when they tried to convince me that Jaws had moved into Lake Superior.....
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cynth wrote:Hmm. Okay, how about large inland lakes up north? I know Northern Pike get big, but do they attack?
Muskelunge will. It's not uncommon.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I don't know if he was attacked per se, but my brother in law got a good bite from one while he was fishing in the St. Lawrence Seaway. It took quite a few stitches to fix things up.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Catfish bites are not all that uncommon and they are particularly nasty.

I have not myself enjoyed that experience, but I have had the privilege of being attacked by a large flounder whilst driving in 80 mph close-order traffic on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, said large flounder having been ensconced in a paint bucket on the passenger side of my car and apparently not any too happy about it.

It had seemed to be watching me, but I did not realize that it was planning an attack on my hand the next time I reached for the gear shift. Flounder, it turns out, can fly and they have a full complement of teeth.
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Did you step on it?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:Did you step on it?
No, I didn't step on it! Seems a popular technique, though!