guitar population control?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

guitar population control?

Post by tin tin »

One of the session I attend sometimes has up to three guitarists attending (usually two). Aside from them taking turns playing, are there any ideas for how best to deal with this situation? And a related question, what's a logical second ITM-friendly instrument for a guitarist?
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: guitar population control?

Post by Congratulations »

Tintin wrote:what's a logical second ITM-friendly instrument for a guitarist?
Whistle! They'll learn a lot more than if they took up another accompaniment instrument, I'd say.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Is the problem that they're all playing back-up and can't handle melody?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

mando
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
missy

Post by missy »

mountain dulcimer :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Banjo. A tenor for Irish music or a 5-string for American.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Perhaps suggest a rule. No more than one guitarist at a time plays backup. Anybody can join in on melody.

They might actually take the hint and go away and learn their instrument.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Wormdiet wrote:mando
Yep.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll go with Mandolin too. Maybe octave mandolin (I'm thinking of building a kit version of one of those)
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wombat wrote:Perhaps suggest a rule. No more than one guitarist at a time plays backup. Anybody can join in on melody.

They might actually take the hint and go away and learn their instrument.
There ya go.

I don't think it's much harder to play tunes on guitar than on mandolin or tenor banjo, except that it can be a bit of a challenge to play the very fastest tunes up to speed. Light-gauge strings can help with that, since volume is not that much of a concern in ITM, where you probably want to blend more than to stand out.

It's also cheaper to learn an instrument that you already own.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

They're all good guitar players and know how to accompany Irish music...the only problem is quantity.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Tintin wrote:They're all good guitar players and know how to accompany Irish music...the only problem is quantity.
There is a view that I incline towards that you shouldn't even try to accompany a tune you can't play the melody to or at least lilt. But any competent guitarist who can lilt a melody can learn to play it.

My earlier post was a bit facetious but I meant the bit about playing melody. You'd be surprised how many people playing 'celtic guitar' don't seem to see the need to know the tunes. You can't get away with it in any other style of music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Tintin wrote:They're all good guitar players and know how to accompany Irish music...the only problem is quantity.
There is a view that I incline towards that you shouldn't even try to accompany a tune you can't play the melody to or at least lilt. But any competent guitarist who can lilt a melody can learn to play it.

My earlier post was a bit facetious but I meant the bit about playing melody. You'd be surprised how many people playing 'celtic guitar' don't seem to see the need to know the tunes. You can't get away with it in any other style of music.
Yep. I even had one fellow have the gall to whine about players changing keys during sets. Your usual gizmoist'll get a deer-in-the-headlights look when confronted with tunes like The Princess Royal, The Blackbird, or even An Rogaire Dubh, which is a basic jig, fercryinoutloud. Experiences like that usually don't seem to prompt them to do anything about getting to know tunes in a serious way, though, which baffles me. Just because you can play chords doesn't qualify you to do so.

End rant. For now.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Wombat wrote: You'd be surprised how many people playing 'celtic guitar' don't seem to see the need to know the tunes. You can't get away with it in any other style of music.
Well, I would not be surprised!!!!! But even if the chords are right, there is something to be said for playing them in the background and not whanging away loudly while grooving on one's own in the Celtic magic or whatever. I cannot hear other instruments well on CD's and in performances. The chords jangle my nerves, they distract me, they don't seem to have much to do with the other music. I guess the melody players want it that way, presumably they are giving instructions to the backup players, but why do they want the chords so loud????? Give me a recorder or a bodhran any day.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Bass, as long as you don't try to get too fancy (or too loud) with it.
Nanohedron wrote: Yep. I even had one fellow have the gall to whine about players changing keys during sets.
Aw, geez, it's not like they're gonna change from a sharp key to a flat key or something. I thought every guitarist in the world knew how to play one-up (G) or two-up (D), which is practically all session tunes, and if they change keys, it's usually from one to the other. Maybe sooner or later he'll figure out for himself that the session leader is barking to signal a key change, not because he has Tourette's. :P
Nanohedron wrote: An Rogaire Dubh
At first I thought you had written An Rogaine Dubh, which is Irish for what? Black Hair Restorer? :P :P
Nanohedron wrote: Just because you can play chords doesn't qualify you to do so.
True.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo