Warning! -- Annoying Newbie Q's

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Armstrong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Warning! -- Annoying Newbie Q's

Post by Armstrong »

Hello, All!

I'd like to say how fortunate I am to have found this marvelous forum. I've spent quite a bit of time combing through the archives just absorbing all the wonderful information herein.

The first thing I should confess is that I'm a complete musical neophyte. Never took band in high school (or grade school, for that matter). Never heard an instrument that would compel me to learn music, until I first heard the tin whistle.

Preamble over. Two questions (for now..heh):

1. What exactly is "backpressure," and why are instruments that have some measure of it not recommended for beginning players?

2. The song I was seduced by is called "John of the Glen" -- anyone heard of this, and, if so, where I might find the sheet for it?

Again, thanks for being experienced whistle players (and answering these annoying questions!)

Ed
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

WARNING: OLDIE ANSWER

I neither care nor know what backpressure is and I never heard of that tune (pronounced "chune').

Just kidding; welcome aboard. The backpressure response should come from one of the Overton afficionados on the Board. All I know is, Overtons and Chieftains, acknowledged generally as having lot of backpressure, respond noticeably differently than most other whistles (Copelands, Sindts, Burkes, assorted cheapies, etc.) and do take some getting used to especially for beginners. It takes a good volume of air to sound the notes and to transition to the upper octave; however, there is not really a high air requirement in that one does not get out of breath easily as a lot of notes get played by the volume of air (Copelands while not requiring great volumes of air, tend to have high air requirements to keep playing notes.)

The air somehow gets dispersed but comes back....

Now you know why I shouldn't have tried to answer the question. Bloomfield, where are you when we need you?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Welcome Armstrong :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

Joanie Madden does John of the Glen on her cd Songs of the Irish Whistle Volume 2. I haven't found sheet music yet.
Susan
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Hi Ed! Welcome to the forum :)
I had asked the backpressure question a while back, and found the answers to be very informative. Here's the thread:

<a href=http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ckpressure thread</a>

Hope that helps!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Sean O Duibhir a Gleanna or John O Dwyer of the Glen appears both as a set dance and as a song. It is often sung to the same air as Sliabh gael gua na feile.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: Warning! -- Annoying Newbie Q's

Post by StevieJ »

Armstrong wrote: 2. The song I was seduced by is called "John of the Glen" -- anyone heard of this, and, if so, where I might find the sheet for it?
The tune you are looking for might be "Seán Ó Duibhir an Ghleanna" or, in English, "John O Dwyer of the Glen".

It exists both as a set dance (hornpipe rhythm) and a slow air. Try going to John Chamber's ABC tune finder at http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html and entering either "Dwyer" or "Duibhir" into the search box. It can probably be found in printed collections too.

To pick up a slow air from sheet music is very difficult, by the way. If you really are a complete musical neophyte, my advice (I know you're not asking for it, but still...) would be to start with simpler things and tackle this tune (if indeed this is the tune you are talking about) a little way down the line.

Steve

PS Peter beat me to it, I see. :)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The easy backpressure answer is this:

Think of blowing through a straw.
Then think of blowing through a coffee stirrer (you know, those very small straws).

The air moves easily through the straw.
The air moves a lot less easily through the stirrer.

The "push back" you feel while blowing through the stirrer is back pressure.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Wanderer wrote:The easy backpressure answer is this:

Think of blowing through a straw.
Then think of blowing through a coffee stirrer (you know, those very small straws).

The air moves easily through the straw.
The air moves a lot less easily through the stirrer.

The "push back" you feel while blowing through the stirrer is back pressure.
would have been my answer too, then again, there are people that make a distinction between resistance and backpressure, that however goes beyond my knowledge.

ahh, welcome to the board dude.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Welcome.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Welcome. If you haven't discovered abc notation yet, visit the ABC Homepage, http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/. Its a way of transcribing tunes using the alphabet. Almost any traditional tune can be found on one of the abc lists then transcibed by software into sheet music.

As for learning on your own, go for it. While I would dearly love to walk down to the pub and sip a pint of Killian's before joining the local session each evening, that just ain't gonna happen in North Texas. Those of us in the far-flung reaches of the Irish Empire must make do with cds, the Net, C&F forum and abc tunes on our computer screen. I picked up the Irish whistle after hearing Joanie Madden's Songs of the Irish Whistle cd. I've can play an almost recognizable rendition of Roisin Dubh now. The gods smile when I play, prefering I play badly rather than not at all!
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

My opinion is stupid and wrong.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

sbruyette wrote:Joanie Madden does John of the Glen on her cd Songs of the Irish Whistle Volume 2. I haven't found sheet music yet.
Scroll up and see Peter's spelling of it, then look for it in Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland by O'Canain and also in Ireland's Best 110 Slow Airs (Walton's). It's in both.
Last edited by blackhawk on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Armstrong

Many, Many Thanks!

Post by Armstrong »

Wow! Thanks to everyone who posted, both for the great answers and for making me feel welcome!

I should have noted in my first post that I work nights -- thus the late rejoinder.

John of the Glen (I won't try the Irish spelling of it just yet -- I'm a neophyte student of that esteemed language as well) is a song that I only aspire to play. Best I can do so far is London Bridge!

But I'll keep you folks posted on my progress -- thanks again!