Tim Britton Reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
texasbagpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tim Britton Reeds

Post by texasbagpiper »

Has anyone had any luck with a different style of reed in Tims chanters. Instead of the short bridleless ones..... Thanks
jdevereux

britton reeds

Post by jdevereux »

Tim's reeds are brillent, but I would not sugest sending your pipes to him as he has a nasty habit of never getting around to doing the job for you. Not to give him a bad name, but he is not exactually punctual about sending stuff back, he just forgets about it.
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I'm curious as to why you would want to use a different style.

Steve
WannabePiper

Re: britton reeds

Post by WannabePiper »

jdevereux wrote:Tim's reeds are brillent, but I would not sugest sending your pipes to him as he has a nasty habit of never getting around to doing the job for you. Not to give him a bad name, but he is not exactually punctual about sending stuff back, he just forgets about it.
He's always been more than prompt with my stuff and very pleasant to deal with, to boot.
chanterdan
antispam: No

nick whitmer

Post by chanterdan »

nick whitmer could help with your reeds , nick learn to make pipes from tim,and think he makes same style reeds for his stuff.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

My latest pipemaking reamer, came from Tim... Im having trouble making his style reeds work, It might be the cane Im using?????
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

At our last tionol I watched Benedict Koehler make a reed for a Tim Britton chanter. He said that he has only had luck reeding Tim's chanters by reeding them Tim's way.

Benedict went ahead and tried his regular method, just to see if it would work this time, but it did not (at least not up to his expectations). So he tried again with the Tim Britton method and it worked.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I guess I have some work to do
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Yeah, it takes a while to get it down. Personally, I perfer the flexibility that using bridles allows. You could make use of installing a bridle with Tim's style reed... it may make it easier on you. Practice, practice, practice... :D
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

yea I talked to Patrick Sky through email this morning and he said the same thing... Try a bridle on the Britton reeds.....
vanfleet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Tim Britton reeds

Post by vanfleet »

I've had success with Tim's style of reed using two methods:

1. order a reed from Tim! Not cheap, but not the most expensive reed I've heard of. He sent me a new chanter reed after a phone conversation, payment and reed might have crossed in the mail, I got it that fast. Popped it in and played "Off She Goes."

2. make about a hundred reeds using Tim's book "My Method." I will report that I've had better success lately by changing the recommended dimensions very slightly; a wee bit *longer* helps with the second octave E overtones, and about one mm *narrower* than his recommended width.

I've had more than one piper and pipemaker tell me they didn't think I could get a hard bottom D out of my Britton chanter, and not every reed will do it, but one of my recent efforts gave a very nice hard D (but not so nice on balance or tuning overall).
JVF
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Ive been using the David Daye dimentions, and I made some adjustments to Tims plans widdening the bore and moving all the tone holes a little higher on the chanter.... but I want to start making my chanters directly from his measurements,,, so Im going to have to make that style reed. Ive only tried it a few times, Ill have to keep at it...
Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Tim has always been very friendly and most helpful to me when I need help making reeds for my Britton set.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have always found dealing with Mr. Britton pleasant and entertaining. Nice guy that Tim fella is.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I have always found dealing with Mr. Britton pleasant and entertaining. Nice guy that Tim fella is.
And very knowledgable - has posted some interesting information from time-to-time on this very forum.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/