In search of Pastoral makers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

In search of Pastoral makers

Post by WireHarp »

Hello Pweebys,

Would any kind soul know of any makers of pastoral pipes aside from Messrs. Swayne, MacHarg or Bayley? I am missing anyone? ( I have sensibly abandoned my thoughts about making my own pipes, as I merely want to play.. not start a new hobby of building - thanks to all who adressed my last post!) Thanks in advance

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Found this from Bob Dunsire forum.
SF Irish Piper
Forum Regular (>100 posts)
Member # 1185

- posted November 07, 2005 12:29 PM Profile for SF Irish Piper Author's Homepage Email SF Irish Piper Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote #1 Scottish Pastoral Pipes, by Christopher Bayley. The Pastoral or New Bagpipe appeared during the early part of the eighteenth century and research has indicated them to be the forerunner of the Union Pipes.

#2 This set is a 4 drone, 1 Regulator (6 keys), in D.

#3 Condition, Perfect.

#4 Chanter reed could use some adjustment to bring up the pitch on the top hand.

#5 Blackwood, Brass, Imitation Ivory.

#6 reason for sale,, I recently aquired a 1/2 set of Dave Williams pipes, I would like to buy 3 regulators.

#7 $2500 USD obo

http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/British%2 ... storal.htm

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mikko
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

I met Brian McCandless at North Hero, Vermont, in 1990. He and a Scotsman named Sam Grier (now in Greenville S.C.) were the two pipers there who were playing Pastoral Pipes. I know that Sam's set was by John Addison (RIP). I don't remember what make of set Brian was playing. Over the years I attended Alan Jones' event (90, 93, 94, 97), the Pastoral pipes just got better and better. The last year I went (97), Jon Swayne and Brian were playing duets and Brian had made a copy of an antique set from a family living right down the street from him, in Elkton, Maryland. This set had come down in the family from the 1700s colonial period. Also of interest, Sam Grier's uncle, and grand father played the Pastoral Pipes in Scotland, in the late 19th and early 20th century. It was quite extraordinary to see the copies of antique sets and hear them being played! It was playing Sam's set in 1990, that made me want to get into the act and in 1993, I got a copy of a Hugh Robertson chanter by Fred Ord (RIP), through Colin Ross. All this was "on the long finger"as the British are wont to say...... In 1998 I got the plans for H. Robertson drones and regulator from Jon Swayne.Then I got a wood turner friend (not a pipe maker) to turn the stock and drones and lastly, I had Brad Angus make the reg and the U bend for the bass drone. This cobbled together set got it's 1st performance at the 2003 Tionol at San Francisco. I've had a lot of pleasure since, with what I call my "time machine"( and 10 years in the making,at that!). Brian McCandless is a energy scientist and all-around piper. He also was the president of the North American Association of Lowland and Border Pipers, there was a quarterly journal publication for this society and Brian authored a number of good articles about Pastoral Pipes.
Brian's number (302)831-6240 (day) and (410)398-6594. Sam Grier is at (864)370-1895. Good luck with your quest! Sean Folsom
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Brad (Angus) probably wouldn't balk at building a set of pasterurized pipes. 1 or 2%? It's a suitably antique sort of project, the kind of thing he likes, there's the plans in one of the Sean Reid society CDs for a Robertson (I think) set, also Brad has built a full set of Union pipes for Sam Grier.
Also known as the "New" bagpipe after a 259 year old tutor...actually that's where this "Pastoral" foo-fer-aw comes from as well, Geoghean's tutor.
Happy herding!
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

I suppose it's too much to hope for....would the N. American Association of L and B pipers still be operative, by chance?
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

http://www.vermontel.net/~weepiper/

look under bagpipe portfolio.. :)
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

