What do Ralph Nader, Tiny Tim and Frank Zappa have in common

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

What do Ralph Nader, Tiny Tim and Frank Zappa have in common

Post by MarkB »

...They all are of Arab descent.

From the Wall Street Journal: A New Arab-American Museum opens.

http://opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110006647

Arab-Americans Tell Their Own Story
A visit to Michigan's new immigrant museum.

BY PAUL M. BARRETT
Thursday, May 5, 2005 12:01 a.m.

DEARBORN, Mich.--In a compact stone and glass building here, the creators of the Arab American National Museum seek to set the record straight.

...On the museum's second floor are three galleries concerning immigration, life in America and the contributions of the likes of surgical innovator Michael DeBakey, Kinkos founder Paul Orfalea (whose kinky hair led to the famous copy-store name), former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, consumer-rights activist and presidential candidate Ralph Nader and prominent Republicans John Sununu, Spencer Abraham and Mitch Daniels--Arab-Americans all. You might have guessed zany rocker Frank Zappa, but how about Tiny Tim, whose real name was Herbert Khaury? Overall, there are 4.5 million Arab-Americans, according to the museum--far more than the 1.2 million estimated by the U.S. Census Bureau in 2000. For a variety of reasons, many people don't check the box for "Arab," Mr. Ahmed said."

A lot of us in Windsor like going into Deaborn for the Arab restaurants, as we do going into Mexican Village for the same reason. Also Detroit and suburban Detroit have the largest population of Caldeans outside of the Middle East.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

So is Helen Thomas. Just ask Ann Coulter.

Y Shakira.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

They all make cool anagrams.

Nitram Merlin.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

sigh...you forgot Casey Kasem and Jamie Farr (he might be Rom). Danny Thomas was Lebanese but perhaps Christian. I thought Zappa was Sicilian, tho.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chaldeans and Assyrians are Christian Arab populations. Then there are other Christian groups, too. There happens to be a thriving Maronite church with a BIG congregation not far from where I live. Although I've not attended, I understand that the liturgy used to be conducted in Arabic if it still isn't.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

The Weekenders wrote:sigh...you forgot Casey Kasem ....
And about time, too. :)
/Bloomfield
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:Chaldeans and Assyrians are Christian Arab populations. Then there are other Christian groups, too. There happens to be a thriving Maronite church with a BIG congregation not far from where I live. Although I've not attended, I understand that the liturgy used to be conducted in Arabic if it still isn't.
Indeed. It bothers me to no end that people seem to equate being Arab with being Muslim. There are plenty of Arab Jews and Christians and Muslims come in all different colors.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Not to mention that the country with the largest Muslim population is. . . Indonesia.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:Indeed. It bothers me to no end that people seem to equate being Arab with being Muslim. There are plenty of Arab Jews and Christians and Muslims come in all different colors.
Personally, I find it bothersome that we continue to look for and find ways to separate ourselves from each other rather than to find our similarities and common grounds.

I am what I am, you are what you are, but we are both humans, with far more in common than different.

I am all for remembering our heritage, and celebrating diversity, but I would sure like to see some coming together rather than all this heightened differentiation that has been building.

(sigh)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Nanohedron wrote:Chaldeans and Assyrians are Christian Arab populations. Then there are other Christian groups, too. There happens to be a thriving Maronite church with a BIG congregation not far from where I live. Although I've not attended, I understand that the liturgy used to be conducted in Arabic if it still isn't.
In Syriac, actually, which is a dialect of Aramaic (the "classical" form of which was the language Jesus spoke). There are a couple of lines of Aramaic in the KJV Bible. The one I remember is "Eli, Eli, lama sabachtni?" "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

It's a Semitic language (some others being Arabic, Hebrew, and Amharic). The grammar of that quote, and part of the vocab (except for the last word), is very close to the Arabic version. I think that Syriac is almost extinct as a spoken language, but it was very widespread at one time.

I have a Syriac Bible around somewhere, I think. Several letters of he alphabet are very similar to their Hebrew equivalents in certain handwriting styles. There are several other styles show here.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cranberry wrote:
Indeed. It bothers me to no end that people seem to equate being Arab with being Muslim. There are plenty of Arab Jews and Christians and Muslims come in all different colors.
As for Christians, don't forget the Copts--mostly in Egypt. One of my Arabic instructors was a Copt. Another was Greek Orthodox--lots of Greek influence in Alexandria.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe