Clare whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
phil_doleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clare whistles

Post by phil_doleman »

Hi,
Lots of discussion about cheapies lately, and how well some people love them. I'm lucky to have 2 old brass generations (C & F) handed down by my mum which play beatifully. I'm still looking for a good cheap D (pref. not too loud, too!).
The whistle shop is raving about the Clare whistles, though I only seem to read about the 2 piece on this board. Anyone have and love a Clare?
And given the reviews, a Feadog has to be worth a pop!
Screeeech!!!

Re: Clare whistles

Post by Screeeech!!! »

phil_doleman wrote: And given the reviews, a Feadog has to be worth a pop!
I wouldn't part with mine. :D
WilliamC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle and flute player. I've been playing for about 15 years now.
I am addicted to Chiff and Fipple. I access this site at least once a day.

Post by WilliamC »

I have the Clare 2-piece and consider it my favorite. Nice, sweet sound.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have several Clare one piece whistles. One of them is very good. The others are fair. None is as nice as my Feadog. I also have a very nice Waltons Mellow D. The other one I have is to airy and harsh sounding. Remember a good whistle is one you like when you play it. No one elses opinion matters.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Congratulations

Re: Clare whistles

Post by Congratulations »

I actually used my Clare 2-piece as my first major tweak. I cut out the soundblade and installed a (red tortex, thanks Bloomfield) guitar pick in its stead. Worked wonders for it.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I've only ever used the Clare one piece...the two piece concept always seemed a bit silly since it is a soprano D whistle we're talking about. A one piece body with a plastic head in soprano D is already very portable and fits in most pockets pretty well. But hey I'm 6'4" tall and the pockets on my jackets and trousers are deep enough to accommodate a D whistle any way.

The Clare D one pieces I've played are very gentle blowers compared to say a Susato or an O'Riordan. They're a good value - I bought one in Ireland for about 4 euros and played it until the head cracked...I'm playing a Generation until the next time I get over there. Clares are not very loud, but loud enough and great for picking out new tunes in a Chicago pub session with flutes, accordions, and fiddlers blasting away. The Clare has a soft, airy, "lonesome sound" I like very much...and they have "irish" intonation - flat F#s, slightly sharp Es, flat C nats, etc. The second octave notes are in good balance, tuning and volume-wise; the second octave, though louder than the first, is by no means shrill. Aesthetically speaking for ITM I think they're just about ideal. It's like a good Generation but mellower.

If you insist on lots of volume, recorder-like pure tone, and spot on equal tempered (pianoforte) tuning, or you play with people who insist on it, they won't be your bag.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I have two Clare one piece. One is one of the best whistles I own, which includes a Water Weasel, Humphrey's, and Mellowdog. The other is a very good cheap whistle.

Good Luck,
Jon
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

I have a Clare whistle, one piece. I think it is a very good whistle with a somewhat breathy sound. I have a Feadog which I like better. The Feadog takes more breath control, but I think you adjust to that just by playing it a lot. That was my experience anyway. My Feadog has better intonation, but my Clare is acceptable.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I bought a 2-piece, was totally displeased and was sent another. It now has a home in a public garbage dump somewhere near Rockville MD where it has been residing for 3 years.
I dont believe it fighting whistles. Either we play together or we dont play.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I liked my Clare 2-piece much more than my Feadog ... really in the minority here with that. It's good thing for the whistle companies that we all have different likes & dislikes. :)

Get both ... you will eventually, anyway. :wink:

Judy
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I bought a Clare two-piece and had a Hoover whitecap put on it. Lovely now!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I have a Clare D that is a very nice whistle. It's as in-tune as any cheap whistle and takes little breath to play. It has that breathy quality, especially in the high octave that I like on occasion.
Mike