Is Seamus Egan the best flutist of all time?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AiglosCelt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Is Seamus Egan the best flutist of all time?

Post by AiglosCelt »

yep :D
seizurebot

Post by seizurebot »

He barely plays flute anymore. anyway, Michael McGoldrick is god.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Nope
:D
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Nah. Rama is. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Henke

Post by Henke »

One of the best for sure. He seems to do everything right. He has the power and honking when he wants, he has the beautiful subtleness when he needs and he has ornamentations like no other players I've heard. It's really amazing that he is so extremely good on so many other instruments as well. If not the best flutist he's got to be the best multi-instrumentalist at least.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

you mean Shameless Ego?

hmmm

I dunno.

With Matt, Michael, Sylvan, Michael, Deirdre, and, and and....

I don't think there is such as thing as "best" in the class.
A favorite, yes....but not best.

Who would judge them to see who wins?
Henke

Post by Henke »

David Migoya wrote:I don't think there is such as thing as "best" in the class.
A favorite, yes....but not best.

Who would judge them to see who wins?
Of course it has to be best for me, not best as a universal fact. My favorite is the best for me. So there! :)
kenny

no

Post by kenny »

Short answer is "no". There is no such thing as "best" at that level of musicianship - it comes down to personal taste. I will say though, that I can think of very few other traditional Irish musicians who are so accomplished on so many instruments.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

i think it is a little in the foolish side to make a statement such as "'Best flutist of all time", there are so many different style's of flute playing, especially in celtic music,,also in my travels through the music world over the years, i have listened to some fine flute players who have never done commercial recordings,
Seems to me this poor misinformed AiglosCelt is relatively new (maybe a few years) to the world of real traditional irish music, and should get quite a lot more exposure to the world of fine traditional flute players.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Back in 1989, the late author David Blum wrote a wonderful profile of Yo-Yo Ma for The New Yorker. It's available in his book "Quintet: Five Journeys Toward Musical Fulfillment" (Cornell University Press) and it's a great read for any musician, even if you have zero interest in classical music.

Anyway, there's a relevant passage in his profile of Yo-Yo Ma:
One sometimes reads that So-and-So is the "greatest" performer in a given field. But when it comes to artistic excellence there is no greatest performer, only a great performance, and that can occur unexpectedly. I've seen an English secondary-school production of Farquhar's "The Beaux' Strategem" that ran rings around the National Theatre for sheer acting skill and Restoration high spirits. A "great" violinist may possess genuine sensibility and enchanting beauty of tone, but does the enchantment cut through to the essense of the composer? Some of the truest performances...distinctly lack the typical superstar's sense of ease and protective sheen.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Amen to that. It's definitely a matter of context as well.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
AiglosCelt
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

Heh, I understand that it's a rash generalization to say someone is the best, Mr. Egan just happens to be me personal favorite...the god of honkin, sez I!
Last edited by AiglosCelt on Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

emhh..emhh...

please....

you have forget Me!

:P
eilam

Post by eilam »

it's true - Rich (rama) is one of them for sure, I can't even say who is my favorite, I know there are things that I try to pick up for various flute players, sometimes it's even in the simplicity of there play, or the tone. I would not say that Grey Larsen is at the top, yet there is so much that I pick up from his way of playing, and even tune selection. Conal is great but I don't know that I picked anything from his playing?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If I had to pick a best, my vote would go to Chris Norman, because he does so many different things and does them all well.

That said, I'm with Eilam, Dave M et al. The three whom I've listened to constantly the last year or so are Deirdre Havlin, Jack Coen, and Garry Shannon. Totally disparate styles, same end result: music that I love and hope to be able to play one of these days. I love Seamus's playing, but between the last two times I saw him (five years apart), I think he picked up a flute twice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.