Astrological signs.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Astrological signs.

Post by dubhlinn »

Been thinking about Astrology today and wondered if anybody had any views on the idea that people of any given sign will share many of the traits traditionally associated with that sign.

I have often been told that I am a text book example of a Scorpio, though I do not really see it myself.

Age and experience have rooted out the more negative and destructive aspects of the sign and I suppose that having the Moon in Libra has helped a lot as well.

C'mon now..'fess up...

What sign are you?

Slan,
D.

Amar is a Scorpio..his birthday is the day before mine..ha ha ha
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

This is a religious thread. And I don't think it should be moved.

At any rate, I no longer share my astrological sign, because I believe it's theologically dangerous to get caught up in that.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I haven't looked into western astrology much.

I have, however, followed Vedic (Hindu) astrology for about 20 years. The two systems are related, but there's a difference of about 23 degrees of longitude in where they position the signs.

Western astrology doesn't use the actual locations of the signs in the sky; it divides the ecliptic into 12 equal parts based on the point where the sun appears at the spring exquinox, which changes respective to the actual positions of the stars by about one degree every 72 years. (This phenomenom is called the precession of equinoxes.) The western zodiac is referred to as the "tropical zodiac," whereas the zodiac used in Vedic astrology is referred to as the "sidereal zodiac."

So if you've been told your sun sign is Scorpio, there's about a 2:1 probability that it was actually transiting the constellation Libra at the moment of your birth.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I'm a Scorpio. I just looked up something about Scorpios but it was too long to read the whole thing. It said something about the danger of my becoming a debauched sex pervert if my intensity was channeled the wrong way. Mercy! Is there a brief description of a textbook example somewhere?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Well now Cran...

I don't see Astrology has a religious or scientific belief but earlier today, and many times in the past, I have been reading the character profiles of various signs and relating them to people that I know very well.

Many of them are pretty accurate...and that is what I find interesting.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cynth wrote:Well, I'm a Scorpio. I just looked up something about Scorpios but it was too long to read the whole thing. It said something about the danger of my becoming a debauched sex pervert if my intensity was channeled the wrong way. Mercy! Is there a brief description of a textbook example somewhere?
We do get a very bad press sometimes :oops:

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
Jack

Post by Jack »

dubhlinn wrote:Well now Cran...

I don't see Astrology has a religious or scientific belief but earlier today, and many times in the past, I have been reading the character profiles of various signs and relating them to people that I know very well.

Many of them are pretty accurate...and that is what I find interesting.

Slan,
D.
I find it deceitful. Deuteronomy 4 says something like "Be careful that you don't worship the sun, moon, and stars" and I think it's very easy to start out with "oh, it's just for fun" then move on to "hmm, it seems to work" which eventually becomes "oh, the moon and sun and spirits therein control everything." I've seen it happen with people many times. I was almost one of those people.

If astrologers don't call their outlook a religion, then surely it is a very religious (or at the very least, philosophical) kind of thing. There are people who won't go to work or eat if their forecast says not to. I'm sure you've met some of these people.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cynth wrote:Well, I'm a Scorpio. I just looked up something about Scorpios but it was too long to read the whole thing. It said something about the danger of my becoming a debauched sex pervert if my intensity was channeled the wrong way. Mercy! Is there a brief description of a textbook example somewhere?
I think being a debauched sex pervert is what an Aquarius is supposed to be. At least I don't think I channeled wrong.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

To be honest Cran, No..I have never met anybody who was that much into it.

I'm not talking about forecasts and living your life by what it sez in the stars, oh no.
I was just wondering if other people recognised themselves in their Astrological profile. It does not really matter which source you read they all tend to be very much the same.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Well I had to turn to google to find out what my traits are supposed
to be. I brought up several of the sites that came up, expecting
them to vary widely, but I guess they used the same source, 'cause
they were generally in agreement.
I am a pisces. Here's what the first site I brought up said:

GOOD
Imaginative and sensitive
Compassionate and kind
Selfless and unworldly
Intuitive and sympathetic
BAD
Escapist and idealistic
Secretive and vague
Weak-willed and easily led

I could agree with most of that. But it's pretty vague. Let's see what
a more fleshed-out version says:
http://www.psychicsconnect.com/astrology/traits_pisces.asp wrote: 'I BELIEVE' is the motto for Pisces. You are drawn to religion,
mysticism and anything of a spiritual or esoteric nature.
You have a very creative imagination and an artistic temperament.

You are a compassionate, sympathetic and loving soul. You are so
sensitive that unconsciously you may absorb the moods and
thoughts of the people around you. It's easy for you to become
emotionally drained by the needs of friends, family and lovers, so
it's important for you to take time out for yourself.

You're also sensitive to drugs of any kind, including alcohol, to
which some Pisceans turn in order to escape the harsh realities of
life. You are not the most stable of people either and can be very
impressionable. You can also be indecisive, but that's partly
because you don't like to be pinned down.

You are the dreamers of the zodiac.
I supose at some point, I would have agreed with the spirituality and
the empathy stuff, but not so much anymore. Now, Most of the above
is male bovine excrement. Though, I might agree with the drug thing,
I looooove Lidocain, or whatever local anesthetic my dentist uses
these days. They could pull every tooth in my mouth after giving me
that stuff, and I'd be all, "Hmmm, that tickles".
Denny

Re: Astrological signs.

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote: I have often been told that I am a text book example of a Scorpio, though I do not really see it myself.
Well, you wouldn't would you!

Sun & moon in Leo, Libra rising.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Sagittarius, heavily influenced by a variety of earth signs.
I have, on 2 occasions, had remarkably interesting and accurate total charts done.

I don't by any means get obsessed with it, but it's interesting, kind of from a counseling perspective, to bounce things about yourself off a person--even an astrologer.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cranberry wrote:I think it's very easy to start out with "oh, it's just for fun" then move on to "hmm, it seems to work" which eventually becomes "oh, the moon and sun and spirits therein control everything."
Only if you're one of them weak-willed Pisces.
Oh, wait. Crap.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I have heard of people in our society who do believe that the location of planets and stars or whatever when they were born has something to do with their personalities. I have never met anyone who believed this. I don't get out much I suppose. I do not believe this at all and consider it to be a parlor game.

I assure you I shall not be beguiled into worshipping the stars by the accuracy of the precictions I have seen so far! For me coincidence is a much simpler, and therefore more likely, explanation for any perceived accuracy than cause. No offense to any astrology believers out there.

I know astrology does play a part in some religions, but I thought that was a much more complicated sort of study. So that is not the subject here at all.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Denny

Post by Denny »

Hrrmmp...

Since Cranberry does not want to play...

I'm guessing that he is:
Sun in Libra
Moon in Taurus
Cancer rising

moon & rising might be backwards... :twisted: