Clarke's Celtic Tinwhistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
VullNoid

Clarke's Celtic Tinwhistle

Post by VullNoid »

I'm planning on buying my first tinwhistle soon, and I'm going to be teaching myself. I want to buy the Celtic Tinwhistle by Clarke, but I can't find anything that says whether it's tunable or not. It's the only thing holding me back from buying right now, because if I ended up with a tunable one I wouldn't have any clue how to do it. I do have a bass tuner (somewhere), but I don't know if that's how it works.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stuck on limbo bridge,
Where below me ol' Nick grins,
Then laughs through the chaos of it all,
Gets up off his chair,
Spins a jig to my despair,
He can't wait to count the times where I went wrong.
-Flogging Molly
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The Celtic whistle straight from the factory is NOT tunable. The Celtic whistle is esencially a Sweetone painted a certain shade of green, has a celtic logo where it would say sweetone, and comes in a green boxe with a fingering chart and simple tunes. This was my first whistle it is one of the best low priced Whistles. Get it, you won't regret it. I just made that up and it is amazing.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

hi there, you're very welcome

the celtic whistle is the same whistle as a clarke sweetone, just a different colour.

you're better of to get an improved one alltogether, and they are tunable:
http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... weaked.htm
VullNoid

Post by VullNoid »

Wow, I got replies so quickly! Thank you both very very much.

Unseen122, I'm glad to hear about it from someone else's own experience. I've decided that I will be getting a Celtic. Thank you for your help!

lixnaw, I was wondering about the similarities of the Celtic to the Sweetone. I would get an improved one, but we're a bit limited moneywise at the moment and this'll be my first time, so I figure I'll get a good cheap one to start and get something better if I want to later. Thank you for the link, though, it'll be helpful later. :D
Stuck on limbo bridge,
Where below me ol' Nick grins,
Then laughs through the chaos of it all,
Gets up off his chair,
Spins a jig to my despair,
He can't wait to count the times where I went wrong.
-Flogging Molly
bjs

Post by bjs »

This was my first whistle it is one of the best low priced Whistles. Get it, you won't regret it.
Me too. I stumbled into whistleing by accident and bought a Sweetone. It lasted me for a long time. Apart from the weak Cnat I was well satisfied. I may have been lucky ie can't comment on variability of production as I only bought one :lol:

Brian
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm thinking about getting a Celtic whistle as well.

Does it make a big difference if you don't buy the tweaked whistle?
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well the tweaked one is better because it is closer to one of the handmade expensive whistles but the sweetone is a nice whistle I started on it and have not had any problems playing and now I am on to the more expensive whistles.

Post by Guest »

"tratochicnic
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2005 21:37 Post subject:
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm thinking about getting a Celtic whistle as well.

Does it make a big difference if you don't buy the tweaked whistle?"

I don't think I could find the heart to 'tweak' an innocent TW, maybe I am tone deaf?

I have played around with several over the years and besides a solid scrubbing off of dirt, haven't had to do anything else.

The sound you get from them is mostly how you blow them. I am listening to Mary Bergin, on CD, just now and she sounds as good and better than I recall her playing almost 40 years ago live on Radio Eireann - as it was then called - the point being it was she who popularised the Generation and often you'd hear people say how good a whistle it was as opposed to others ,for example the Clarke-

But OC neither of them cost more than a couple of packets of fags or a few pints of Guinness AND the Clarks were all in C where-as the Generation could be got in D - which was regarded as almost sin, in those days. Quite why I never did find out.

Anyhow the lesson here is that if you cannot take it out of a 5 dollar TW. buying a 5000 dollar model wouldn't be much help to you.

Se la vie!

:0)