has anyone played an MK?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bret
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

has anyone played an MK?

Post by Bret »

Hi everybody. I was shopping around for a new low D the other day (leaning quite heavily towards an Overton) when I came accross this site http://www.jazzwhistle.com. Have any of you gotten the chance to play one? Know anyone that has played one? Even heard of them?
Congratulations

Re: has anyone played an MK?

Post by Congratulations »

Well that's an extremely attractive whistle. And it has an extremely attractive website. But that's a lot of money to spend on a mystery whistle, I'd say. I'm going to wait until someone else has played it. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

There is somebody around here with one bought it pretty recently too...
jb

Post by jb »

Yes, I've posted on here a couple of times about MK whistles. I bought mine in January and since then it's the only whistle I play. It's the loudest Low D I've played and is great for sessions. I'm no expert and I'd really like to hear what one of the "Professional Reviewers" thinks of them. I would say they have quite a lot of backpressure, which I like as you can play quite hard ( if that makes any sense) and the air requirement is very low i.e. I can get further into a tune before taking a breath. The hole spacing is slightly less than on my other whistles and this makes for a more comfortable grip. The whistles are very well made and nicely finished. I chose black (it's hard enough being taken seriously with a low whistle) but I know Misha makes them in a whole range of colours.
Hope this all makes some kind of sense,

Jack
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

jb wrote:Yes, I've posted on here a couple of times about MK whistles. I bought mine in January and since then it's the only whistle I play. It's the loudest Low D I've played and is great for sessions. I'm no expert and I'd really like to hear what one of the "Professional Reviewers" thinks of them. I would say they have quite a lot of backpressure, which I like as you can play quite hard ( if that makes any sense) and the air requirement is very low i.e. I can get further into a tune before taking a breath. The hole spacing is slightly less than on my other whistles and this makes for a more comfortable grip. The whistles are very well made and nicely finished. I chose black (it's hard enough being taken seriously with a low whistle) but I know Misha makes them in a whole range of colours.
Hope this all makes some kind of sense,

Jack
Well, if anyone ever wants to loan me one, I'd be happy to work it up and send it back ;)
jb

Post by jb »

Wanderer, I couldn't possibly be parted from my whistle. Maybe people could chip in to fly me over and let you try it out :D
( It might be cheaper to buy a new whistle, but a lot less fun for me :lol: )
Jack
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That was who I was talking about, jb, couldn't remember the name but I did remember the dog in the avatar. Maybe I should get one and reveiw it I was thinking of buying another Low Whsitle anyway.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

jb wrote:Wanderer, I couldn't possibly be parted from my whistle. Maybe people could chip in to fly me over and let you try it out :D
( It might be cheaper to buy a new whistle, but a lot less fun for me :lol: )
Jack
Sounds like fun! you let me know if you have any luck with it ;)
Bret

Post by Bret »

hmmm... I do like the sound of backpressure, volume, easy reach and rad colors :D
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

I have very recently; along with my bandmate, Byll, who took it for a test drive as well.
Between us, we can compare MKs to low D Overtons, O'Riordans, Cillian O'Brien's, Howards, and Burkes, and the MK is as good as or better than all of them in both of our opinions.

I've simply decided to be a snob: wood only, no metal.
Still, until I can find a wood maker who makes a wooden low F, I'm on Misha's (MK) list for a low F in the near future.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I plan on buying one at some point in the near future. However, when I emailed them about availablility (delivery time) I never received a response. I will try again, but let me know if anyone has had successful communications with them.

Thanks!

(two T brett)
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

I've always used
info@jazzwhistle.com
and Misha has always responded within a few days.

I have the distinct impression the man is a player as well, sometimes gigging heavily.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

tommyk wrote: Still, until I can find a wood maker who makes a wooden low F, I'm on Misha's (MK) list for a low F in the near future.
Jon Swayne for 250 Pounds email him at js@swayne.demon.co.uk also I hear Mike Grinter makes them on request.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

tommyk wrote: I have the distinct impression the man is a player as well, sometimes gigging heavily.
Sure is, here is a clip of him from the Tönder festival in Denmark.

Check out his link page and "Croft No Five" for more.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
jb

Post by jb »

In my earlier post I said "The hole spacing is slightly less than on my other whistles and this makes for a more comfortable grip." Well I kinda wondered about this, so I checked it against my other whistles and the spacings are pretty much the same. I don't know why it feels more comfortable, but it does. :roll:

Jack