"Music at Matt Molloy's" question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Music at Matt Molloy's" question

Post by Loa »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me who plays the set "Rolling In The Ryegrass, The Killavil Fancy" set on that CD? I'm pretty sure it's not Molloy, and I'd also like to know who accompanies him.

Thanks

Loa
DAMIAN

Unknown fluter

Post by DAMIAN »

im pretty sure its paul mcgratten on the flute and probably arty mcglynn on guitar.hope thay answers you!Damian
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

That's it, plus Noel O Grady on bouzouki.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Loa

Post by Loa »

Thanks guys!

I knew it couldn't only be a single guitar... The accompaniement is incredible: not too complex but just perfect for my taste.

I'll try to find some albums/tracks of McGratten.

Thanks

Loa
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

it is indeed Paul McGratten on flute.

he performed the two tunes for the classes he gave this past summer at the Catskills. I have a "bootleg" recording of that class.

Noonan as well did many tunes from his Maple Leaf recording.
franco

Post by franco »

Loa wrote:Thanks guys!

I knew it couldn't only be a single guitar... The accompaniement is incredible: not too complex but just perfect for my taste.

I'll try to find some albums/tracks of McGratten.

Thanks

Loa
I think he has 2 albums out if you look on Amazon or somewhere.
Flute for thought.
kenny

Paul McGratten

Post by kenny »

As far as I know, Paul McGratten has recorded 2 solo CDs. "The Frost Is All Over" was on the Dublin Claddagh label, and I would think is still available from them. His 2nd recording "Keelwest" came out in 2002 on a label called "Hare's Ear Music Publications" which sounds like a small independent label. There's an e-mail address :- Haresear@iol.ie .
He also did a fine recording with fiddler Paul O'Shaughnessy called "Within A Mile Of Dublin", and is on the CDs made by the band "Beginish".
A fine player, and I admire in particular, his playing of slow-airs.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Ha, I was in the Catskills class and was the one who asked Paul if I could get a quick recording of him playing it. The original recording is one of the reasons I decided to take up the flute.

He told a funny story to go along with it. He was excited about playing for the album, and came down with a friend for the recording. When his turn came up, he tried to warm up but couldn't get the lower notes to come out all all. He spent a few minutes fiddling about, all the while he was getting frustrated as were the recording engineers. Eventually, he took his flute apart and found his friend had crumble up a bit of paper and put it in the bottom joint of his flute. :D

Eddie
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

beowulf573 wrote:Ha, I was in the Catskills class and was the one who asked Paul if I could get a quick recording of him playing it. The original recording is one of the reasons I decided to take up the flute.

He told a funny story to go along with it. He was excited about playing for the album, and came down with a friend for the recording. When his turn came up, he tried to warm up but couldn't get the lower notes to come out all all. He spent a few minutes fiddling about, all the while he was getting frustrated as were the recording engineers. Eventually, he took his flute apart and found his friend had crumble up a bit of paper and put it in the bottom joint of his flute. :D

Eddie
I was having trouble getting my low notes last sunday, and it turned out that the peanut I'd tried to shoot out the end of my flute at a friend at a party the night before had actually gotten stuck inside.
William Bajzek
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

That's a friend? :moreevil:

Paddy Ward says: "There's nothing worse than showing up to a session without your D."

Well put.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

David Migoya wrote:That's a friend? :moreevil:

Paddy Ward says: "There's nothing worse than showing up to a session without your D."

Well put.
Well, he was shooting peanuts at me from his whistle.

There was no music going on at the time
William Bajzek