SUCCESS!!! NE Whistle Gathering '05

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

SUCCESS!!! NE Whistle Gathering '05

Post by slowair »

Everything about the day was a success!

Old friends, new frineds, new whistles, a new place, it was a good day.

If folks want to send me some of their best pics of the day, I'll post them to the web page for a while, then eveyone can copy them.

Page is at:
http://www.communitylinks.us/ne05.htm

Mike

PS As of Sunday at 10 AM ET, my web site was down. As soon as it's up again, I'll post the few pics I took plus any others that I get.
Last edited by slowair on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am so excited.
slowair

Post by slowair »

As of Thursday at 5:00 PM, the weather is predicted to be in the mid to upper 80's with low humidity.
For those camping, the lows will be in the mid to upper 50's and clear.
If you're staying in the area, Sunday will be the same.
You can't get much better than this.

No excuses!!! Everyone to the Gathering!!!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: UPDATE!!! NE Whistle Gathering '05

Post by brewerpaul »

Been gathering whistles and other instruments for tomorrow. Rainy here tonight I think, but beautiful tomorrow. Can't wait.
Last edited by brewerpaul on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
waltsweet

Whistlefest

Post by waltsweet »

Friends of the Fipple,

In case of trouble with the link to directions, here's the low-tech version:

From points West, take I-90 east to exit 4
From points East, take I-90 west to exit 4
For both of these, take US-5 (Riverdale St) south 1 mile and get on I-91 south.
From points North, take I-91 south
For all three, cross the line into Connecticut and take exit 47E toward Hazardville/Somers.

From points South, take I-91 north, and take exit 47E toward Hazardville/Somers.

The exit points you the right way. Go east on CT-190 (Hazard Ave), thru umpteen lights and look for this landmark: at one of the lights is CT-192 to the left. Turn Away! Turn right onto South Maple Street (#32). Go up a little hill, down a big hill, but don't cross the bridge. The big red barn is at the right, and the workshop is to the left in back. (860) 749-4494.

Hope to see you there.

Walt
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Thanks Walt.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Unfortunately something has, um, come up in the last minute and I won't be able to make it. But Gunther said he'd stop by as long as I let him bring my whistles. Happy to oblige, of course. :)
/Bloomfield
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Bloomfield wrote:Unfortunately something has, um, come up in the last minute and I won't be able to make it. But Gunther said he'd stop by as long as I let him bring my whistles. Happy to oblige, of course. :)
Somehow, I believe that works to our general advantage... :)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Aw mannnn! I'm missing an opportunity to engage in witty repartee (sp??) with Gunther tomorrow!? And I was so looking forward to inspecting his toolbox and trying out his alba, sigh. Packing and travel necessitates my absence from this wonderful gathering (I hear the ears of my fellow chiffers breathing a sigh of relief). But be forewarned, hopefully I'll make it next year! Maybe the guy in the orange shirt can take some notes for me...

Robin
spittin_in_the_wind

P.S., and Gunter, no I haven't learned any of the tunes you told me to learn last year... :roll:

Robin
slowair

Post by slowair »

In previous posts, both Bloomfield and Spittin' said they might be there.

Now they both cancel out at the last minute.

Am I the only one that is suspicious?

Well, we'll miss them both, but we've got a whole bunch of board members coming and hopefully other musicians, as well as friends and family.

It's going to be great weather and a fun day.

Hope to see many of you there.

Mike
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Finally it is upon us.
spittin_in_the_wind

slowair wrote:In previous posts, both Bloomfield and Spittin' said they might be there.

Now they both cancel out at the last minute.

Am I the only one that is suspicious?

Well, we'll miss them both, but we've got a whole bunch of board members coming and hopefully other musicians, as well as friends and family.

It's going to be great weather and a fun day.

Hope to see many of you there.

Mike
:thumbsup:

I'll leave you to decipher what that signifies...

Have a great day, I'm jealous!!!

Robin
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

twas much good fun
Thanks to mike and sweets
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Jeez-- it's 9:00 and I'm the first to post about the gathering yesterday! Sleepyheads!

Well, I guess that's not too surprising. Some people had trips upwards of 3 hours to get home after we started breaking up around 8:00.

The gathering was a total success. Many thanks to Walt for providing an idyllic location in a leafy grove right on the Sweetheart Flutes property. The shade, plus a completely perfect summer day made for a really comfortable site. Right behind the grove is a beautiful stream and several of us took advantage of that to swim and ride innertubes down the short rapids. Thanks also to Walt for providing burgers and dogs and some truly outstanding homebrewed beer. A perfect day, beautiful setting, good company, multitudes of whistles and homebrew-- it doesn't get much better!

Speaking of company, the gathering was a great mix of people, both players and spouses. Alas, that stick in the mud Bloomie couldn't make it but he sent Gunther in his stead and we hardly missed him :roll: . As Char and I schlepped instruments, cooler and chairs from the parking area to the meeting site, I heard some really terrific playing and when I got closer I saw why-- LE McCullough had made the trip up from New Jersey.
A bunch of the "usual suspects" were there as well, and everyone had a terrific time.

Charlene later suggested possibly making an overnight of it next year, with camping at a state park or some such thing. A session 'round the campfire sounds interesting.

Thanks also to Slowair for putting it all together.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!