Medical Question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Medical Question

Post by TomB »

OK, I've been looking for the answer through the internet, but I'm obviously now wording my request properly because I have not found the answer, so I had a little talk with myself. "Self", I said, "why not go to the one source that you know will have the answer." I replied, "Self", I replied, "where is that." I then laughed at myself and answered myself- "self", I answerd, "the answer lies at teh Chiff and Fipple Poststructural Pub. Your friends there will have the answer." Of Course!!, I shouted, causing myself to jump back in surprise. I also slapped myself on the forward, and let me tell you, myself was not too happy about that.

So, here it is-

I won't go into too much background on my dad's medical conditions, not because I don't want to but because I'm typing this at work. I will however, say that he is on dialysis. He does periotoneal dialysis at home during the night.

Last night, he was in the bathroom. He was there for quite some time so my mom went to check on him. He told her that he "could not stand up" because he was so weak. His voice was also very weak. Mom called the ambulance, they took him to the local hospital. While there, he regained his strength. The hospital sent him home and said that there is a farily common condition that some folks have, I assume older and not well folks, that causes them to become too weak to stand after sitting on the toilet. I have been looking for this condition on the web, because of course, my mom does not recall the name of the condition.

So, if any of you know what this might be called, I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Yes, I know that MOST of you are not doctors, and don't play them on them on the internet, but if you have knowledge of this, it would be helpful to me.

Thanks, as always.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Tom, I spoke with my local (at the breakfast table) professional (RN at local hospital) who wasn't aware of this sort of 'condition'. He spoke of a 'vaso-vagal' response of passing out if you strain too hard, but that isn't what you describe.

My suggestion is to have you father call or write or go to the hospital and get a copy of his chart or call his regular doctor for a complete explanation that satisfies you.

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Although Tyghress had the best suggestion, in the meanwhile, you might try googling "syncope" and see if you get anything that matches.

I would stress that I am not a doctor, but I did (really) stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It could be (partially) something as simple as poor circulation into the legs; the seat pushing against the backs of the thighs. One of my relatives had a 'soft' toilet seat instead of a hard plastic or wooden one, maybe that would help.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Tyg: Yeah, I'm sure if my brother does not find out, that I will speak with the doctor- although don't get me started on his GP. :evil: :devil:
Also, as far as the condition you mentioned, I don't think that's it, either. I had that, some years ago, I believe. Thanks.

Gonzo: Syncope sounds a lot like what Tyg was describing. It may be it, but he doens't pass out and he's not standing when it happens. Not to say that it isin't it, and with the name syncope it may lead me in the right direction at any rate, so thanks very much.

Tom
TomB

Post by TomB »

Just bumping!

Where is Dr. Amar???

Calling Dr. Bombay, Calliing Dr. Bombay, Come right away!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

TomB wrote:
Where is Dr. Amar???

playing doctor with his patients :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Really! Where is he when you need him??? He wasn't around to help poor Ad with her sad little toe yesterday, either.

Well, no matter. We have the internet . . .

Read about orthostatic hypotension in glorious outline form at http://www.fpnotebook.com/CV92.htm .

Read about it in more detail . . . just search for orthostatic hypotension when you get to the front page . . . http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/home.jsp .

If you want a more user-friendly version, use their home version or the one for the elderly, both on this page . . . www.merck.com/pubs .
Last edited by Lambchop on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

From the TMI department...

My folks have very rounded toilet seats... sort of a "comfort fit" if you will. They put my legs to sleep if I sit on them for even a few minutes. (a situation worsened by their well stocked magazine rack in the down stairs powder room :lol: )... But I never encounter that anywhere else on regular toilet seats. Perhaps a flatter toilet seat is a solution? or one of those cushy jobs that Avanutria mentions

My thoughts and hopes for your family in any regard.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Scott McCallister wrote:From the TMI department...

My folks have very rounded toilet seats... sort of a "comfort fit" if you will. They put my legs to sleep if I sit on them for even a few minutes. (a situation worsened by their well stocked magazine rack in the down stairs powder room :lol: )... But I never encounter that anywhere else on regular toilet seats. Perhaps a flatter toilet seat is a solution? or one of those cushy jobs that Avanutria mentions

Also from the TMI dept......
I got a splinter from a toilet seat once.... :x
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Tyler Morris wrote:

My Mother in Law's house! She has the wooden seats! have you ever been pinched by one of those at the seams when the wood starts to dry from age and shrink a little...? I'd rather have the splinter!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Scott McCallister wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:

My Mother in Law's house! She has the wooden seats! have you ever been pinched by one of those at the seams when the wood starts to dry from age and shrink a little...? I'd rather have the splinter!

Yup, that's TMI, for sure!

I got a splinter once from a wooden teeter-totter. Yup. I was 5. My end went down, I slid backward, and right onto a huge splinter . . . about the size of a lead pencil . . . which wedged itself in my backside to a depth of about 1.5 cm. And broke off. People two blocks away heard me screaming.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Lambchop wrote:
Scott McCallister wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: Also from the TMI dept......

Yup, that's TMI, for sure!

I got a splinter once from a wooden teeter-totter. Yup. I was 5. My end went down, I slid backward, and right onto a huge splinter . . . about the size of a lead pencil . . . which wedged itself in my backside to a depth of about 1.5 cm. And broke off. People two blocks away heard me screaming.
And what did they do to silence the lambs, Clarice?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Yes, both my mom and I have had that odd experience of being pinched by a toilet seat :lol: . It is so strange because you know you felt something but the crack is so tiny that you have no idea what happened and you think it's your imagination. And it closes up when you stand up. Then you keep noticing this teeny pinch every time you sit down there and think you are really going insane. Finally you reach the only possible conclusion and you find a microscopic little crack where the pinching has been happening.

No wonder you were screaming, Lamby. That sounds horrible!!!! The things that happen to poor little kids.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Tyler Morris wrote:And what did they do to silence the lambs, Clarice?

My mom pried it out, a process far more painful than the original injury. I think she used a clawhammer.

The neighbors were begging her to just take me to the emergency room! The doctor! The fire station! Anything! They have anesthetics!

"You can't DO that to her! She'll have a hole in her ____ for the rest of her life!"

She just scoffed and went off to find a kitchen knife with which to assist the clawhammer. The neighbors considered kidnapping me for purposes of obtaining proper medical treatment.
Cynth wrote:No wonder you were screaming, Lamby. That sounds horrible!!!! The things that happen to poor little kids.
It was, but it paled in comparison to the time I was riding on the back of my brother's bicycle and stuck my little foot in the spokes, which dragged my foot and half my leg under the chain and chain guard.

Wanna hear about that?

She took me to the doctor for that one, but refused to allow a skin graft. She thought it sounded dangerous. In desperation, he phoned one of our neighbors and asked them to go look on the road for the missing skin.
Cotelette d'Agneau