Elvis joins the session

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Elvis joins the session

Post by SteveShaw »

All is going swingingly in our session though the pub is noisy. Guy with slicked-back hair (he's well-juiced) comes over to our table and says "Can you do this?" Pause...then big voice: "Well, it’s one for the money...." long pause... "Two for the show....long pause... "Three to get ready, Now GO, CAT, GO....."

We saw him off by moving fast from set to set and even telling him to shut up once but he was a very resilient (and large) chap and he had an entourage in the corner of the bar who just wanted to wail out Elvis songs all night. He even went into a sulk at one point but he bounced back and generally plagued us till closing time. Towards the end he banged out the rhythms as we played so hard on the table that my harmonicas were jumping up and down. Ah, the tourist industry...

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It was your man here was it?

:D
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Peter Laban wrote:It was your man here was it?

:D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I fear that our Elvis was far less benign-looking (and a lot less talented by the looks of it) than yours!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

ROTFL, Peter!

We just had a fella almost physically assault us at a session a couple of weeks ago. He started hollering "YEEEHAAA! Play me someadat fiddle right now!" and such, literally standing right in front of our fiddle & banjo player and shrieking "Play sumpin' FAST! YEOW!"

(This on a Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m.)

(I must also report, for those who are into such nuance, that he seemed to have a Tennessee accent ... Elvis again?)

Fortunately, he left after just a few minutes' harrassment ... presumably to get in his pickup truck and crash into an old lady on her way home from church or something.

I guess rednecks really are universal, as well as 'round the clock. :roll:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Talk about requests coming from left field...

The other evening at a gig a young woman came up to us and asked did we do any Def Leppard. I totally forgot my stage manners and started laughing. Def Leppard? Suuuuure. Pipes, cittern, and all.

The next night a fellow came up to us and said he had a request. Here it comes, I thought to myself, it's gonna be "Whiskey in the Jar". Turns out he wanted to hear the Kesh Jig. Who'd'a thunk it? That was a definite first.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:eek: spooooooooky :eek:

Although our bodhrahn player would happily concur that we should be doing Def Leppard. I keep telling him the rest of us are just too fat for the tights.

OK, off to banana sandwiches and Moon Pies (aka, the Monday nite session), yippeee!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Deaf Shepherd

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cathy

If Def Leppard wont fit, try Deaf Shepherd :lol: :lol:

http://www.deafshepherd.com/

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol:
BRILLIANT name!
Although from what I saw on their site I think we'd have to come up with something that's an even tougher squeeze than lycra tights .... TALENT :eek:

Thanks for the tip. Are they still around? I'm curious to hear them.
BigDavy

Deaf Shepherd

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cathy

They were originally called Def Shepherd but they got into bother with Def Leppard's agents and had to change it. I preferred the other name they were considering when they started up - Iron Midden.

The band is inactive at the moment, the last gig they had was at Celtic Connections last January when they played with their new lineup. I will ask Mark (or more likely Findlay MacDonald their new piper, at Piping live) to find out when they are next playing. It may be that they are waiting till they have a new cd recorded before they restart gigging.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Iron Midden -- even better! I really like these people.

Anyway, thanks for the info, David! I'll put one of their CD's on my "Want To Spend Presently-But-Hopefully-Not-Eternally-Unavailable Money On" List. Do you have a favorite between the two? Or maybe I should wait and see if there is indeed a new one coming. Hmmm. Meanwhile, tell them to put some clips on their site :-D, and have fun at Piping Live!

Thanks again :-)
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Cathy Wilde wrote:(I must also report, for those who are into such nuance, that he seemed to have a Tennessee accent ... Elvis again?)

Fortunately, he left after just a few minutes' harrassment ... presumably to get in his pickup truck and crash into an old lady on her way home from church or something.

:lol: Ah, but Tupelo, Mississippi is the birthplace of Mr. Presley.

And be glad that someone has asked (near Christmas) "Can you play, 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'?"

That request ranks #1 in my book. :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol:

And oh, daddy, you're so right. I forgot about Tupelo; in trying to make a Tennessee slam (we Kentuckians get that way) I overreached and went straight to Memphis. Whoops!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo