Tune List--additions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Tune List--additions?

Post by jim stone »

Here is a list of tunes I play on the flute, which I've compiled so I won't forget so many. I'm pretty eclectic. Well, I wonder if anybody
can suggest additions?

Both sides now, Endearing young charms, Dark Island,

Hector the Hero, Off to CA

Fisher's Hornpipe, Brown Coffin, Rodney's Glory, St. Ann's Reel, Soldier's Joy

New South Waltz, The Osprey, Banish Misfortune Peacock's Feather

Mikey Mahoney's, Road to Lisdavernin, The Fort of the Fairy Queen

Star of the County Down, A Week in January, Loch Lomond

Favorite Things, I Will, Unknown Reel, Morrison's Jig

Three Sea Captains The Orphan, Yankee Doodle

Shady Grove, When I Am 64, Minuet in G Sheep, May Safely Graze

The Troubled Child, Coilsfield House, Lament of the lost Generation

Genevieve's Waltz, Bachelor's Farewell, Moran's Return

Desperado, Her Long Black Hair Yesterday

Easter Oratorio, Israeli Tunes, Do You Love An Apple,

When Pretty Polly, Someday Soon, O'Carrolyn's Quarrel

Other O'Carrolyn, Silver Spear, Sargent Early's Dream

The Ashgrove, Simple Gifts, Shaker Tune, Oh Susannah

Turkey in the Straw, 8th of January, Welsh Lullaby

Danny Boy, Come to me, Bend to me, Planxty Irwin

They didn't believe me, Someone to Watch Over me

Morrison's Jig Whistle Rag, St. Louie Tickle, Magic Flute

Blackberry Blossom, Cherokee Shuffle, Silver Spear

Black Orpheus, Long Lonely Summer, Her Long Black Hair

Come all you Young and Tender Girls, Maho Snaps, Irish Washerwoman

Toodle Sac, Whiskey Before Breakfast, How are things in Gloccamora?

Greensleeves, When Christ was of a Virgin Born, Down by the Brazos,

Rosin the Bow, Morris Dance The Magic Flute, Red Haired Boy

Long lonely summer, Black Orpheus, Tennesee Waltz

Swallow tail Jig, The First Time Ever, Boys of the Town
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Nelson added these suggestions on another thread,
for which my thanks.

Add to those: Oh Burry Me Not On The Lone Prairie, Sweet Betsie From Pike, Summer Time, Go Tell It On The Mountain; and search under barber shop for Sweet Adaline, Sweet Sixteen, Them Weding Bells are Breaking Up that Old Gang of Mine, Tell Me Why(a very good one to practrice on the flute), Help Me Make It Though The Night, Walla Walls (also called The River Is Wide), Some Day, I Fall To Pieces, People Will Say We Are In Love (from Oklahoma), Over There, There Is a Long Long Train A Winding, and most of Steven Foster. I could set here all day and name tunes, but this and the above list ought to keep you occupied for a year or so .
Lambchop
antispam: No

Re: Tune List--additions?

Post by Lambchop »

jim stone wrote: Minuet in G Sheep,

Fascinating image, that. :)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

'Gee Sheep!'
That's the title, unabbreviated.
It's a hornpipe.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

jim stone wrote:'Gee Sheep!'
That's the title, unabbreviated.
It's a hornpipe.
Now I'm confused.

This is what you wrote above:
Shady Grove, When I Am 64, Minuet in G Sheep, May Safely Graze
I thought you were trying to write "Minute in G" THEN "Sheep May Safely Graze" and got the comma in the wrong place.

The sight of a minuet being done by G Sheep was fascinating . . . they all looked like Dolly on that Abused Stuffed Animal Psychotherapy website, each with a little "G" on its label, all lined up dancing. Their little black legs looked so cute!

But now you're telling me that it's really a tune called "Gee Sheep?" Is "Gee Sheep" the antithesis to a tune called "Haw Sheep?" Instead of a bodhran, do you simply use barking border collies?

Or is it "Gee, Sheep!" A song to memorialize one's first visit to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival?

This is such a good example to use in a lesson on "Why Commas Matter." Do you mind if I use it? :wink:

And can you share the music?
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

In my younger years I used to perform in coffee houses, nursing homes, and occasionally on the street, singing and playing guitar and harmonica. I found it helpful to have a tune list taped to my guitar, because I had difficulty remembering the names and the sequence of the tunes that I wanted to play. If I could just get started with the tune, I was able to play the tune all the way through. In recent years I have played the solo Irish flute at the downtown farmer’s market on Saturday, mainly just for fun.

Jim, it looks like you have a pretty good list of tunes already. I play many of the same ones that you do. Here are others that I play. A few of the tunes are a little challenging for an open-hole Irish flute, but they are good practice for half-holing. Please forgive me if I duplicate yours, Jim.

They Say That Falling in Love is Wonderful, I’m Always Chasing Rainbows,
When Your Smiling, Jean, How Can I Keep From Singing (Quaker tune),
Theme from Finlandia, Largo from the New World Symphony, To a Wild Rose,
Carry Me Back to Old Virginia, My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose (Burns), Shenandoah, Aura Lee (Love Me Tender), From a Jack to a Queen (country), Beautiful Dreamer (Foster), La Golandrina (The Swallow), La Valentina, La Poloma (The Dove), San Antonio Rose, Mexicali Rose, Blue Danube Waltz, Tales From the Vienna Woods, My Old Kentucky Home, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Have I Told You Lately That I Love You.

You’ll Never Know Just How Much I Love You, I Saw You Last Night and Got That Old Feeling, A Paper Doll That I Can Call My Own, Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter, It Had to be You, I’ll Be Seeing You in All the Old Familiar Places, More Than You’ll ever know, Stardust (Carmichael- a little challenging), When Somebody Loves You, Someone to Watch Over Me, I Dream of Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair, Midnight on the Water (Texas Fiddle tune), Ashokan Farewell (fiddle tune, theme song from the TV programs about the Civil War), Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine, Irish jigs: Road to Lisdoonvarna, Lanigan’s Ball, Swallow Tail, Off She Goes, The Kesh Jig, hornpipes: Boys of Bluehill, Rights of Man, Harvest Home, Jacky Tar, Whistling Mike, Lamplighter’s Hornpipe.

Don’t get me started, Jim. Learn these and have them ready for your next lesson, when I will give you a new list.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This is such a good example to use in a lesson on "Why Commas Matter." Do you mind if I use it? [wink]

And can you share the music?

I'll share the music as
soon as I make it up.
Commas are for sissies!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Doug_Tipple wrote:In my younger years I used to perform in coffee houses, nursing homes, and occasionally on the street, singing and playing guitar and harmonica. I found it helpful to have a tune list taped to my guitar, because I had difficulty remembering the names and the sequence of the tunes that I wanted to play. If I could just get started with the tune, I was able to play the tune all the way through. In recent years I have played the solo Irish flute at the downtown farmer?s market on Saturday, mainly just for fun.

Jim, it looks like you have a pretty good list of tunes already. I play many of the same ones that you do. Here are others that I play. A few of the tunes are a little challenging for an open-hole Irish flute, but they are good practice for half-holing. Please forgive me if I duplicate yours, Jim.

They Say That Falling in Love is Wonderful, I?m Always Chasing Rainbows,
When Your Smiling, Jean, How Can I Keep From Singing (Quaker tune),
Theme from Finlandia, Largo from the New World Symphony, To a Wild Rose,
Carry Me Back to Old Virginia, My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose (Burns), Shenandoah, Aura Lee (Love Me Tender), From a Jack to a Queen (country), Beautiful Dreamer (Foster), La Golandrina (The Swallow), La Valentina, La Poloma (The Dove), San Antonio Rose, Mexicali Rose, Blue Danube Waltz, Tales From the Vienna Woods, My Old Kentucky Home, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Have I Told You Lately That I Love You.

You?ll Never Know Just How Much I Love You, I Saw You Last Night and Got That Old Feeling, A Paper Doll That I Can Call My Own, Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter, It Had to be You, I?ll Be Seeing You in All the Old Familiar Places, More Than You?ll ever know, Stardust (Carmichael- a little challenging), When Somebody Loves You, Someone to Watch Over Me, I Dream of Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair, Midnight on the Water (Texas Fiddle tune), Ashokan Farewell (fiddle tune, theme song from the TV programs about the Civil War), Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine, Irish jigs: Road to Lisdoonvarna, Lanigan?s Ball, Swallow Tail, Off She Goes, The Kesh Jig, hornpipes: Boys of Bluehill, Rights of Man, Harvest Home, Jacky Tar, Whistling Mike, Lamplighter?s Hornpipe.

Don?t get me started, Jim. Learn these and have them ready for your next lesson, when I will give you a new list.
No, no, give me more right now!

Great suggestions, Doug, for
which I'm grateful. You and I are among the dwindling few
who know 'You'll Never Know Just How Much I Love You.'
'Just the Way You Look Tonight' has just come to mind.

Help me, gang, this includes you too, Peggy.
More tunes, PLEASE.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

jim stone wrote:Help me, gang, this includes you too, Peggy.
More tunes, PLEASE.

Why are you picking on ME? My repertoire is limited. Six months isn't a long time, you know. Got off to a slow start.

And, mind you, I'm not saying I can actually play these in any fashion anyone would want to listen to. I can get the main notes out and that's about it. But I try. (As my neighbors would say, "So, I hear you're still trying, eh?")

Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Clair de Lune (in French)
Simple Gifts
Over the Sea to Skye
Din Tarrant's No. 5 (The March Past)
The Water is Wide
A few bits of "Thinking on the Train"
Down by Yon Sally Gardens
Star of the County Down
The Kerry Polka
Buachaill on Eirne
Baidin Fheilimi (which I adore)

The Butterfly (I learned this one during a hurricane, so the poor butterfly gets blown around a bit more than your customary Irish butterfly.)

King of the Fairies (A bizarre version, I expect. The only recording I've heard was a harp, so it's kind of a plucked flute rendition.)

Terry Teehan's and part of whatever that is that follows it on the Lunasa CD. The whatever-it-is just appeared tonight. I was trying to play Terry Teehan's and something wasn't right. It turned out to be the tune that follows it. The A part. There's more that I can't grasp quite yet.

(Edited to say that it's the WFO version by Mike McGoldrick that I've been working on, and apparently also the one on the Lunasa CD, which appear to have a differing second tune, thus explaining the mental jumble. Must investigate further.)

Something else from a Lunasa CD which I keep forgetting to listen and see what it is. Several more bits from Lunasa CDs, in fact. (I like Lunasa CDs because I can pick out the basic tune more easily. Other artists seem to mudge it up, but Kevin Crawford is clear.)

Oh, I nearly forgot. Baa Baa Black Sheep.
Last edited by Lambchop on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks. I've never learned the Butterfly, in fact.

More tunes, anybody? I'll
give you a cut of what I earn on the street.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tune

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Jim Stone

Try Neil Gow's Farewell to Whisky. It sounds lovely on the flute.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Try some Quebecois waltzes -- Waltz of the Toys is fun, I'm listening to Chris Norman's recording of Valse Frontenac right now. Lovely tunes. They're both on JC's.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks to all. Any more? Pleeeeeze?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I just realized that I didn't quite notice this wasn't the thread I thought I was answering. Thought this was the list-yer-tunes thread.

Nothing like being alert to one's environment, is there.

Edited my post above to mention that I was confused about Terry Teehan's because there are two versions. Hmm. I think the tune following each is different. Thus explaining why the dots aren't the same. Or maybe they were, but I was wearing different glasses.

Anyway, you wanted recommendations.

Lord Mayo. It's one of my favorites. One version I heard has a lovely drive to it. On my list to tackle, but it's been more than I could deal with. Maybe I'll try it again soon.
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

It's great to play a mix of music. Try some of the tunes from the dancing master(Playford) : Twas within a a furlong of Edinbro' town, The Beaux Strategem, The Tuneful Nightingale. Or a few classic things: Purcell's rondeau from the fairy Queen, and earlier stuff, Lamento di Tristino, Wolsey's Wilde by William Byrd. le Rossignol en Amour by Couperin.
sigh so much music you can't play it all.
Rob