Flaming Hot Cheetos

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flaming Hot Cheetos

Post by Miwokhill »

I had bought a bag of the flamin' hot cheetos last year and was munching away in the car driving home from work. They sure are hot and since I like hot I kept munching away and thinking 'what kind of pepper are they using in these things to get that certain spicy flavor?' I thought they might be using 2 different kinds of pepper perhaps so when I got home I scope out the ingredients and...NO PEPPER AT ALL! --From what I could figure they obtain their unique hot and spicy zing from a combination of MSG and citric acid. In fact the MSG is pretty far up there on the list. So unless I'm mistaken, I was once...--- at any rate I haven't touched them since.
Interesting too that the Doritos- I also like the Salsa Doritos- also have alot of MSG; also very high on the list of ingredients. Maybe I'm overly wary of msg due to all the 'we use no msg' signs at Chinese food places. Anyone have any thoughts or more knowledge on this? -mike
missy

Post by missy »

If you are concerned that you have may have problems with MSG - and you ate those Cheerios or Doritos and didn't have problems, don't worry.

I don't need to look at ingredient lists or ask if something has MSG in it. I can tell within 15 minutes of ingesting something that does. My face will get flushed and hot. My sinuses will start to swell. And, if I get a high enough "dose", I'll loose my voice and start to have some breathing trouble.

MSG stands for "monosodium glutanate" and it's a "flavor enhancer". Certain flavors present themselves better on the tongue when the tongue has been "primed" by something else. Fat is a flavor enhancer - that's why fat free foods taste pretty bland. MSG is the same thing. It primes the taste buds to accept the salty / sweet / acid and bitter flavors (all other "flavors" aren't sensed by the tongue, but are actually aromas that are sensed by the nose, that's why when you have a cold, food taste weird).

So - unless you are "sensitive / allergic" to MSG, there's really nothing "wrong" with it. And, like I said, you would have known you were sensitive after eating that bag of Cheerios.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Missy, I hear what you're saying and no I don't have allegic reactions to msg but am still not so sure it's ok and not to worry. I may not have 'problems' with alot of things like artificial sweeteners but I avoid them like the plague. I'm just thinking that msg may still not be good for you even though it doesn't cause an allergic reaction. - mike
DearTabatha

Post by DearTabatha »

it is best to avoid all of that artificial processed food....but oh so hard to do it.
Jack

Post by Jack »

They nasty.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

hi miwokhill---Well I'm sure one mega dose won't hurt you even if it's best to avoid it. I don't know the research on msg. But I do remember once in a Chinese restaurant I started feeling sort of strange. I was with a pretty large group of people and I finally blurted out that I thought I might be going crazy because my cheeks felt numb. Then everyone else said that they were feeling the same way. We decided it must have been a very large dose of msg we got. Or maybe I was actually going crazy and the others became hysterically crazy. But I've never had those symptoms since.
I can just see you peering away at the label :-? , hunting and hunting for something that would explain the flavor----one of life's odd little moments.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol:
missy, he wasn't eating flamin' hot Cheerios, they were Cheetos. Maybe you don't eat that much junk food. I would be mighty surprised to see Flamin' Hot Cheerios on the shelf.

But I surely found your response most informative.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sometimes one can find hot versions of Chex mix, with Cheerios. :)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:roll: Well, okay, and I suppose you might find them in haggis too on occasion. And what are those things crawling on you?
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

DearTabatha wrote:it is best to avoid all of that artificial processed food....but oh so hard to do it.
Nooo, my dear! It's not difficult at all!

At least, not after you get beyond a certain point.

After you've been off the junk for even a short while, it will taste just terrible when you do happen to eat some. You realize it's basically tasteless, dry yuck with a lot of salty flavoring.

It'll taste overwhelmingly nasty, to such an extent that you will be inspired to leave it alone.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cynth wrote::roll: Well, okay, and I suppose you might find them in haggis too on occasion. And what are those things crawling on you?
Frogs. They're on Jeff Corwin*, though, not me.

*The hottest non-whistle playing man in the world, of course.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:
Cynth wrote::roll: Well, okay, and I suppose you might find them in haggis too on occasion. And what are those things crawling on you?

From now on, cran, whenever I think of you, I'll think of you as Jeff Corwin with frogs on him...in a pair of really cute hemp sandals ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Peggy, I swear, you just look so you.
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
Cranberry wrote:

From now on, cran, whenever I think of you, I'll think of you as Jeff Corwin with frogs on him...in a pair of really cute hemp sandals ;)
Thank you. :)
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

The reason I brought it up, about the hot cheetos, is that they were so hot and spicy I was curious as to what kind of peppers they had in them. I was shocked to not see any peppers listed at all but the msg/citric acid combination seeming to be what makes them spicy. This made me also check the Doritos and they are loaded with msg as well. Nothing to do with allergic reactions but I'll avoid these in the future and be a little more careful about checking the snack food ingredients.
I think Peggy got it right. -- I think this stuff is potentially unhealthy, to say the least.
- or maybe Cranberry said it best, 'they nasty'

-mike
Last edited by Miwokhill on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.