tuning slide stuck on my burke brass whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TyroneShoelaces

tuning slide stuck on my burke brass whistle

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

the tuning slide on my burke narrow bore brass d is completely stuck. it has been tight before, but i've always been able to move it, and then rub some cork grease on the joint. now...it is totally immovavable. any ideas on how to unstick the thing?

~~Shoelaces
ever been mugged by a quaker?
talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by talimirr743 »

Go to your local music store, and buy some "valve oil". It might work. Have you stored it in a warm place? Have you heve stored it in a warm place?
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

If it's really stuck, I think I would email Mr. Burke for suggestions. I'm sure he has dealt with the problem before.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

If you have the slide out at all, put a small amount of petroleum jelly (vaseline) on the exposed slide; then, best with rubber gloves, pull and simultaneously twist in opposite directions, one hand on the tube and one on the head joint. You can also work the twist in and out alternately - it should loosen and begin to move. If you get it apart, I would then clean the slide by wiping it down with 0000 ultra fine steel wool.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

If it's all metal, why don't you try giving it a dip in ice water, then trying to separate the pieces gently? The metal will shrink. If they don't unstick, don't force it.

If you get them apart and discover that whatever you've been using as a lubricant has dried, try Bol-Wax. It never hardens or dries out. Vegetable oils dry into a very nice sticky solid.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Lambchop wrote:If it's all metal, why don't you try giving it a dip in ice water, then trying to separate the pieces gently? The metal will shrink. If they don't unstick, don't force it.

You need to contract the inside part, and expand the outer, I'd think. Maybe put the whole thing in the freezer until it's cold. Then take it out and quickly run the OUTER part only under very hot tap water. That might give you enough expansion and contraction to get the thing apart. Rubber gloves might give you a better grip. Not sure how the Burke's O-ring affects things. When in doubt, ask the maker!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I know the instructions that come with the whistle say to move the tuning slide frequently, and keep it lubed with jelly. I hope you can get it unstuck. If you do, you might want to check the o-rings to make sure they are in okay condition.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.