Breaking news: The bodhran is NOT an easy drum to play WELL.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Breaking news: The bodhran is NOT an easy drum to play WELL.

Post by Whitmores75087 »

OK, you see we have this weekly gig at a nice pub. We have amplification, which should tell the world we're a band, not a session. We have a Djembe drum...don't need any more percussion. And last night we're setting up and this guy with what looks like a pizza bag walks up and asks if it's an open session. Duh! Fiddler player says "no". "I have a bodhran" says the newcomer. At that point the answer should have been..."I hope it's nothing serious" or "In that case I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave the pub". My question is: Why don't uilleann pipers do this? Why don't flute players do this? No, it's always the bodhran. They wanna sit up on stage going clippity clop, out of sync with the rest. I have a better suggestion for all bodhran players (most, anyway)...please please practice. Spend two hours a night for 6 months to a year, plus extra time on weekends. Play with a wide variety of CD's. Then come back.

That guy might have been good, but 90% of them are so awful they have made us scared to give anyone a chance.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Old news, I'm afraid, Whitmores.

Just because it's a percussion instrument does not excuse anyone from learning how to play it with skill and sensitivity. Why is it that attention-seeking nitwits are so drawn to it? It's not easy to play well at all. Maybe they just think they won't have to bother learning tunes. WRONG!!!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hi Pat,
Yeah, I know it's all been said before, but I just needed to get it off my chest. That's the glory of forums like this. Helps my sanity.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

The whistle is an instrument that often suffers from the same plague. It's cheap, easy to get sounds out of it, only 6 holes... people think they can play it in a session after only a few hundreds hours practicing. At least flute and fiddle and most other instruments will usually keep those who arent not willing to work at bay...
Denny

Post by Denny »

Azalin wrote:The whistle is an instrument that often suffers from the same plague. It's cheap, easy to get sounds out of it, only 6 holes... people think they can play it in a session after only a few hundreds hours practicing. At least flute and fiddle and most other instruments will usually keep those who arent not willing to work at bay...
Any instrument that is perceived to be easy attracts those with no talent...

...and the easier it makes noise the more noise it makes!

Fiddle is saved by sounding so gawdafull in the hands of a newb... :o
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Whitmores75087 wrote:My question is: Why don't uilleann pipers do this?
Actually, sometimes they do. That has happened to me. I think it's even worse than when bodhrans do it.

That reference to a pizza bag has given me a craving for pizza, by the way.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Playing hand drums myself, i am forever encountering people who turn up places with a djembe (usually untuned), smiling and stating proudly, "I chose the drum cause i wanted to play an instrument but i'm not at all musical".

And because they have absolutely no musical ability whatsoever, they really have no idea how annoying and distressing their noise is to musicians.
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

True enough. If you want to really feel abuse walk into any session with a circular backpack. Don't care who you are, where you are, or who you're with, the reaction is always the same. And I'd agree that the prejudice is often well founded, either because 1. all too often the bodhran owner in question isn't quite at sesh level, 2. its the 3rd or 4th circular backpack to walk into the pub that evening, or 3. its just that its a bodhran.

Its hard to know what to do in situations like these because while you always want to preserve the sesh you also don't want to kick out a potentially good player before you've given them a chance. Truth be told, as often as bodhran players wreck sessions, I've heard bad box & fiddle players ruin far more. That's not to single out the any instrument but its one thing if a supporting instrument is off the mark and totally another if the melody section is stuck on bump and scrape!

OK, off to sesh...with the circular backpack...!

Rob
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'm a drummer/percussionist. I have tried the bodhran and it takes completely different muscles and motions than anything I've ever played. I borrowd one for a weekend I thought I could sit down for a few days and make some good progress on it. All I did was make my arms tired and I never got the hang of the double stroke.

I had to give it back and I haven't tried it since. I'd like to, but now I know I have to invest a lot more time into it and I just haven't had the inclinaion. I will. And one day I'll carry the round backpack into a session and I'll leave it in the pack and pull out the whistle and let everyone shoot worried glances at the bodhran in hiding, just waiting for me to pull it out. And when I pull it out, I'll be pretty good. I'll make sure.

In the meantime, I'll be doing some tipper exercises.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

That's the fearsome thing about some instruments. Low whistles, nylon string guitars, harps, can blend.
On high whistle, any percussion, or just about any free-reed, every note is a solo. I'll never forget the ulcers I cultivated filling in on the 48 inch bass drum for an orchestra concert. The only one more nervous was the guy on tambourine and triangle. There is no easier way to sabotage a piece than to mess up in the percussion section.
I am guilty of occasionally playing spoons, or doing agogo or clave rhythms on a beer mug with my wedding ring during a pub gig. Once I was even invited on stage with my beer-mug-agogo. I declined.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
BigDavy

Single Stick styles

Post by BigDavy »

Hi FJohnSharp
All I did was make my arms tired and I never got the hang of the double stroke.
Like every instrument it takes time to get up to a reasonable standard, a weekend is not nearly enough time to get used to the technique. I would say that the average beginner player should practice for approx 6 months before even considering using it at a session.

A simple way to start a strings player (rhythm instrument like guitar, bouzouki etc) is to get them to play the drum using a soft plectrum using a strum pattern that they are familiar with. Once they get used to the idea replace it with a beater and go on from there.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

You're absolutely right David, and I was naive to think I could adapt so quickly. I know that I could learn something new, percussion-wise, that was similar to what I do, relatively fast. But the bodhran is too different.

What I do know is this: I understand rhythms and beats better than most people who take up the bodhran as an 'I really don't play an instrument so I'll try the bodhran' instrument, and when I get the hang of the motion I'll shoot up the learning curve. And I keep excellent time.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

RobBBQ wrote: Truth be told, as often as bodhran players wreck sessions, I've heard bad box & fiddle players ruin far more. That's not to single out the any instrument but its one thing if a supporting instrument is off the mark and totally another if the melody section is stuck on bump and scrape!
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes - found it in Bass Player, but can't remember who said it... "Nothing derails a groove faster than a bass player who isn't taking care of business."

So, "Nothing derails a session faster than........."

Insert your own ending. :lol:
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Actually, about the worst thing I personally have experienced is poor uilleann pipe playing. I can deal with a mediocre bodhran - it doesn't necessarily obscure the melody (That's my job, as a poor flutepuffer).

But out-of-tune, LOUD pipes really are next to impossible to play with. Fortunately it doesn;t happen as much. For a few reasons:
1) Anything so expensive requires people to take it seriously, so fewer dronetantes
2) The drones are optional! Which can be really nice.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
pureshift

Post by pureshift »

I can certainly agree that the bodhran is not to be taken lightly when learning it. I have a really nice Remo that I got about 6 months ago, and I'm still not comfortable with it yet. I play a lot of instruments, but I play only a handful well. Those are the only instruments I play in public. :)