fatigue (update, again)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

fatigue (update, again)

Post by Jack »

I cleared this post with Dale before submitting it, to ensure it did not fall into the realm of oversharing.

Just for those people here who care about me or just wonder...

Since my original post, I've had my blood taken 6 times and I've had a TB skin test, a mono test, the meningitus test, a diabetes test and a thyroid test done, and only the thyroid test showed thyroid disease but the doctor later did some more advanced testing of white blood cells and ruled that out.

She examined my neck and said she felt a growth or swelling of some sort on the left side of my thyroid gland and she suspects that whatever it is (cancer, a benign tumor, or something else entirely) might be causing all my symptoms.

I go back tomorrow and the next day for another test and for the results of the tests I had done today.

I'm still feeling really worn down and tired and I'm missing every other class because the doctor appointments last so long (but don't they always?).

I am going to have a meeting later this week with my academic advisor and/or the Dean of Labor about possibly getting my class and work schedule cut down, but I won't be classified as a full time student anymore, and Berea doesn't accept part-time students due to the way it's scholarship programs work, so I am worried about that and will hopefully get it all resolved when I have the meeting(s).

There's the update. I wish I had "solid" diagnoses to give, but so does the doctor. They're just really not sure what's wrong with me, other than the fact that there is something wrong with me and it's not "just psychosomatic" like I thought at one point.

Please pray for me, if you're so inclined!
Last edited by Jack on Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hiya Cran -

Way to go on pursuing this. I bet you're really relieved that people are taking your symptoms seriously.

I wouldn't worry about the part-time-ness, your school should be reasonable since there's a medical reason for needing to cut down on academics etc. Try not to stress over it, and do keep us posted.
fearfaoin

Re: fatigue (update)

Post by fearfaoin »

Cranberry wrote:There's the update. I wish I had "solid" diagnoses to give, but so does the doctor. They're just really not sure what's wrong with me, other than the fact that there is something wrong with me and it's not "just psychosomatic" like I thought at one point.
Yeah, at least the doctor didn't just come up with "It's Fibromyalgia. Learn to meditate," like they told my cousin.
I hope it's nothing serious, Cran!!!
Jack

Post by Jack »

fearfaoin wrote:
Cranberry wrote:There's the update. I wish I had "solid" diagnoses to give, but so does the doctor. They're just really not sure what's wrong with me, other than the fact that there is something wrong with me and it's not "just psychosomatic" like I thought at one point.
Yeah, at least the doctor didn't just come up with "It's Fibromyalgia. Learn to meditate," like they told my cousin.
I hope it's nothing serious, Cran!!!
What was wrong with your cousin?
missy

Post by missy »

keep us updated, and I'll keep you in my prayers. Let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do from 150 miles away to help you......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, Cran
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Yep. Hoping the best for you.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I have added you to my prayer list, Cranberry.

May God give you the strength and confidence to get through this.

Don't worry about your education just now, your health concerns are your #1 priority just now. Do what you think that can handle just now, but getting your health back or under control should now be your job 1.

I have developed high blood sugar which is another side effect of a medicine I have to take to control my Crohn's disease.

I had to learn to shoot insulin in my belly, and I thought I could never do anything like that.

Even with a firm diagnosis and treatment, it is still hard for me to nerve myself up for the shot, and I have only hit my target blood sugar twice since my hospital stay.

Do lots of internet research on whatever disease is suspected to be your problem, and share what you find with your physician(s) to make sure you are on the right trail to proper treatment.

Especially, make sure to share with them any tendency for depression. I was pretty depressed after I got a firm diagnosis because I have had some friends and family that have died because of diabetes. Dealing with the disease is hard enough without having to deal with depression.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Thanks for letting us know, Cran. I hope you can get this straightened out. Take a doctor's note of explanation with you to the meeting with your Dean. Certainly you are not the only student to have to cut down the work load due to illness, and most colleges have the ability to be flexibile on an individual basis. Let us know what they say. Perhaps you can arrange to "pay back" some of the lost work time during vacations, holidays, etc.

Getting this medical problem straightened out may also help you with your other medical problems. A lot of times they go hand in hand with thyroid problems. This could be a gift in disguise. I hope so.

Robin
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cranberry wrote:What was wrong with your cousin?
He had tremendous fatigue issues in High School. Many days, he just couldn't get out of bed at all.
Turns out he had a corn allergy, which is pretty crappy because every food in America has some
form of corn in it, or in the packaging,
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

fancypiper wrote:Dealing with the disease is hard enough without having to deal with depression.
And vice-versa. Sorry to hear about that, fp. Chin up.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

One of my brothers and one of my sisters had some sort of thyroid problem, but I can't remember what my sister's specific thing was.

My brother's thyroid apparently vanished, but after a few years of taking something to replace the stuff that the thyroid produces, it grew back and he no longer has any problems with it.

Allergies are very tricky to treat. I have a friend that visits that is allergic to chicken and feathers and he gets really clogged up when he visits (I have a parakeet for a pet), even taking his meds.

Perhaps you should consider having an allergy test.

fearfaoin, depression was the first diagnosis of my problem as the Crohn's disease symtoms, if any, didn't show up until after I lost my job and my wife left me. It took 3 years to get diagnosed with Crohn's disease (that's the average time).

Since then, I haven't been clinicaly depressed AFAIK as it has only lasted 2 or 3 days and I understand it needs to last over 2 weeks.

I have had another sister who experienced clinical depression which lasted several years and this was before the new, effective drugs.

That was a very stressful time for me, but apparently not stressful enough to trigger my Crohn's disease.

I start counting my many blessings when I start feeling depressed (and play whistle tunes) and I am soon in a much better mood and motivated to do my "waddles" (1/2 hour walks) in order to burn off extra blood sugar.

Cran, keep your chin up!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My thoughts and meditations are with you Cran. I am glad you had this looked into and I wish you the best.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cran, please know that thyroid issues (if indeed that is what the problem is) are VERY treatable, including thyroid cancer. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer almost 4 years ago, and had my entire thyroid removed 3 1/2 years ago. I am now on Synthroid which replaces the hormone my thyroid should produce...I will be on it for the rest of my life. Remember that a growth doesn't necessarily mean cancer. I had a cyst on my thyroid before we even knew about the cancer. The cyst was as large as an egg, and they only found the tumor when they did an ultrasound on the cyst. I won't bore you with the rest of the boring details unless you want me to...email me if you want, ok? Please know that you are in my prayers.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks, everybody!