Fipple plug material

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

Where does one pick up the solid plastic for making fipple plugs without ordering them?

Thanks,
JP
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

I would try a friendly kitchen installer - see if he has any off-cuts of Corian (unless your going to make whistles by the thousand).

Richard
D Brooker

Post by D Brooker »

You can pick up HDPE plastic at any plastic supply house - I use it to make plugs - it can be purchased in a rod form in 1/2", 5/7", 3/4" etc. If you don't have a lathe place it in a drill chuck and at SLOW speed use a file to size it - hope this helps - DB
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

(tried to post this yesterday, but it didn't wome through for some reason)
I use 1/2"Delrin rod from Online Metals. Comes in 3 foot lengths, and is terrific stuff to work with. Not too expensive either. I make wooden whistles, but I'm thinking of trying to make one entirely of Delrin.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mysusato

Post by mysusato »

There a company called SmallParts.com on the web that is s great source.
scottjsull

Post by scottjsull »

Hey
I also use delrin,which I order from a
machine shop supply catlog.It is said to be moisture resistant,and sands/files better than HDPE.It is relativly inexpensive ,
about $2 a foot.which gives me 11-12 plugs.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Thanks for the replies, guys. It looks like I will have to order the fipple material, or find a plastics place. Right now I can't go any farther in my whistle making venture, until I can find a plug. I have given up on wooden plugs, since they swell and clog too easily. I did come up with a temporary alternative in a candle. It can be shaped very easily too find out what the fipple should eventually look like. I recently went down to the local hardware store to pick up my early birthday present--a Dremel. I love it, but today I did find a copper tube (high D) spinning like mad on the end of the bit, going around and around, after the drill bit cought hold of the hole I was trying to make bigger and quickly took the tube out of my grip. All I could do was to keep the tube at arm's reach as it spun until it finally came off the bit. I thought it was rather funny, although I did learn from the situation. It's called respect, and don't let it happen again! -JP
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

One usual warning-- always wear a dust mask when sanding these plastics. They are extremely long lived, and the dust will reside in your lungs forever.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!