Weird British Gambling.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Weird British Gambling.

Post by emmline »

I just read, in the Baltimore Sun, that "novelty betting," is a new hot thing in the UK.
People are placing bets on whether/when Britney Spears will occupy the White House, whether their own grandmothers will live to 100, or how many sips of water the chancellor will take while addressing the House of Commons.
Warren Lush, the chief oddsmaker at Ladbrokes Ltd says:
"If I lived in a vault and based what was going on outside solely on the bets we get, I'd think I live in a very strange country."

So, what strange bets do UK chiffers make?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

I'm betting your new larfin whistle sounds sweeeeeeeeet (but it's still not my preciousssss!). I'm also betting I know what Amar's gonna be thinking when he reads this, and I'm betting it won't be long before cranberry tells us we shouldn't make light of gambling like this because he is/was/knows/is related to/read about someone who is/was a gambling addict.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

I bet this topic goes to page 2 because of everyone's seemingly clever, spur-of-the-moment bets.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jeff Stallard wrote:I bet this topic goes to page 2 because of everyone's seemingly clever, spur-of-the-moment bets.
Right, yer on!

uhm... sportsman's bet though, okay?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

My bookmakers willing to give even money odds that within 5 years Gary Kelly will actually look like his avatar.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

What're the odds that I already do?
susnfx

Re: Weird British Gambling.

Post by susnfx »

emmline wrote:...whether their own grandmothers will live to 100...
One fears for the grandmothers who aren't living up to their end of the bargain...or are living up to their end...or whatever.

Susan
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I don't see any of that as wierder than betting on whether a single snowflake will fall on the roof of the London Weather Centre on Christmas Day, or whether Elvis will be discovered, disguised as Lord Lucan, living in a Council flat in Milton Keynes, before the year 2010.

You've gotta be a lot more eccentric (and inventive) than that before you can claim to be an eccentric in England.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

A single snowflake as opposed to none at all, or as opposed to more than one?

Bill Bryson mentioned a great English eccentric in his books "Notes from a Small Country". I believe this was the fellow who didn't like anyone to see him, and instructed his staff to pretend he was a statue if they accidentally saw him on one of his rare voyages out of his area of the mansion, yet built a huge underground ballroom. When he died, they found a large room filled to bursting with identical green boxes, each containing a single dark wig. According to Bryson, "This was a man worth knowing".