Name top 5 whistle CDs for beginners to listen to

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

(Sorry - I ended that subject in a preposition.) I keep reading/hearing that I should listen and listen and listen to "great traditional whistle players," but I don't know where to start - there are so many CDs, artists, etc. I USED to have Song of the Irish Whistle (which got me started on this obsession) but have lost it. :sad: I have some Celtic music CDs, but I want to start getting whistle CDs and don't know where to begin. Name the top five CDs you'd recommend I buy.
Thanks, Susan
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Totally Traditional TinWhistles- Various Artists is IMHO the best to hear a wide variety of the best whistles players both alive and dead.

Tinwhistles- Paddy Maloney and Sean Potts

Feadog Stain 1&2- Mary Bergin

Two Gentlemen From Clare- Not a whistle cd but essential if you want to hear how Irish music is played in Ireland
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-03-21 12:54, susnfx wrote:
Sorry - I ended that subject in a preposition.
That, as Churchill once said, is the kind of nonsense up with which we will not put! (He said this to demonstrate the absurdity of the argument that English sentences should not end in prepositions.)

On the subject of CDs for beginners to listen to, I'd recommend "The Branch Line" by Jack and Charlie Coen (on the Green Linnet label). It's a concertina and flute album, but the flute playing is great for absorbing the lilt and feel of Irish music - simple, not over-ornamented, but unable to be improved upon (oops!) Aim to play the whistle like that for starters...

Also anything by Miko Russell is worth listening to (damn! there I go again!). It's idiosyncratic, but again a lovely lilt and feel. Definitely something out for which you should look­.

PS Here's my favourite (child complaining to parent that he/she has brought the wrong bedtime story book):
<blockquote>What did you bring that book that I didn't want to be read to out of up for?</blockquote>
[That's five of them in a row: try recasting that to keep the prepositions away from the end...]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2002-03-21 22:23 ]</font>
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Okay, okay - I know it's supposed to be all right to end a sentence in a preposition these days, but I had an ancient English teacher who was absolutely adamant about not doing it! I diagrammed too many sentences to let that lesson go easily. (Do kids diagram sentences any more???)
Thanks for the suggestions - I've got a list going.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Stevie, brilliant use of the English Language

Susnfx, I think the core of good whistle playing includes good flute playing. I'm giving you 3 lists of 5. The most essential, in my opinion is listed as a must.

Whistle Only
  1. Mary Bergin - Feadoga Stain (a must)
  2. Gavan Whelan -
  3. Flook - Flatfish
  4. Margaret & Michael Dwyer - na daoine ata imithe
  5. Paddy Moloney & Sean Potts - Tin Whistles
Flute & Whistle
  1. Josie McDermott - Darby's Farewell (a must)
  2. Laurence Nugent - Two for Two
  3. John Skelton - A Few Tunes (from John only)
  4. Seamus Egan - A Week in January
  5. various artist - Gentle Breeze
Flute Only
  1. Catherine McEvoy - Traditional Flute Music in the Sligo Roscommon Style
  2. Paddy Carty - Traditional Irish Music (a must)
  3. Mike & Mary Rafferty - the Dangerous Reel
  4. Eamon Cotter - Traditional Flute Player From County Clare
  5. Vincent Broderick - The Turoe Stone (hard to get, from CCE recordings)
Above all, to learn great Irish music, pay great attention to pipers (Ennis, Willie Clancy), fiddlers (Michael Coleman, James Morrison, Dennis Murphy, Paddy Canny, Paddly Killorn, Bobby Casey, Paddy Cronin), accordian (Joe Burke, Tom Doherty, Joe Derrane) and concertina players (Elizabeth Crotty, Gearoid OhAllmurain). I learn more about the music by listening to other instruments. I learn about flute and whistle playing by listening to flute players and whistle players. Instruments that you don't play reveal more about the music. Because there are mysteries about the instruments, you then focus on the music, not the instrument.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Mark - I especially liked that last thought. I'm sure it's true. I was listening to a song this afternoon (without whistles) and found myself really just enjoying the tune and the feeling.
Susan
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Anything Joanie Madden does! Caramel Gunning...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-03-21 23:32 ]</font>
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

On 2002-03-21 22:37, susnfx wrote:
Do kids diagram sentences any more???
Uh...What's diagramming a sentence? If that doesn't give you a clue: We don't diagram sentences anymore...At least, we don't at my school. Maybe my school is just different.

Brent
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

On 2002-03-22 00:59, kardshark87 wrote:
Uh...What's diagramming a sentence? If that doesn't give you a clue: We don't diagram sentences anymore...At least, we don't at my school. Maybe my school is just different.

Brent
<P>Yurgh. We sure did diagram sentences at all the schools I attended. The teachers would inflict said punishment on us yearly from 3rd grade up until high school. And the sad thing is that it didn't teach me a lick of grammar...<I>that</I> I learned after taking Latin classes.

<P>~Firefly
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

It depends what your intent is for listing.
If it's to hear and hopfully emulate good Irish music, the suggestions provided above are good.

If however, you're looking for a CD to listen and practice from, I'd suggest one of the CD's that the Whistle Shop has for learning to play the tin/penny whistle.
The Ireland's Slow Airs CD and music were a help to me as well and can be purchased there as well.
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2002-03-22 00:59, kardshark87 wrote:

Brent

I just asked my daughter who is in 5th grade and she asked what's a diagram. I continued to explain it to her and she gave me this blank stair.

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The CDs from the Whistle Shop will be next on my list - I want to listen AND practice.
I appreciate all the suggestions.
OT: For the youngsters: You diagram a sentence by writing it out, then drawing straight and diagonal lines out in a lovely, artistic "diagram" naming the parts of the sentence: subject, verb, prepositional phrase, etc., etc. They can become extremely complicated. Glad my diagramming days are over - but I have to admit it taught me a lot (I use it every day in my work. Here's a sentence for you, though, that nearly drives me wild every time I type it [I work for allergists, so I type it a lot]: "There's a dog and a cat in the home." I can't tell you how many ways I've tried to type that sentence to make the subject/verb agree and still sound comfortable.)
Susan
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

OT and in regard to Churchill's mangling of a perfectly good sentence...

The basic, down home, phrase is: That is one rule we will not put up with. But it dangles the 'with' out there in the breeze.

The mangle: That is one rule up with which we will not put. Puh-lease. . .how far does one go to make a point?

The correct sentence: That is one rule with which we will not put up. It sounds formal, but it is correct. The phrase 'put up' stands alone and shouldn't be broken up.

Better: That is one rule we will not tolerate.

Sorry...and no, I'm not an English teacher! Just a writer.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

I think the more traditional the better. Whether it's whistle or not. As Steve said Micho Russell is great for whistle. Also, Lawence Nugent on The Windy Gap plays some "slow reels". These are great for getting the reel rhythm. John Williams on accordian is also great for the beat of the tune.

Don
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I'm not sure, but I think the new word for "diagramming" a sentence is "parsing" a sentence - probably from computer lingo or something. It sounds more interesting than diagramming but seems to be the same thing.