OT: Anyone on the board live in Nova Scotia/PEI ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

OT: Anyone on the board live in Nova Scotia/PEI ?

Post by Bretton »

I haven't found out for sure if I'm going yet (it's looking likely), but I may be going to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the entire month of May (2006). I assume there are lot's of traditional music happenings there. Does anyone know of specific things I shouldn't miss?

Thanks.

-Brett
Last edited by Bretton on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I guess folks up there are still waiting for hydro to be installed.
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Hi Bretton,

I am still on holiday here in Canada, but a quick browse saw this. I have just been to cape breton and PEI and all I can say is wow! - when I get back, I shall give you a bit of detail so that you can plan something special. You are in for a treat.

Ian
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
King of Canavoy

Post by King of Canavoy »

Hi Bretton,
I just noticed your post, and snagged some info for you. The BIS (Benevolent Irish Society) on North River Road is probably your best bet to make some connections, and hear some quality music. It's too bad, if you were here in the summer, you can find trad music every weekend, and a few nights through the week, but you're hitting our shoulder tourist season. We pretty much roll up the mats here from October to May.

http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/explore/music.php3

I'll post some more if I happen to come accross it.

Not too sure about Nova Scotia activities, lots going there though I imagine, with those srong Highland influences coming out of Cape Breton.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Never been there, but My brother went a couple of years ago. I saw picture and video camera, and its really beautiful!
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
King of Canavoy

It's a pity you weren't going to be here for the first of June.

http://www.halifaxcelticfeis.com/birth.html

I've never been to the festival, but I've seen many of these performers, and they are top shelf. If you can swing it, (and you can stomach the term celtic), this is the festival to catch.
:thumbsup:

http://www.scotiafestival.ns.ca/main.php?page=2005
Check in on this later in the winter, they'll likely have an updated calendar then.

Maybe one of the members from Cape Breton could suggest some venues from the heartland of Scottish music in North America? I haven't been there in a while, so I'm a bit out of touch.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Thanks!

-Brett
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Driving in Cape Breton in the winter!? :boggle:

You know I've always been surprised that I never stumble on more music when I'm down East. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but thanks to the tourist promos over the past decade, I'm always expecting to stumble on some great music. The best I ever get is the same bloody piper by Privateer's every single year.

Anyways, music or no music, you'll have a good time Brett.
King of Canavoy

Check the Charlottetown Guardian newspaper, when you get here, (PEI) there's a whole section devoted to musical events, also pic up a copy of 'The Buzz', also out of Charlottetown, a free monthly publication covering the arts; music etc. If it's not in those, it's probably not happening! :D