Name of the tune in Brian Finnegan's tutorial

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Dee Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Name of the tune in Brian Finnegan's tutorial

Post by Dee Whistler »

Hi!

Does anybody who has the Brian Finnegan's CD tutorial, know the name of the second tune in his "performance" clip? The first one is called Dan Breen's I think, but I have not found the second one from anywhere else.

It goes something like: dA~A2 defd eB~B2 efge f3a bfaf ~e3d egfe ETC (two sharps, of course)

Cheers!

Dee
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Dee,

I don't have a direct answer for you, but if you email his band Flook at enquiries@flook.co.uk I'm sure he'll answer you fairly promptly.

If you like Brian's style, you might consider attending the Burwell Bash, a week long residential course near Cambridge, England, in early August. Brian has been the whistle and flute tutor for years, and is a great character.

You may not be able to get in for this year though, as it fills out early, and the previous year's students are given first dibs.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

Thanks for the reply! Did right away what you suggested. Hope they answer soon.

Yes, I'm a keen admirer of Brian's style and hope that some day I have the time and money to go to one of his courses.

Thanks! :)
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

Yes!

I just got mail from Sarah Allen. The tune is called "Trip to Miriam's" and is from fiddler Colin Farrel (not the Hollywood actor :D ).

...If anyone is interested :-?

I seem to be talking to myself. May be I should go to see my shrink. (Can be a common habit if you're a whistler, or especially if you're married to one).
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

No, you're not talking to yourself. I just don't know any of the answers to your questions! I am feeling very lucky that Flook is giving a concert in Iowa in May I think. Is the tutorial you are refering to the MadForTrad one I think I have seen by him? Are you finding it helpful?
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

Hi Cynth!

Yes, it's the MadforTrad tutorial. I myself have played the whistle a few years now, but I think the tutorial is still worth every penny (some thousands of those pennies actually :wink: ) It covers all the basics of course and there is a lot of more complicated stuff also and some ornamentations one rarely sees in these tutorials. Only downside in the tutorial IMHO is that Brian does not play the tunes he teaches in full tempo (except in one "performance" clip), but there is only the slowly played versions. It would be nice to hear where one is aiming also.

Nevertheless I think it is very useful tutorial especially if you like Brian's style. The fact, for example, that Brian tongues every note in the tutorial and teaches one to do so, makes the tutorial somewhat different from the others I have seen. Personally I think players should use as many tutors/tutorials as possible to get the most of it.

I am cursed to live in Finland :( . I don't think Flook is coming here anywhere in the near future anyway. So jealous! Enjoy the gig!

Dee
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Dee,

glad to hear you got the answer!

I think thtre are quite a few Flook fans on C&F, but not necessarily on the ITM forum. Though some of their tunes are traditional, their style is not, and you may find more fans on the whistle board.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Gosh, I would just love to visit Finland! Flook might go there someday. It is unusual for anyone to come to Iowa actually. I was quite surprised. They are undoubtedly on their way somewhere else and are just passing through here---nothing against them, I just mean they must have gotten booked here because it is between two bigger venues.

I have been thinking about getting the Finnegan tutorial, and for me, playing the tunes slowly only would not be a problem. I already know that anything fast is too fast for me---I don't get a whole lot out of the up to tempo playing as far as learning goes. My main tutorial has been the book by Grey Larsen, which I like alot, and he does stress not tonguing at first and then adding it in as a means of articulating notes you want to stress. I have come to notice other ways of doing this and I think it would not confuse me too much, even though I've only been playing since September.

In general I much prefer the real traditional type of music. But I happened to see a video clip of Flook in performance and I really enjoyed it. Also, it just seemed to me that the musicians were so extremely accomplished that I could overcome my wanting to hear just traditional style and just enjoy what they were doing. Whatever they were doing it was up to the highest standards of making music, I guess I would put it.
djm

Post by djm »

If you listen to the Mad4Trad CD you will find he has some very tasty twists to the rhythm which are not documented or explained. You have to listen to pick them up.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.