clarinet repair cost question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

clarinet repair cost question

Post by Jack »

I am preparing to sell a student clarinet that I played about six or eight years ago, but the cork is in bad shape. The pads on the keys and everything else are decent, but for a long time I just wrapped yarn around the cork to make it tighter. The buyer will probably have to have new cork put on, so how much will this cost them? I want to charge a fair price but I don't know how much getting new corks costs.

Thanks! :)
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

US$10 - $75 depending on the repair shop, and how many of the three cork joints need repair. Add $15 - $20 if the mouthpiece needs corking also.
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks! :)
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Just take all the keys off and tell them it's a recorder :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

Tyler Morris wrote:Just take all the keys off and tell them it's a recorder :D
Some recorders have keys.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm glad Dave answered since I was about to contribute that I once bought a wooden clarinet for my daughter, from eBay, then spent an equal amount of $ having it cleaned, recorked, oiled, etc, by the repair guy at a final cost substantially above the above quotes. In the end it still wasn't too great an instrument and she now plays a pricey Buffet that her instructor prodded her Daddy into springing for.
Danner

Post by Danner »

Many places can tell you how much it will cost before they do it. You might want to have it done, and then sell it because you could possibly get more for it. I've found that its usually best to go through local repairmen who work in their garages as opposed to large shops and chain businesses.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan