Evolution of Lunasa

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Evolution of Lunasa

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Lunasa Has had a change in membership. Donogh Hennessy, dare I say one of the best Acoustic/Rhythm guitar players which has driven Lunasa for a while now has been replaced by Tim Edey. I don't know much about this gentleman, I just hope it doesn't change the direction of the band.

Do you think that this change is going to hurt the band?
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Wow. That leaves just Sean Smyth and the bass player left over from the original lineup.

I think we'll just have to see what happens. The music will probably change some - it certainly has since their first album. Whether thats a good thing or a bad thing is for each listener to decide.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

/Bloomfield
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Lunasa as been my favorite ITM band since I'm in ITM.

And I believe all the albums sounds different but up to now, the band never changed directions. Redwood had a different sound (a lot smoother) but they came back to the original sound with the Kinnity Session. And I'm glad of all that!

I would be happy their music still upgrade with time but not a change of direction like Solas did ...

Leo
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Last I saw on the Lunasa message board, which was a while ago, the absence was most likely temporary. He just needed to do is own stuff for a while.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am sure I wil still like them. My favorite album is Redwood in fact I am listening to it right now along with Otherworld different but I love them both. Yes they are my favoite band and I hope they come out with another book but if Donogh doesn't come back I don't think they will.
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Stupid question -- how exactly do you pronounce 'Lunasa'? I'm tempted for some reason to read that last syllable as "sha" or "sia" as in "Asia".
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

stratochicnic wrote:Stupid question -- how exactly do you pronounce 'Lunasa'? I'm tempted for some reason to read that last syllable as "sha" or "sia" as in "Asia".
Not a "stupid" question at all!

LOO-na-sa.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Bloom thanks for the link...I had no idea this had been a prior thread on the board.

I pronounce it Loon-a-sa
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

stratochicnic wrote:Stupid question -- how exactly do you pronounce 'Lunasa'? I'm tempted for some reason to read that last syllable as "sha" or "sia" as in "Asia".
In Gaelic, if the "s" is supposed to be pronounced "sh", then it will ususally be
surrounded by the "slender vowels" (i or e). So, if were pronounced "Loo-na-sha",
it would probably be spelled something like Lunaisea (or more likely
Laonaiseadh, just to tick me off...) Of course, I'm not really sure if Lunasa
is supposed to be a Gaelic word or not, so I'm probably just blowing smoke.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Lúnasa is indeed an Irish word. In fact, it's the word for the month of August!

Pronounced LOO-nuh-suh.

They're not an ITM band, though, are they? I listened to the Redwood CD and thought it was more of a fusion thing.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Redwolf wrote:Lúnasa is indeed an Irish word. In fact, it's the word for the month of August!

Pronounced LOO-nuh-suh.

They're not an ITM band, though, are they? I listened to the Redwood CD and thought it was more of a fusion thing.

Redwolf
Why wouldn't they be? They play dance tunes with traditional instrumentation, + a double bass.

They are a lot more "arranged" than some other groups, 'tis true. But so were the Chieftains, when they first appeared.

Redwood, as has been mentioned above, is one of their more "mellow" albums. I particularly like the new Breton composition on it.
OOOXXO
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Wormdiet wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Lúnasa is indeed an Irish word. In fact, it's the word for the month of August!

Pronounced LOO-nuh-suh.

Redwolf
Why wouldn't they be? They play dance tunes with traditional instrumentation, + a double bass.
Traditional instrumentation is a fiddle solo, or pipes solo, or a flute solo, or a whistle solo, or a lilter solo, or a concertina solo.
/Bloomfield
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Bloomfield, I'm surprised at you! Flutes have only been common in Irish music for less than a century-and-a-half. How can you possibly consider that traditional?

And really, when you get down to it, probably the least traditionally Irish thing Lunasa does is play reels. After all, reels were only introduced to Irish music about 200 years ago. Not really traditional, now, are they? They should be playing real traditional stuff -- jigs, spiced with a few minuets, country dances, and cotillions.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Bloomfield wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:

Pronounced LOO-nuh-suh.

Redwolf
Traditional instrumentation is a fiddle solo, or pipes solo, or a flute solo, or a whistle solo, or a lilter solo, or a concertina solo.

[Can of worms lid]
NOt worth opening the can of worms again
[/Can of Worms closed]
OOOXXO