C# on a low d... tips?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

C# on a low d... tips?

Post by Berti66 »

As I am still learning to play the lovely overton low D I got and think doing fine so far there is ONE thing that I have a hard time with.....
Doing a C# (all fingers off) now how to you avoid the whistle drops?
Must be something in how I hold the whistle but it would be particularly helpful if some magic low d player could shed some light on this :)

berti
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

You can cover the bottom hole without affecting the pitch of the C sharp.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

O'Brien wrote:You can cover the bottom hole without affecting the pitch of the C sharp.
That's what I do as well. or, since mine's a susato, sometimes I just stick on the thumb rest. :D

Some people are able to hold the instrument with the pinky of the right hand anchoring it. My pinkys are abnormally shorter than the rest of my fingers, so I cannot do this.
Everyone likes music
George
Tell us something.: I'm interested in Irish traditional music. Specifically flute & uilleann pipes at the moment. Did you know that the Sally Garden's starts like G2 DG B2 GB using the ABC language, that's certainly fascinating isn't it?

Post by George »

It is more of an issue with low whistles. For me my thumbs and lips (no teeth) are enough to hold the whistle in place. I dislike using my ring finger as an anchor as I don't want that to become a habit on notes where the pitches can be affected. I also dislike using my pinky because when it's down it limits the function of my ring finger. Trying to avoid bad habits before they start I guess. I imagine the angle of the whistle would affect how much the whistle would want to slip If you're holding it at a 90degree angle to the floor it's gonna wanna drop.

Sincerely,
-George
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

thanks for the tip of the ringfinger I am going to give it a go later today....
it made me wonder also, if you could keep that finger down on more notes than just the C# to make things easier?

as for georges remark on how you hold the whistle that could make it drop, holding mine at a 45 degrees angle I think should not cause any troubles.....

berti
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

You'd be surprised at how little covering the lowest holes matters on C#. My pinkie doesn't reach the whistle, so I can't do that. I hate thumbrests. I simply keep my lowest finger on the bottom hole.

This holds, BTW, for a soprano D whistle too.

Just picked up my low D and played a scale...my right hand, lowest finger comes down playing G and stays there until I play the high E. Hmmm. Never noticed that it was there that much. Played G, A, B and C# with and without that finger and couldn't hear any differece in the note at all.

EDIT:

I knew I didn't figure this one out myself... here is the link to where I started using this technique pretty exclusively:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... fting.html
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I use my pinkie to anchor on most notes actually it really only comes off on the low D in fact my Cheiftian has a spot of patina where my pinkie goes.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

To be honest, all 3 of the lowest fingers can be left down and the C# sounds just fine. It makes it much easier to have to place only two more fingers down when moving from C# to D, when one is playing very fast.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I also have an Overton low D and use my right ring finger to hold it in place. The angle I use varies from 45 to 90 degrees. Oh, and that would be 45 or 90 degrees to me standing or sitting.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Byll wrote:To be honest, all 3 of the lowest fingers can be left down and the C# sounds just fine. It makes it much easier to have to place only two more fingers down when moving from C# to D, when one is playing very fast.

Best.
Byll
On my Kerry, the C# is actually more in tune with all three right-hand fingers down.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo