Moondance.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Moondance.

Post by dubhlinn »

I've just listened to this album start to finish.It has been a few months since I last listened to it and I just wanted to say that this must be one of the all time great albums.

If you don't have a copy of this album...get one soon.

Absolute brilliance....

Just thought I'd get that off my chest :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

When I was younger, I saw a video of Grease. It had a moon dance.
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Moondance.

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

dubhlinn wrote:I've just listened to this album start to finish.It has been a few months since I last listened to it and I just wanted to say that this must be one of the all time great albums.

Absolute brilliance....

Slan,
D.
I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:
mukade

Post by mukade »

I used to play in a band with an Aussie who looked and sounded exactly like Van the Man.

We did a trad-flavoured version of Moondance and Brown Eyed Girl. It went very well on the flute.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I love that album too. Way back then, it was my introduction to solo Van de Grump. 'It stoned Me' was and remains my favourite track. Astral Weeks is more consistent though, I think. Of course, every home should have both. I loved Them and still do. Is here a better R&B track from that era than 'I Can Only Give You Everything'?
Denny

Re: Moondance.

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:I've just listened to this album start to finish.It has been a few months since I last listened to it and I just wanted to say that this must be one of the all time great albums.

Absolute brilliance....

Slan,
D.
Ack! Heresy! :lol:

Next you'll be telling us ya like Jethro Tull...
:wink:

I couldn't agree more...
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Wombat wrote:I love that album too. Way back then, it was my introduction to solo Van de Grump. 'It stoned Me' was and remains my favourite track. Astral Weeks is more consistent though, I think. Of course, every home should have both. I loved Them and still do. Is here a better R&B track from that era than 'I Can Only Give You Everything'?
I would agree about the consistency of Astral Weeks.
Popular wisdom has it that it was recorded in 48 hours.A recent - and rare - interview with Van the Man revealed that although the album was recorded in one weekend,himself, the bass player and flautist had spent months rehearsing the songs so when he got it to a studio the three of them knew exactly where they were but some of the other session players on the album were not so well prepared and you can hear some confusion in places.
In Madam George,Morrison has written one of the greatest songs of all time.Multiple layers of meaning over an incredible fusion of styles in the backing.Three or four verses in there is a line that goes "when you fall into a trance..." just as the line ends the fiddle player hits a rising arpeggio that just lifts the whole song onto yet another level.
In any copy of this album that I have ever seen,the fiddler is the only musician not credited on the sleeve notes.

Bugged me for years that...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

"moondance" is one of my favorite tunes to play on the whistle.

Dale
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

My band throws Moondance (done 'jiggy') in between Morrison's and Lanigan's Ball. Clip forthcoming.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

might someone please throw in a mp3 or a wav-file of this moondance thing?
thanks.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

amar wrote:might someone please throw in a mp3 or a wav-file of this moondance thing?
thanks.
And some dots!
(Thanks!)

You know, I just noticed . . . the only time I've ever seen Amar write using actual capital letters and punctuation was when he was speaking to that fine fellow from Zurich.

Go figure.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I played Flute on Moondance in a band before I was playing it in Am but the the singer wanted Gm so I had to get a C Flute.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Lambchop wrote:
amar wrote:might someone please throw in a mp3 or a wav-file of this moondance thing?
thanks.
And some dots!
(Thanks!)

You know, I just noticed . . . the only time I've ever seen Amar write using actual capital letters and punctuation was when he was speaking to that fine fellow from Zurich.

Go figure.
WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

amar wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
thanks.
And some dots!
(Thanks!)

Go figure.
WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?
Why, err, I wasn't . . . <snicker> . . . implying . . anything! Noooo! <snort!> Certainly not!

But now that you've mentioned it . . . what should I have been suspicious of?
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wombat wrote:I love that album too. Way back then, it was my introduction to solo Van de Grump. 'It stoned Me' was and remains my favourite track. Astral Weeks is more consistent though, I think. Of course, every home should have both. I loved Them and still do. Is here a better R&B track from that era than 'I Can Only Give You Everything'?

"It Stoned Me" is still my favorite off that album. Ah, how it brings back memories.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm