Doug Tipple's new Speckled Bore flute review!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Doug Tipple's new Speckled Bore flute review!

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Folks,

Have I got a good one for you! Doug asked if I would like to try his new speckled bore flute recently, and I said sure(what else)!

I previously had ordered a dimpled bore Tipple, 8 hole white pvc from Doug last year, and found it to be an easy playing, great sounding, in-tune flute, and recommended it to everyone I talked to about it. Many of you now have a dimpled Tipple, as shown by all the posts about them.

Well, I can do that again now, with Doug's speckled bore, only with more enthusiasm, because I like this one even more! It is just a little louder in decibels (see Doug's webpage for details http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dou ... e/id8.html ), but I think overall, it just seems to have a richer tone, and better dynamics-you can still play it softly, and yet have the power, or empasis when you want it. Kind of like having a sports car that allows you to run through the twist and turns, but put your foot on the throttle, and you're off! It is very responsive, and I am very impressed! You can vary the tone depending on your embouchure, with a more unfocused chiff, or a clear, focused tone, your choice. Now I know what material I will order for my B or Bb flute with the inline holes!

I didn't have a wedge with my dimpled bore Tipple, but I was able to try one on the Bb I had briefly with the smoothe bore, and found it added some nice character to the tone, though initially a little harder to play with it in place. It didn't take me long to adjust however.

I didn't get a wedge with the speckled bore flute, and it plays just slightly flat in the upper octave(like any cylindrical flute or whistle-dimpled bore excepted), unless you push it (or roll the embouchure) to sharpen it. You can also adjust it slightly sharp in the low register by the tuning slide to compensate when playing in the upper register. Or you can do the smart and easy thing, and order a wedge with it!

I think it's a great flute now, and with my wedge, I think it will be outstanding! I will post my thoughts on that when I get the wedge.

So, have at it! Doug says he's back in business, temporarily, until things get worked out with his father's estate.

Another excellent flute, from Doug Tipple's stable, and another no-brainer! You won't regret it-even when comparing this new flute to my conical bore flutes, I'm glad I have it!

And have fun! That's what it's all about!
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Well, I got the Tipple-Fajardo wedge today from Doug. I played it before I put it in, and then after with it in place and several times back and forth to hear the difference.

Tonewise, it does add some body to it, making it sound more like a conical bore flute, and less open like the cylindrical flute or cylindrical low whistle (cosmic drainpipe) tone. I liked it before the wedge, and moreso with the wedge.

It also sharpens the upper octave just enough to bring it right in tune, which wasn't off by much anyway without the wedge. You just won't have to think about bringing the upper register in tune now, and you get the bonus "flavor" it adds to the tone.

It's just a very responsive instrument, and a joy to pick up and play. It really surprises me every time I pick it up. Way to go, Doug! You've done it again, thank you! That's all the proof I need, now I'm going to order a speckled bore in one of the Low Beasts, just to hear it growl! :tantrum: :thumbsup:
~~~~
Barry
ninjaaron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ninjaaron »

Sounds sweet. Unfortunately, a Tipple is still well outside of my budget. As are all flutes that I do not make myself. :cry:
Everyone likes music
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OnTheMoor »

Sorry to hear that ninja. Can't get much better value than from Doug.