For Sale: Andreas Rogge D chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

For Sale: Andreas Rogge D chanter

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Brand new D chanter in plumwood, brass and faux ivory. Has four keys F natural (ring type), G sharp, B flat and C natural. This chanter has a wooden top. The price I'm asking is what Andreas currently charges for a new chanter of this description but on offer here without the waiting time. I ordered this chanter on March 10th 2001 and just received it last week. I paid a lot more due to shipping and parts still extant etc. There may also be a stop key head at some point which will be for sale when it arrives.

This is one of the best Rogge chanters I've ever played and is very well in tune with a very responsive reed. This chanter vibrates really nicely in the hands and is a lot of fun to play.

Price: €1300
Pictures: Coming soon
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

some time ago mrRogge contacted me about boxwood D chanter, he had one left, (becouse made by accident for rigthhanded piper). price was 1200e
ust for the chanter (Silver ferrules etc.)
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Good for you. This chanter has four keys.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

For all those people out there looking for a practice set, getting a nice chanter (such as this one) should be your main objective. It is relatively easy to find someone to make a bag and bellows for you (or pick one up second hand). Michael Dow, for instance, makes a great bellows and that bellows would be able to be played forever as you upgraded.

So many practice sets don't have chanters like this available (recently made from a name maker). The chanter is the engine and this is an opportunity to get off to a great start.
L42B

Post by L42B »

(inquiry for a friend)

Is there a possibilty that the chanter could come with a bag and bellows. I've been looking for a set for a good friend of mine and price is an issue. Parick if you could find a bag and bellows I might notify my friend of this (at pipe band practice tomorrow).

Due to exchange rates he wouldn't be able to just afford the chanter. If you offered me a price in US dollers it would be cheaper for us than Eu currancy.

Cheers L42B :)
PS: Any chance of some pictures.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There will be pictures up later today. If your friend wants a practice set he can order a bag and bellows from the maker of his choice and just have the chanter stock drilled to fit the Rogge tube, I can give you that measurement if you need it. I don't have a bag and bellows to sell with the chanter. This isn't your run of the mill chanter.

Patrick.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

L42B wrote:Due to exchange rates he wouldn't be able to just afford the chanter. If you offered me a price in US dollers it would be cheaper for us than Eu currancy.
Isn't the price the same to you in Australia no matter what the currency is? Whether the price is expressed to you in Euros, US or Canadian Dollars, GBPs, won't it have the same value in Australian currency?
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

My Rogge chanter I ordered in November 2002 and got last January 2004 is the same as Patrick's part from being left-handed in plumwood, brass and boxwood with high D tuning screw which is screwed right across the hole. I have the straight F key.

The E note on my chanter has wax in the hole.

I now use a Howard reed in the chanter price £42.00 I changed the bridle/staple to a Rogge staple and a wire bridle and cut a bit of the lips.

The chanter is now playing great with an excellent hard D and in tune in the both octaves.

Last edited by Fergmaun on Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
L42B

Post by L42B »

Jim,

No unfortunatly it doesn't work like that (I wish it did though :D). At the moment to get one Euro we have to pay a ratio of 2:1 (there abouts). In other words we have to pay two Australian dollers to get one Euro (to be more precise).. 55.65c euro's buys one Australian doller and 79.31c US dollers buys one Australian doller. For instance if it says 1.00 on the exhange booth it means an equal exchange of one to one.

Patrick,

There's no guaranties that he will perchuse the set. He'll have to think about it. As you can get a Mackenzie Ebony chanter (four keys with bag and bellows) for AU $1200 last I enquired.

However once I tell him how good a Rogge chanter is (and that Lyiam O'Flynn plays one), he might be swayed. You'll have to wait for a response. Which might be in two days-even a week (his wife just bought him a Bodhran for Xmas [oh the humanity :P]).

Cheers L42B :)
PS: Can you give me some measurments as Ian Mackenzie would be most likely making the bag and bellows.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Of course the conversion rate would be different for AUS to whatever but the overall cash value is identical.

1300 Euro = 1700 USD = 2190 AUD = 2105 CAD.
glands

Post by glands »

1300 Euro = 1700 USD
Gulp! :shock: :really:
glands

Post by glands »

To clarify......

My "gulp" is all about the exchange rate and not at all intended to reflect any assumptions or opinions I have about the value of what Patrick states is a fine instrument..... and I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I have photos now on my site at:
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/for_sale.html#5

Here they are for convenience sake:

ImageImage

Lots of people are asking me why I'm selling this chanter. I am selling it due to the fact that I just received my Koehler & Quinn full set and would rather it be played, it is definitely made to be played.

Thanks everyone,

Patrick.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

That's a very pretty chanter.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

B-bump.