cocus or blackwood (or something completely different?)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

cocus or blackwood (or something completely different?)

Post by Berti66 »

As I am still considering makers, what wood should I go for.
What are differences re sound, playing characteristics between blackwood or cocus wood.
I like the look of cocus wood and seems this is not very common in ITRAD? Most flutes you see are blackwood........any reason?

berti
Last edited by Berti66 on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The problem with cocuswood (for some people) is that a larger number of people will demonstrate an allergy to it than blackwood. I believe it's related in some way to poison ivy? John Skelton, for instance, loves his cocus Olwell, but has had to paint the lip area with a superglue mixture to protect himself from it.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Good Cocus is not easy to find these days and when you do it will be very expensive. I was asked by a flutemaker to look for some good quality wood and I found a company here in Germany that had some cocus, the cost per flute just for the wood was over 300Euro. From the same Company enough Blackwood would have been less than 30 Euro.

As it is so rare and hard to get, makers "normally" save it for their keyed flutes so keyless flutes made from it are not often seen.

If I am wrong and someone knows a Much cheaper source for A1 quality Cocus I would be happy to hear via PM preferably :wink:

Colin

Oh and there is the allergy thing too....
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

threehundred euro's for the WOOD ALONE???? goodness!!!!!!!!!! :o
but there must be cheaper sources, as other makers offer them too with not even a surcharge of that much per flute hmmmm or maybe I am wrong? the only source I found was McGee, with $350 surcharge per flute....

berti
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

There's a good reason why Cocus is so expensive - it's fighting its way back from the brink of extinction. It comes from Cuba, Jamaica and presumably the associated islands of the Caribbean, but was worked out comprehensively through the 19th century and into the 20th. Small amounts of the timber are now available again, but at boutique prices. I've made a few cocus flutes on request, but mostly aim to keep a supply for repairs to and replacement parts for 19th century instruments.

Perhaps the US Government should be convinced to close down its unethical military base at Guantanamo Bay and replant the area in cocus?

Terry
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

ok that sounds as if I would do better to look for other kinds of woods. had no idea it was on the brim of exinction, we surely don't want to make it worse, do we?
regarding sound qualities, what kind of woods then come to mind?
I have seen a wood somewhere on internet that seems to match cocuswood regarding sound but cannot remember exactly where.

berti
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I love the look and sound of boxwood, but it's not for everybody. It has a more mellow sound than blackwood, and it's a bit of a pain to care for -- requires a lot more attention than blackwood.

I also like cocobolo. It's drop-dead gorgeous when it's new, but darkens rapidly. It's every bit as resinous as blackwood, so is quite durable and easy to care for. I find the sound a little less dark than blackwood (if that makes any sense). Like cocus, allergies to cocobolo are not uncommon, although it's in the same family as blackwood. It also might have a faint rose smell when new.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Welll, hi Berti: I am a fan of blackwood.

I have a couple of boxwood flutes now, and still prefer the sound of blackwood. It's a personal thing, I think the sound of blackwood is somehow bolder. My boxwood flutes don't seem to require any extra care, at least in my humid climate.

I also have a mopani flute made by Casey Burns, and I have to say that I like it a bit better than the boxwood. This particular flute is a very nice player, and the mopani is a very pretty wood.

I will say that the flutes I am comparing all have partially or unlined heads, because I think that when you line the head, it is unlikely to make that much difference anymore ( :o running and ducking...)

M
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I really like mopane...it's very stable, attractive, durable, and, it seems, hypo-allergenic.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I like red lancewood, visually. Never heard one in the flesh, so I can;t comment on its tone.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

seems its going to be something completely different.
the options now are red lancewood, mopane, cocobolo or plain old blackwood....
anyone with a flute in red lancewood who could comment?
I understand these woods sound "warmer" and less bright than blackwood?

berti
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Terry McGee wrote: Perhaps the US Government should be convinced to close down its unethical military base at Guantanamo Bay and replant the area in cocus?
I agree...Peace and Justice through exotic wood.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

There is also Cooktown Ironwood which is practically more durable than Derlin it is like Iron (hence the name it als has the same level of fire tolerance) I think Skip Healy and Terry McGee both make Flutes from it and I know Healy's surcharge is only $50 more per Flute. You have lots of options if you don't know what to get just go with Blackwood it is the Standard by which all else is compared.
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

Mark Hoza (another in Australia) also makes flutes from cooktown ironwood. It's quite nice.
I.D.10-t

Re: cocus or blackwood (or something completely different?)

Post by I.D.10-t »

Berti66 wrote:…or something completely different?

I still want to see a flute in yellow or green Delrin. You could never loose the yellow one camping.

On a serious note, I would decide on a maker long before what wood to use. The maker may have preferences, and those should be taken into account. I am, however, only a novice.

I have both a blackwood instrament and a fruit wood instrament. The fruit wood seems more quiet, but I cannot tell if it is the design or the wood. I like black wood. I have seen people that had allergies to black wood have the maker place a silver lip plate onto the flute. For me I just like the look of black and silver. As my playing gets better, I hope people notice my music more than the instrament.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."