Explosions in London

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Explosions in London

Post by avanutria »

Martin and I are okay, neither of us were near the incidents. Though I was at two of the locations yesterday :/

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3 ... 65,00.html

I hope Redwolf wasn't involved...I haven't heard from her yet. I can't remember where she was planning to stay.
Last edited by avanutria on Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

On the Isle of Dogs, near Canary Wharf.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

:(
Reasonable person
Walden
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

sh*t. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4659093.stm
UK Home Secretary Charles Clarke said several explosions in central London had caused "terrible injuries".

"The health services are in support to deal with the terrible injuries that there have been," Clarke told reporters outside Downing Street.

Number 10 said it was "still unsure" whether the explosions were a terrorist attack and although casualties were reported, no further details were yet available.

Ministers are meeting to clarify the situation and the government will make a statement later, Leader of the House Geoff Hoon told the Commons.

One caller to BBC Five said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines and bodies everywhere".

And the Press Association quoted union officials as saying sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground.

British Transport Police said incidents took place at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations.

Scotland Yard confirmed they were assisting with a "major incident" and said there were casualties.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

This is bad news indeed. I'll be interested in hearing whom they suspect. I doubt the news reports of a "power surge". Maybe for the tube but not a bus.

Hopefully Redwolf will let us know where she's at.

Man this crap pisses me off. :x This already has the earmarks of a well thought out plan.

My heartfelt best wishes for all of you over there. Martin I hope your family is OK.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Been watching the news for the last hour or two. Five tube stations were involved, they suspect at least one explosive device on the tubes. This resulted in 90 injuries at Aldgate and presumably more at other places.

The tube passengers were evacuated, presumed there was a power failure (which happens sometimes and passengers had no way of knowing how widespread it was) and started piling onto busses. A few minutes later three busses exploded.

There have been a few pics of one of the busses near Russell Square, the roof of the second level is completely torn off and it looked like maybe a side was warped too.

At least 20 confirmed fatalities at the moment.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Flyingcursor wrote:Martin I hope your family is OK.
His dad just contacted me, they are fine. Some of them were going to go into London today but when they got to the local tube station the system had already shut down.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

This looks like the same method used in the Madrid bombings.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I just spoke to a friend in Sandwich. He says things are locked down in London. He says the atmosphere is "eerily like 9/11".
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Yeah, that thought occurred to me too. The moment when the bus bomb was announced felt just the the moment when the pentagon plane was announced...up until then it *could* have been a horrible, if unlikely, accident.

Gary, there was mention on another message board of "bombs found and isolated in brighton and swindon"...heard anything about that?

Re: lockdown...no tubes, no buses running in all of London. Trains coming from outside london are being stopped before they reach the capitol. If you want to get anywhere today it's by car or foot power, but I suspect you wouldn't get too far in a car. However, I hear they are lifting the congestion charge today..
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:Re: lockdown...no tubes, no buses running in all of London. Trains coming from outside london are being stopped before they reach the capitol. If you want to get anywhere today it's by car or foot power, but I suspect you wouldn't get too far in a car. However, I hear they are lifting the congestion charge today..
If they don't sort this out by 5:30pm, at least I have my rollerblades with me!

It crossed my mind that if this is a terrorist attack, then just after the 2012 win was announced yesterday would have been the time to do it. That would have taken the wind out of our sails in a hurry.
Last edited by Martin Milner on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My thoughts and prayers, and I'm sure those of countless others, are with all affected by this situation.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy

Post by missy »

just checking to make sure you all are "ok"........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Great, just great. I hope all of you C&Fers over the pond are OK. Terrible! :(
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Yes, Swindon Station is locked down and evacuated.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner