Melody Flute from Laurel, MD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Melody Flute from Laurel, MD

Post by OBrien »

I just received an old whistle-like instrument that I purchased on eBay and I was wondering if anyone has any information about it.

It is stamped "Made by Melody Flute Laurel, MD C". It is side-blown, with a mouthpiece that resembles a referee's whistle.

It has a pleasant, slightly windy tone and is perfectly in tune.

I'd like to know how old it is and whether they were made in other keys. Any other info would be appreciated.
Entropy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Entropy »

It sounds like something that I had when I was a kid. I bought it from a toy store in Williamsburg, VA. That was 20-25 years ago, but there is a very similar store in the same area (Merchants Square). I beleive it was called the Toymaker of Williamsburg. I know it's not much, but it's something.
Entropy
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Run a search of the Forums. These have often been discussed. They were used as "preband instruments" (like Flutophones and tonettes... but, in this case, a straight fife, with a side mouthpiece, making it essentially a whistle that is blown from the side), and a version may still be on the market from Mel Bay Publications. I used to have one. As I recall, it had a very nice tone.
Reasonable person
Walden
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I also picked up one of these on EBay several months ago. I paid $8.00 US plus shipping and was not expecting a lot. It was filthy and unplayable when it arrived. After a fair bit of hot soapy water, it began to make noises. Interestingly enough, it now plays reasonably well and sounds quite nice, if a little breathy. The one I bought has apparently seen a lot of use as the plating is worn completely through to the brass at each of the finger holes as well as underneath where you would rest your thumbs. Also, at least one of the previous owners left a lot of teeth marks on the sideways fipple thingie. I find it rather charming that someone or several someones played the heck out of this thing over apparently an extended period of time. I like to think this was an instrument that meant something to someone at one time. Even though I have any number of whistles that are superior to this, I'm glad I have it and will take good care of it. It served someone(s) well and deserves a good home.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Count me as another person having one of these...I never could find much info on it! This particular one was stuck in my friend's mailbox by God knows who. It just showed up one day with a note saying he might want it since he was a flute player...he eventually passed it on to me.

I also have another side blown thing like this...but that one is fingered like a recorder...and in tune only in the lower octave...the top goes ridicuously flat. I won that one off eBay...has a nice tone, but just a strange instrument.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

These are a '50's thing that frequently turn up on eBay. I guess they served the same school music function as cheap recorders do today. I've seen two versions, one nickel, the other black plastic. Both are in "C", the metal ones seem to preserve a cleaner tone.

Mel Bay listed one in its cataloques and Thom Larson had some listed at the Whistle Shop at one point, but I've never seen one of the new ones.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues