Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation D--review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation D--review

Post by Wanderer »

review at http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/reviews.asp

Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation D
(Review written February 2005)

Preface
Jerry Freeman is probably the world's only professional full-time pennywhistle tweaker. Tweaking means, simply, to change a whistle to try and improve it. This can be done by modifying the mouthpiece or tube in various ways. A classic simple tweak is to squeeze a Clarke mouthpiece a little more closed, so that it takes less breath. I say "simple" but I've always failed at even that small of a tweak. So it hardly suffices to say that I'm in awe of the level of tweaking Jerry does. With each whistle Jerry sent, he included a sheet detailing what tweaks are done on that brand of whistle. I assume he sends that to everyone.

I wrote Jerry and let him know I was going to do a mostly-negative review of a Generation tinwhistle. It's known that good Generations are prized instruments treasured by their owners. It's also known that finding a "good" generation is an undertaking of near epic proportions. So in the interests of fair play, I asked Jerry if he'd send me one of his tweaked Generations so that hopefully both sides of the Generation coin could be explored. He did one better, and sent me five different tweaked whistle brands to review!

Today, we'll be taking a look at the Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation. Generations are the "pure drop" standard that many traditional whistlers swear by. They're made in just about every soprano key imagineable, but Jerry only tweaks high G, F, Eb, D, C and Bb. That should cover just about anyone's needs, really. Jerry makes a number of changes to improve the base whistle. As he describes his tweaks: "It plays sweeter/purer than currently manufactured Generations." Indeed it does! And without sacrificing that "Generation" sound. He also mentions that his tweaks help minimize buzzing, rattling, and squawking. This one was certainly free of those defects as well.

At a Glance
Whistle Reviewed: Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation
Models Available: Tweaked D
Construction: Brass tube, with a plastic mouthpiece.
Price at time of review: $36.50 US
Available From:
The Whistle Shop
Big Whistle Music
Whistle and Drum
Gaelic Crossings
Elderly Instruments
MyTinwhistle.com
How Acquired: Product sample from Jerry Freeman
Bottom Line: Slightly sweeter and easier to play than a traditional Generation, without losing that raspy-scratchiness and start-of-note chiff that makes them beloved among old-school traditional musicians.

Appearance/Construction
Generations come in nickel (with blue mouthpiece) and brass (with red mouthpiece), and generally look very similar to most other cheap whistle brands out there. I got a brass one from Jerry, which was nice, since nickel always feels a little slippery to me.

Here's the full-sized whistle. Due to its reflective nature, you can see Jerry's BluTack tweak in this view. This tweak is performed by filling the cavity below the windway with wax or BluTack (that weird blue putty stuff used in offices to temporarily hold up posters and the like).

Here's a closeup of the labium ramp. Due to the flash, it's hard to see, but it looks as if Jerry has sanded down the labium ramp, sharpened it, and added a bit of guitar-pick or something to build it up from underneath.

Here's a better angle on the BluTack tweak. I'm not sure Jerry actually uses BluTack for this tweak, due to the non-blue nature of the filler.

Here's a view of Jerry's logo. His stickers look nice and professional.

Playing Characteristics
This whistle is slightly quieter than non-tweaked Generations. But only slightly. There's a world of difference in playability. It has that nice traditional chiffy burst at the beginning of a note. It has a slight bit of that raspy chiff throughout a note. Unlike the Clarke or Shaw (which I would describe as windy) the chiff in a Generation is more raspy or scratchy. It's a unique sound that old-school traditionalists crave in a whistle. Jerry does a good job of preserving it while improving the playability of the whistle tremendously.

A sound clip of the whistle:
Fraher's Jig-Here's a clip of a jig on the whistle.

Volume: This whistle is on the quiet side. It'll be drowned out by really loud sessions. But if you're playing in a more moderate session, where your goal is to blend in nicely without standing out, this whistle fits the bill.

Responsiveness: Extremely Fast. I didn't have any problem playing any ornaments at full throttle. This whistle kept up with everything I could throw at it, and remained crisp and clean sounding.

C-Natural: The cross-fingered C-Natural on this whistle is a little erratic and hard to control with the breath. OXXOOO produces a c-natural that's easy to blow sharp. OXXXOO stabilizes it some, but not much. On a fast tune, it won't really matter much. On slow tunes, learn to half-hole.

Tuning: Generations are normally non-tunable unless you break the seal on the mouthpiece. Since Jerry does this in the course of his tweaking, that leaves the whistle tunable by moving the mouthpiece up and down the whistle body. This whistle is fairly in tune across the range. The F# requires a little push, but can be worked with. Jerry tells me he doesn't tweak the holes at all on these, so I'm assuming his mouthpiece tweaks help bring the whistle into tune. The untweaked Generation D I'm comparing it to is all over the map in terms of tuning. Seriously...the session musicians I let play around on this whistle were amazed at the difference.

Hole Size and placement: This whistle has holes with average size and placement. There are no weird spacings. If you can play a soprano D, you can play this one.

Air volume and pressure requirements:
Breath pressure: Light. It doesn't take much pressure to blow this whistle, and the 2nd octave is likewise very easy to hit.
Breath volume: Low. I think Jerry's tweaks make this instrument evey easier on the air volume requirements. It simply doesn't take a lot of air. After being used to the breath required for my Copeland and Greewood whistles, I was able to get through two repetitions of an A part of a reel, and part of the B part on a single breath.

Clogging: This whistle had a little moisture buildup within fifteen or twenty minutes of constant playing. However, it didn't really ever give out on me or change it's playing characteristics significantly. I was able to play through any given set, and then blow the whistle out at need.

Summary
Readers of the Chiff and Fipple whistle discussion board will know that I'm not a fan of Generation D whistles. This has nothing to do with their sound, but rather with their poor quality control. I've never bought one that was in tune with itself, and I've bought perhaps a dozen of them. However, I must say that I really really like Jerry's Generation D. It has that great old-school sound, without any of poor tuning and playability that I've come to expect from Generations.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks, Greg.

It's really nice of you to take the time and trouble to put together these reviews.

I should mention that I don't use blutack or the equivalent on tweaked Generations. I do use it on some of the other tweaks I do, but on Generations, putty or wax in the cavity under the windway dulls a certain birdlike brightness that's an important dimension of the whistle's sound. (Peter pointed this out to me when I sent him an early prototype during the development of this tweaking scheme.)

To solve this, I developed an accoustically transparent material to use for the fill. It's an extremely lightweight material that transmits, rather than reflects sound. The effect of using the accoustically transparent material to fill under the windway is that the characteristic birdlike brightness remains because the sound goes right through the fill and resonates off the outer thin plastic shell under the mouthpiece, but the airflow is contained in front of the "block" part of the mouthpiece, reducing turbulance in the airflow and helping to stabilize the whistle and reduce the tendency to buzz, rattle and squawk.

I hope that made sense.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Wanderer, it's all because of WHO YOU ARE!!
:lol:
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

lol!

I realize you're probably speaking a little tounge-in-cheek, but I did want to talk about this. There's always the danger of a reviewer getting "the good ones"--computer video cards are a prime example: Manufacturers know what tests reviewers use to rate them, and so design their cards and software to perform brilliantly on these test, even though real-world performance may be considerably below those indicators. When you push the "print a demo" button on a color inkjet printer at the store, and you get a breathtaking picture, you can be certain that they have chosen and then fine-tuned a picture that will look the best when printed from their printer.

I feel like I have a responsibility to be as accurate as possible when making my reviews. I also feel like I have a responsibility to be objective. It's why I try to take close-up pics and make recordings. What I may not like about a whistle, others may, and vice versa. So I try to speak about characteristics rather than about "good and bad". Though, like all reviewers, I'm certainly also going to say what I do and don't personally like about a product.

My website does get between 30,000 and 40,000 hits a month according to Google's adsense. I certainly would encourage makers to send me the best of their work, not only for their own benefit, but also, well, because I'd like their best work! :)

That said, I'm not convinced that I necessarily get the cream of the crop when I get whistles...especially when I order them myself. When I buy whistles, I don't generally make a big fuss about "who I am". :roll: It's more along the lines of "Hi, I'd like to buy a whistle, and this is what I'd like, what kind of money do you take?" I usually don't order from my tinwhistler.com domain email, and I'm pretty sure I'm not so 'famous' that all the whistle makers out there know my full name and address and then leap into a frenzy hoping to get their best work on my website. ;)

Then there are whistles like the Meg. I've heard some bad things about it...so I ordered one from Thom at the whistle shop. The one I got is practically indistinguishable from a regular sweetone in construction and playability. And I'm pretty sure that since these come with shrink-wrap on them, there was no picking out a good one for me :)

I do try to mention any negatives I've heard "in the grapevine" about a whistle..such as quality control problems, or Jessie's unhappiness with the finish on her Greenwood. I do occasionally go back and correct things in my reviews, and if a maker gets a reputation for shoddy work, even if I got an abosulte gem, one can be sure that the information will end up on my reviews page.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I work to pretty close tolerances, typically .001 or .002 inches on critical dimensions, so the whistles are rather consistent in how they turn out. Over the long haul, I continue to gain insights, and the quality of output tends to improve as a result, so a more recent version of a Jerry tweaked whistle might be somewhat of an improvement over an earlier version of the same whistle.

Having said that, of the ones I do, the tweaked Shaws vary the most. I try to maintain a minimum standard that means every whistle that goes out should be quite a fine instrument, but from time to time, a customer will point out something about a whistle they're not happy about. As I've said on other threads, I go to pretty extreme lengths to make sure every customer is 100% satisfied, so I hope no one will be shy about trying out my work. Regardless of whether a customer bought the whistle directly from me or from one of the vendors, I'll always work with them to make sure they're completely happy.

Best wishes,
Jerry
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I hereby nominate Wanderer for the coveted, prized, highly sought after and generally popular ANNUAL C&F BEST REVIEWER AWARD.

The award, as usual, will consist of the ever popular C&F Smoking Jacket with the addition of shoulder epaulettes with gold clusters and a coupon redeemable for one order of hot wings at any Wings Are Us. :D

Just kidding but not really. We need to recognize the effort that goes into this. I find reviews of this depth and quality of immense value. :)
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Excellent review Wanderer.

Edited because I didn't know how to spell excellent.
Bloomfield

Re: Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation D--review

Post by Bloomfield »

Wanderer wrote:C-Natural: The cross-fingered C-Natural on this whistle is a little erratic and hard to control with the breath. OXXOOO produces a c-natural that's easy to blow sharp. OXXXOO stabilizes it some, but not much. On a fast tune, it won't really matter much. On slow tunes, learn to half-hole.
This being a Generation, the accepted c-natural fingering would be forked: oxx xox. Give a good c-natural and facitilitates many transitions.
Readers of the Chiff and Fipple whistle discussion board will know that I'm not a fan of Generation D whistles. This has nothing to do with their sound, but rather with their poor quality control. I've never bought one that was in tune with itself, and I've bought perhaps a dozen of them.
I don't think they are meant to be "in tune" if you mean that to refer to equal temprament. While I've never studied it, I think the tuning on the Generation is a compromise between equal and just intonations.
However, I must say that I really really like Jerry's Generation D. It has that great old-school sound, without any of poor tuning and playability that I've come to expect from Generations.
The JerryGens I own and have tried, to my ear sound different from how they sound off the shelf. The sound becomes rounder, more open; whether that's an improvement or not is a matter of taste.
/Bloomfield
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation D--review

Post by Wanderer »

Thanks for the tip about the forked fingering for C-Nat..i'll give it at try.

As for the equal/just temperament thing, I don't think that the generations I used to own fit the definition of "in tune" for either definition. As for "doing a study" I did buy a box of 10 on Ebay, and at one time I put a number of them again a tuner, and posted the results. I tried to do a search for it recently, and couldn't find the post. I don't have the measurements saved on my computer, but wish I did. I seem to recall it was right around the first time we'd ever discussed equal/just temperament here, years ago.

The tuning as I remember it could best be described as "random"...On some, for instance, F# was way sharp. On others, F# was way flat. On both examples, the B might be in tune, for instance. None of them showed any real tuning consistencies that I could recall. If they were all consistently sharp the same amount, or flat the same amount, I might buy that theory more. But they weren't..they really were closer to "random". I may have just gotten a box of a bunch of stinkers...but the D I just recently got, and the C I have had for years also seem to follow that trend.

I've always had pretty good luck with their F's though.
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

The first whistle i ever bought was in 95 and it was a generation B flat. And that whistle was so awful it put me off playing whistle completely until a couple of months ago when i bought a cheap wooden thing off eBay.

Ok, i had to retune that cheap wooden thing, but at least it does sound nice. That generation was out of tune and the tone was appaling. I can't think of anything good to say about it. I had a go of a couple more generations two weeks ago, and they sounded just as bad.

If Jerry can make those things sound good then he's obviously very good at what he does.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

In all fairness, if you don't fundamentally like the way Generations sound, you probably won't like Jerry's tweaks either.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Wanderer wrote:In all fairness, if you don't fundamentally like the way Generations sound, you probably won't like Jerry's tweaks either.
Good point, but Toots is just as likely to have been put of by a squawking example of Gens iffy quality control...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Does Gen have quality control?