Starting out

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ennistraveler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Starting out

Post by ennistraveler »

I've tried whistling for some years but since I focused on mandolin and fiddle I never really learned it. Now I'm really motivated again, but don't really know where to start. I've browsed through brother Steve's stuff and will learn technique that way (wonderful site), but what tunes can I start with that are reasonably simple for a beginner?
I can now play Spancil Hill and Be thou my vision, and I can almost play Off to California (but PLEASE help me find out where to breathe!), John Ryan's polka, Chanter's tune and Britches full of stitches. What other tunes are good to start with? They need to be easy to find without half holes and not to high up on the second octave. Are there any other advice you would have for a beginner?
Brother Steve rocks!
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I gave up trying to learn with bits and pieces from the internet, i know it works for some but i personally needed something a lot more structured.

I got a copy of Clare McKenna's "Complete Guide to Learning The Irish Tin Whistle" from Hobgoblin... http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/cartm20.htm It's the Walton's whistle tutor. I've found this book to be wonderful, building up from very basic tunes slowly adding ornaments and speed. Comes with 2 CD's and a big pile of tunes at the back of the book for once you've learned to play.
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

Sounds interesting and not too expensive either. I one bought a Clarke tutor book but lent it to a friend and I haven't seen it since then, he says he has a pile of stuff that he has to bring here some day...don't remember how that book was like though, I know that when I tried to learn from it I didn't understand anything.
Brother Steve rocks!
Skyclad01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

The first tune I learned on the whistle was The Munster Cloak
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

These are some on-line tutorials that seem pretty nice. They could be just a source of tunes to play as well.

http://nigelgatherer.com/index.html
http://www.whistleworkshop.co.uk/home.htm
http://www.whistletutor.com/

I agree with Screeeech!!!! that it is good to find one group of materials, whether in book or on Internet, and then stick with that. You can end up hunting for tunes and tutorials instead of practicing.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

In my experience I learn tunes well when they grab me and choose to be learned, not the other way around. Learn the tunes that you can;t get out of your head because they are so cool. To find these tunes, listen, listen, listen! If you know the melody then the fingers will follow.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Wormdiet wrote:In my experience I learn tunes well when they grab me and choose to be learned, not the other way around. Learn the tunes that you can;t get out of your head because they are so cool. To find these tunes, listen, listen, listen! If you know the melody then the fingers will follow.
Well-said Wormy. :)

Life's too short to learn tunes we aren't passionate about. To learn by ear listen until you can hum along perfectly. Then pick up your whistle.

Cheers,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Wormdiet wrote:If you know the melody then the fingers will follow.
Well maybe you have magical fingers or something, but us mere mortals have to learn to play the instrument first. :oops:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Well, maybe he means your fingers will want to follow so you'll be more likely to practice it. I have observed that. But they followed very clumsily for a long time!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Screeeech!!! wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:If you know the melody then the fingers will follow.
Well maybe you have magical fingers or something, but us mere mortals have to learn to play the instrument first. :oops:
He's right. You absolutely need to know the tune so well that you can sing, hum, or whistle it from memory BEFORE you attempt to learn to play it. At that point, it's an easy matter--more or less-- to let your fingers figure out what to do.

I'm definitely not good at this, but I can attest to the accuracy of the above. If you're trying to learn the tune while learning to play it, everything is far, far more complicated. You're having to learn so much at once that you bog down. The tune never becomes "yours."

If you learn the tune first, I swear all you have to do is run it through your head and play along with it. Clumsily, yes, but it gets better.

Getting a feel for where the sounds will be on the instrument happens more quickly than you would think.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I believe Wormy's method is similar to Prof. Howard Hill's Think System.

In all seriousness, I too believe that it's essential to hear the tune in your head in order to play it with some heart. Far better for this to happen earlier in the learning process.

For example, I've been hacking away at Glass Of Beer for a while, and had some kind of block: some parts just would not come out sounding like music. Then a great big lightbulb turned on and I realised that I've known this tune for years, as a part of the Spirit of the West song Home For A Rest. Now it's easier, and the transition from slow-and-hokey to tempo-di-scalded-cat rip-snortin'-reel was pretty natural.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Chiffed wrote:I believe Wormy's method is similar to Prof. Howard Hill's Think System.
EXACTLY!

I'm counting on it working!
Cotelette d'Agneau
Craig Stuntz

Re: Starting out

Post by Craig Stuntz »

ennistraveler wrote:I can almost play Off to California (but PLEASE help me find out where to breathe!)
These may or may not help you, but here are my thoughts on the subject....

First read Brother Steve's article:
Where do I breathe?

This is the most useful source I've found about when to breathe, but doesn't talk so much about how to learn to do it. I'm learning that now, and here are my thoughts:

Learning to breathe

-Craig
StewySmoot

Re: Starting out

Post by StewySmoot »

Craig Stuntz wrote:
ennistraveler wrote:I can almost play Off to California (but PLEASE help me find out where to breathe!)
These may or may not help you, but here are my thoughts on the subject....

First read Brother Steve's article:
Where do I breathe?

This is the most useful source I've found about when to breathe, but doesn't talk so much about how to learn to do it. I'm learning that now, and here are my thoughts:

Learning to breathe

-Craig
There are times when I play when the old asthma hits so I have to take shorter breaths. Therefore where I breathe becomes dynamic and not forced.

Ergo, breathing at the right spots is subjective at best.

The breathing aspect was the last thing I mastered with the whistle, after learning how to play tunes and tempo. The placement of the breath is part of the overall tempo of the tune and consequently is part of the beat.
I have listened to a number of players that learn the tune and the breathing, then the tempo, and the incongruity is apparent. The sound lacks the spontaneity of the moment.

You can either learn where others breathe and sound either dead or lively depending on where the the player decides to put his breaths.

If you listen to the best players, they dont necessarily follow the rules of where to breathe. They breathe where they need to as part of the performance, within their skills of course.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Skyclad01 wrote:The Munster Cloak
:-?
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"