Ian Lamb low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pipemaniac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ian Lamb low D

Post by pipemaniac »

Hi! I receive my first low D whistle, it's a Ian Lamb.
I would like to know if someones have comments about that maker and is product.

I'm not a (pro) on the whistle but i don't realy have problem with the tin whistle. What i like to know if it is normal to have difficulty to obtain a good low D on the low whistle, i mean , i can make it sound pretty much ok but i'm not able to obtain enough volume, that's almost a wispering!!
Since i received that whistle that low D became better but i always have that problem of volume. If i tried to blow a litle bit harder the sound become like a wave.

So, ok it's probably just me but, if it's not, do you have some tips to resolve that?
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

I think that is common with some whistles. Some other whistles are better. Howard, Overton, and some more will be listed soon.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Ian Lamb low D

Post by greenspiderweb »

pipemaniac wrote:Hi! I receive my first low D whistle, it's a Ian Lamb.
I would like to know if someones have comments about that maker and is product.

I'm not a (pro) on the whistle but i don't realy have problem with the tin whistle. What i like to know if it is normal to have difficulty to obtain a good low D on the low whistle, i mean , i can make it sound pretty much ok but i'm not able to obtain enough volume, that's almost a wispering!!
Since i received that whistle that low D became better but i always have that problem of volume. If i tried to blow a litle bit harder the sound become like a wave.

So, ok it's probably just me but, if it's not, do you have some tips to resolve that?
Hi PM,

It may be that moisture is affecting the low end, that's usually where it will show up first. Be sure to warm your whistle up under your arm first, and when it feels warm to the touch, blow long and softly into it a few times, put your finger over the window, and blow hard (to clear moisture from the windway) and then see how it does.

You may want to treat the windway by dipping it into a soapy dishwashing liquid and water mixture, and then letting it dry before playing. It will aid in letting the moisture run off instead of building up in the windway.

And, good luck with your new whistle! I'm a little jealous! I've been wanting to try an Ian Lambe Low D for some time, but there just aren't that many out there. It should have a decent bell note, but it may not be quite as strong as the others. If you still can't get it to sound after all this, then get in touch with Ian.
~~~~
Barry
Phil Hardy

Me To.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Actually,I had the same problem to.
Phil.
greenspiderweb

Re: Me To.

Post by greenspiderweb »

Phil Hardy wrote:Actually,I had the same problem to.
Phil.
Was it with an Ian Lambe Low D or a Chieftain? How did you fix it?
~~~~
Barry
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Some time ago I reviewed a Lambe Low D comparatively along with an O'Briain - I much preferred the O'Briain and still have that one. The Lambe, albeit a beautiful looking whistle was not to my taste and as I recall did not have the strongest low end. That said, other than the noted moisture removal techniques, you might also try redoing the beeswax or tape around the tuning slide (I think it had a teflon taped slide?). Sometimes the fit is inadequate to prevent air leakage which can further dampen or infuse the tone with air. As I recall, my sample also had a wobbly slide which I did not bother to address with this fix because I didn't care to keep the whistle.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Phil Hardy

GSW

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hey GSW,I didn't buy them!
I have played several on journeys and they all sounded weak to me.They took a bit of air and even then they sounded weak.
I must say that they do look very nice.
Phil.
greenspiderweb

Re: GSW

Post by greenspiderweb »

Phil Hardy wrote:Hey GSW,I didn't buy them!
I have played several on journeys and they all sounded weak to me.They took a bit of air and even then they sounded weak.
I must say that they do look very nice.
Phil.
Thanks for explaining what you meant, Phil. Now, I don't feel too bad for not having tried one!

And, PhilO, good tip about the fit of the tuning slide!
~~~~
Barry