Sean McGuire R.I.P.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sean McGuire R.I.P.

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I read just now on another forum that the great Belfast fiddler/piper Sean McGuire has died. A real genius on the fiddle, like no one before or since, and a gent by all acounts as well.
Sean was an excellent piper too, I've a bit of him from the late 60s playing the pipes and it's lovely, charming music.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Ooops, meant for this to be on the uilleann pipes forum.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Re: Sean McGuire R.I.P.

Post by dubhlinn »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:I read just now on another forum that the great Belfast fiddler/piper Sean McGuire has died. A real genius on the fiddle, like no one before or since, and a gent by all acounts as well.
Sean was an excellent piper too, I've a bit of him from the late 60s playing the pipes and it's lovely, charming music.
Shocked.

A Hero of mine for many,many years.
Never really got the respect he should have from the "Pure Drop" crowd but even when he was having a bad day, and the rest were having a great day, there's not one of them would see him for the dust.
The greatest fiddle player anywhere, anytime,bar none.
Nobody will ever come anywhere near him.

He retired for a while to have a Voice -box fitted after a battle with throat cancer but came back to record an album on Gael -Linn which was a showcase of his brilliance.

The Rialto...The Bees Wing..any reel you care to mention..he was the Man.

May he rest in peace.
We will never,ever see his like again.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats