Upgraded to a half set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Upgraded to a half set

Post by buskerSean »

Hi all, I've just got back from Brain Howard's workshop in Sheffield where I picked up my new bag, stock and drones to upgrade my practice set. Wow. Like most people (I assume) it is taking some getting used to after only playing a chanter, but they sound MEAN. Jaw dropping mean. I'll post some pics up at some point.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Congratulations on the 1/2 set!!! :party:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Got my drones on the weekend. It's like I'm a beginner all over again.

The drones take a lot more air. Initially, I felt like I was constantly pumping the bellows. Someone gave me a tip - make sure that you fill the bellows - don't just half fill it. This means fewer pumps with the bellows and a steadier sound from the drones.
PJ
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

As I recall, the general advice for someone new to the drones, is to block off the bass and baritone drones and start with only the tenor drone going.

Once you get used to the change in the air demand, then try 2 - the tenor and bari together. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Once you get the hang of the added air demand, then try all 3. But I wouldn't recommend jumping in and doing all 3 at first.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Thanks wolvy. I'll try that.
PJ
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

PJ wrote:Got my drones on the weekend. It's like I'm a beginner all over again.

The drones take a lot more air. .
The should take a bit more but not drain you of air so you have to work up a sweat. One of my pupils has a Willie Rowsome set the dornes of that one need a lot of work top play, frustrating. She never uses the bass drone.
teirw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Howard half set

Post by teirw »

Hi BuskerSean, I'm really pleased for you! You deserve it for your services to piping. I think you'll get used to it very quickly. For me it was the weight and shape difference of the bag which was the main change. Having something across the lap meant changing the placing of the bag ( further up under the arm in my case) Once that was sorted my set flew and takes very little air ( as does the chanter). A well known piper commented ' oh, they play on a breeze!' I'll race you for the regs.All the best of luck and enjoy!
PJ

Post by PJ »

Peter Laban wrote:The should take a bit more but not drain you of air so you have to work up a sweat. One of my pupils has a Willie Rowsome set the dornes of that one need a lot of work top play, frustrating. She never uses the bass drone.
I'm probably exaggerating. I have to pump more, but I don't have to exhaust myself doing it. When I first started, I had to think about the notes I was playing AND think about pumping the bellows. With experience, working the bellows became a reflex. Now that I've added the drones, I just need to get used to the additional demand for air. I'll try what wolvy suggested and block two of the drones for the next few days.
PJ
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Lucky man, Busker. Enjoy! :party:
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

half a set of pipes, eh? well, my whistles ain't half-ass things, HA!!

Image and runs..
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

I've noticed a few of these whistler trying a walk on the wild side.

Looks like they're starting to get braver. :lol:

All the best Sean and PJ.

David
HiDoh

Post by HiDoh »

David Lim wrote:I've noticed a few of these whistler trying a walk on the wild side.
drone envy!!
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

I guess there must be two kinds of people in the world. Pipers and those who want to be pipers. :lol: :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

... yes, the power of the dark side is strong. :D
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Glad it's not just me who takes time to re-adjust. I found the strap over my left shoulder made all the difference to the weight of the drones and stock pulling the chanter over. Just got to get 'em playing smooth and even for the season's playing.