Yes! The plans for the 2 Hugh Robertson sets that came through Sotheby's in 1998 (now belonging to Hughes AND McLeod), were done by Wibert Garvin and are in Vol.2 of the Sean Reid Society CD ROM. Jon Swayne did another set of plans for them as well (the ones he sent me). Jon reckons that there are some 70 sets of Pastoral pipes extant, and he has measured 15 (or more) of them. Alan Jones has at least 15 of them for his traveling museum exhibit. My bagpipe guru, Dennis Brooks had an oridginal copy of Geoghan's Tutor. I stored it for him when he went to Ireland for the 1st time in 1975, and this copy was the one published in the Seattle UP club newsletter.... and now it's on line.... don't have the address at the moment, but Kevin will know....Sean Folsom
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Oh, it's all up to me eh!?!? Geoghean's tutor here. Denis had an original copy holy poopy smoke! Where in the ba jayz us did he find that!?!?!?!

:boggle:

Thanks for the jog to the plot, as they'd say in Clockwork Orange, must put out the word about the fund raising drive to get Denis to the tionol in Feb.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Post by Steve Bliven »

josh perkins wrote:I suppose it's too much to hope for....would the N. American Association of L and B pipers still be operative, by chance?
Sadly it is the late, lamented NAALB. It came apart about 1996 if I remember correctly. As mentioned above, Brian McCandless, one of the principal driving forces for the group and its publication, is still around.

Best wishes.

Steve
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: In search of Pastoral makers

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

WireHarp wrote:Hello Pweebys,

Would any kind soul know of any makers of pastoral pipes aside from Messrs. Swayne, MacHarg or Bayley? I am missing anyone? ( I have sensibly abandoned my thoughts about making my own pipes, as I merely want to play.. not start a new hobby of building - thanks to all who adressed my last post!) Thanks in advance

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
Scottish pipemaker Hamish Moore, a leading instigator and innovator in the revival of the making of Scottish smallpipes and Border pipes, made a few sets of Pastoral pipes in the mid-late 80s'. I think they were based on a set made in Scotland in 1806 that he restored. You can hear him playing Pastoral pipes (and throwin' in birls and everything) on his first two albums "Cauld Wind Pipes" and "Open Ended." Sadly, both have never been re-issued and are available only on vinyl. You can still buy them from Hamish, I think. But don't count on him making any more sets of Pastorals any time soon. Apparently, he could never come up with a suitably reliable reed design and shelved any future Pastoral pipemaking indefinitely.
Reepicheep
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There's a pastoral set by Chris Bayley available at the moment. You can read the details at http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html#4

All the best,

Patrick.
WireHarp

re: In search of Pastoral Makers

Post by WireHarp »

Actually, that set is on it's way to me. Thanks to all who shared the info. I will keep y'all posted on how things go, and when ready I will post a photo of the set with the 18th century style case I hope to make for these.

Slán

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
Ross

Post by Ross »

I've discovered a manuscript of music for the pastoral pipe. It is in the National Library of Scotland, and had been miscatalogued as union pipe music. It's really exciting, as the one pastoral music book we had previously (Geoghegan's Compleat Tutor) is rather limited. I've got permission from the NLS trustees to scan the manuscript and put it online, which I have now done. There is also an article I've written on the manuscript and what it teaches us: this is due to appear in the December issue of 'Common Stock'. It's all available at

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/music

Hugh Cheape has also found a pastoral pipe manuscript, which is now in his collection at the National Museum of Scotland. He gave a talk about it yesterday at the William Kennedy festival in Armagh.

These books give us an insight into what people played when music, instruments and people were flowing freely between Scotland, Ireland and NE England. They also give us a better idea of how the uillean pipes evolved the way they did. There are also some really good tunes that I hope will come back into fashion!

Ross
billh

Post by billh »

Ross, this is really great stuff. Thanks a million for posting it - and for encouraging curators to make access to resources like this broader and easier. After all, that's what museums are supposed to do, isn't it :-)

BTW, I find "The Highlanders' Farewell to Ireland" especially interesting, as it's recognizably the same tune as another "Farewell to Ireland" reel that's well-known nowadays - albeit with some phrases moved about. Is there any good dating information for this manuscript?

regards

Bill